Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sim Racer or Sim Driver ?

36 posts in this topic

I would say I started out as a sim driver (Accolade GP in the late 80's up through Papyrus Indycar Racing, GP1-GP3, Ubisoft F1RS, NFS, GPL, F1 2002, etc.) enjoying driving different cars and racing the AI, and then took a long break with sim driving until last year, when I rediscovered sims including LFS and rFactor. I really enjoyed downloading and just driving different mods and tracks. Then I tried a few online races on LFS, and then it was on to iRacing to see what it was all about. Since subscribing to iRacing last July, I have barely played the others. No, I'm not particularly fast and don't have tons of hours during the week to practice or race (I probably do 1 race/week), but I definitely get that adrenaline rush now for getting my lap time down, qualifying and then entering a race. In the first few seasons, I would jump around cars more often, but now I'm focusing primarily on one series. I'd say I started out as a 100% sim driver, and am becoming more of a sim racer. I'd probably say I'm now 70% sim racer/ 30% sim driver.

I'm a masochist simracer... Why ?

Well, unlike most (Looks like it) of my comrades, I drive various cars exactly how they were meant to be driven; Paddles/Sequential/H-Shifter, Degrees of Rotation, Steering Ratio, Heel and Toe/No Lift and Blip on Downshift/No Lift and No Blip, etc...

Except in cars with paddle shifters, I right-foot brake and heel&toe.

Some examples of some cars I've driven in various series at Touring Pro Series:

Alfa 75 Turbo (Group A touring car): 900deg, 24° steering lock, H-Shifter and Heel&Toe

Clio Cup: 540deg, 18° steering lock, Sequential and Heel&Toe

V8 Supercar: 540deg, 20° steering lock, Sequential and Heel&Toe

:D

Well, unlike most (Looks like it) of my comrades, I drive various cars exactly how they were meant to be driven; Paddles/Sequential/H-Shifter, Degrees of Rotation, Steering Ratio, Heel and Toe/No Lift and Blip on Downshift/No Lift and No Blip, etc...

Dear Mr. Williams, give me a high five :mrgreen:

You are the kind of simracer that i would love to see on the track just as what i posted before.

I mean, isn't it would feel much better and appreciated if in a simrace you know that the racer who win or at least the racer that you compete with using driving style like the masochist simracer Mr. William here? :P

Well i hope in the future simracing title will just allowed a car to be driven as real as it supposed to be.

In the meanwhile i will search William Levesque in iRacing to see how fast you are, if you wouldn't mind off course ;)

I'm a masochist simracer... Why ?

Some examples of some cars I've driven in various series at Touring Pro Series:

Alfa 75 Turbo (Group A touring car): 900deg, 24° steering lock, H-Shifter and Heel&Toe

Clio Cup: 540deg, 18° steering lock, Sequential and Heel&Toe

V8 Supercar: 540deg, 20° steering lock, Sequential and Heel&Toe

:D

I'm right there with ya. I use whatever the real cars use. I was trained in heel and toe and shuffle steering in the early 90's at Skip Barber, and still use the techniques for sim racing. Occasionally I'll slide my left foot over to brake or to get a little pressure tap when a shift isn't required, but generally it's all right foot brake and 3 foot action (unless it's the Indycar or F1 car, which I rarely drive anyway). I agree - it really makes for a tougher, but more realistic, experience.

Dear Mr. Williams, give me a high five :mrgreen:

You are the kind of simracer that i would love to see on the track just as what i posted before.

I mean, isn't it would feel much better and appreciated if in a simrace you know that the racer who win or at least the racer that you compete with using driving style like the masochist simracer Mr. William here? :P

Well i hope in the future simracing title will just allowed a car to be driven as real as it supposed to be.

In the meanwhile i will search William Levesque in iRacing to see how fast you are, if you wouldn't mind off course ;)

Haha, cheers mate :)

It's been a while since I played iRacing, I tried it out a month or so... I wasn't very lucky though, often caught in first lap mayhem unfortunately. Weirdly enough I had less issues in oval short track racing ! :P

I'm right there with ya. I use whatever the real cars use. I was trained in heel and toe and shuffle steering in the early 90's at Skip Barber, and still use the techniques for sim racing. Occasionally I'll slide my left foot over to brake or to get a little pressure tap when a shift isn't required, but generally it's all right foot brake and 3 foot action (unless it's the Indycar or F1 car, which I rarely drive anyway). I agree - it really makes for a tougher, but more realistic, experience.

Nice ;)

I do drive F1 cars sometime, but 1991 and older only :)

I would say that I am a 100 % Sim Driver.

I prefer to drive around in a nice car, just enjoying the track and the feel of the car. Most like I am doing it in real life. It is fun to drive a car that you cannot be able to drive in real life - or not at the same speed as in a game/sim. So having a good variety of vehicles is important to me.

For me the physics are very important too - i want them to be as close to the real world experience as possible. That is also the reason why I only drive with a wheel and a rig.

Also I am a non-competitive driver. I don't need other drivers on the track. I just try to beat my own lap-times. Having a lot of fun doing that.

Something that goes well with this top and was touched on in the show is the topic of what constitutes a racing sim rather than a 'game'. I'm only just into racing online with titles such as GT5 and F1 2011 which I'm guessing most of you guys would classify as 'games' rather than sims? So if, if titles like GT5, DIRT, F1 2011 etc are 'games' and rFactor, iRacing etc are sims can anyone tell me what it is that makes a title a sim rather than a game? Is it to do with the level of feel, reality, graphics or is it that the other titles are mainly on Xbox and PS3 which are 'games' machines? This maybe another topic for the show or good to here peoples opinions on here.

Well I think it's a fine line of many different feature with the most emphasis on car physics we also have what is called Simcade that is kind of in the middle of Sim and Arcade and is gaining popularity especially on consoles and from what I have heard is quite enjoyable.

I would say that I'm a sim racer rather than driver as I enjoy the competition of beating others. Having said that I do enjoy sometimes doing time trials just to drive on my favourite tracks.

I have only just started using games like Race 07 and feel this is a greater challenge than the likes of F1 2011.

Despite my username I think I am more a sim driver since I am obsessed with testing as many cars on as many tracks as possible with the correct controls regarding steer ratios, steering lock, wheel rotation and shifting procedure but don't really like to push a car to it's absolute limit all the time as required in simracing. For me it feels great to drive a car at about 97% of my absolute ability.