Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sim Racer or Sim Driver ?

36 posts in this topic

Here's the thread for our This Week Inside Sim Racing May 25th edition on are you a sim racer or sim driver ?

Like Shaun and I mentioned, we're in the 75% Sim Racer to 25% Sim Driver. What are you ?

Sim Racer or Sim Driver ?

Our discussion on this topic is at the end of this show..

It really depends on the definitions - for me a Sim Driver is a guy that races the car with the correct controls - i.e. a shifter & clutch is used to race a car that is equipped that way - example being a historic car like a Porsche 917 - if you use the shifter and clutch then you are a sim driver. But if you use the paddles and auto clutch - then your a sim racer.

But that's my definitions.

So, with that in mind - it depends on how well the MOD is made. When the mod is simulated correctly, such as the Historic GT and the 1970 World Sports Cars (both rFactor) then I am 100% a sim Driver. But mods that don't work well with proper controls then I am probably 75% a sim Racer.

I'm both. I drive just as much GT cars as I do bone stock street cars. I still do most of my sim racing and sim driving on the Xbox 360, simply because my PC needs updating to a reasonable standard. The Sims I enjoy are rFactor1, GTR 2, Forza 3 & 4 and Race Pro. I also liked TDU1 still play ocassionally to this day, the physics are terrible if we're all honest, but were good enough not to spoil the enjoyment of the games essence i'e open roads and car appreciation. There is a place for all these games in my gaming library.

What I race on (or in) depends on my mood on any given day.

I would think the majority or Drivers and going to tinker in the middle of being a Driver/Racer.

Lets take Targa Floria for example you don't want to race that track you would be more inclined to grab an oldie but goodie and hit the turns just to feel the car layover like Shaun after 1 shot lol joking- But then lets take Road America or Mid Ohio those type of tracks you have to be precise on turn ins and being smooth on the gs pedal will help you stay out the dirt.

I enjoy sim racing, but I think I'm mostly a sim driver.

I don't play any console racers except for the occasional Project Gotham Racing 3 but even that is on a control pad and just for fun.

I'll use iRacing to explain my way of doing things. I'm a 100% content owner at iRacing and I like to use every bit of that content. With that being said, I do enjoy racing, but I'm rarely fighting for the lead because I drive so many different cars in so many different series that I don't get much practice. If I don't remember the track very well I'll do maybe 10 refresher laps and then go race. As long as I'm not endangering anyone I think that's fine. I rarely win and rarely podium, but I almost always have a halfway decent battle with someone around the middle of the pack.

So I enjoy the racing, however I find more enjoyment in racing tons of different cars and tracks. But I don't enjoy console gaming because of the restrictions and the overall poor physics compared to PC sims. So I guess I'm a sim driver instead of a real sim racer.

I definitely consider myself as a Sim Racer. I don't like jumping from car to car, I like to get used to a particular car and try to put it on the limit. That's the reason I have a big dilemma in front of me at the moment.. I registered in iRacing for the March on Michigan event and participated in it (it was great event, my first oval race and I've managed to finish, which was very good feeling). The thing is that my subscription is about to expire and I'm not sure what to do. I really started to enjoy myself in Road racing with the Miata (yesterday I won my first 2 races) but I want to go further. What I really enjoy is racing in single seaters. And here comes my problem if iRacing didn't have most of the content payed, I would probably continue with it because it's the best racing sim I've ever used but to get a car + all tracks I want to race on (Spa, Suzuka, Silverstone etc.) I need to invest $150+ dollars and it just seems too much for me (not to mention my wife) as I manage to race only 3-4 hours weekly. Sorry if I went off topic here (maybe you can put a new topic for guys like me :) ) but I really need to decide whether to go with rFactor2 or iRacing and it's really hard.

For me, it depends on the mood I'm in and the game/sim I'm running at the time.

Racing wise, I considered Race Driver Grid a racing game, I sat down to it to race and race I did with great intensity.

Driving wise, NFS Carbon was to me a driving game, it was driving around a open area (wish there was more like this), and looking around, getting the cops to chase me and trying to out drive them, this wasn't racing, this was driving.

I guess it all depends on how one defines driving vs racing, often when trying a new track in a sim (Race07, rFactor) I'll drive around the track to learn it. Once I feel comfortable, then the racing part kicks in, trying to get a faster lap time lap after lap. Maybe the difference is Racing is competitive and driving might be but in a much different way?

Take care

Regards: >>>> Jack <<<<

And here comes my problem if iRacing didn't have most of the content payed, I would probably continue with it because it's the best racing sim I've ever used but to get a car + all tracks I want to race on (Spa, Suzuka, Silverstone etc.) I need to invest $150+ dollars and it just seems too much for me (not to mention my wife) as I manage to race only 3-4 hours weekly. Sorry if I went off topic here (maybe you can put a new topic for guys like me :) ) but I really need to decide whether to go with rFactor2 or iRacing and it's really hard.

I'll keep my answer short so we don't go too much off topic.

If money is a problem, don't continue with iRacing, it's a never ending money pit. The racing is great for the most part, but pickup racing in iRacing still can't match a quality league. So my opinion.....get rFactor and rFactor 2, find your favorite series to race, download the content you need and make the 3-4 hours a week you have to race align with the time the league runs.

I say rFactor because rFactor 2 still doesn't have many (any?) leagues running since it's still pre-release.

On the question: Am I a sim racer or sim driver?

I love to race but have very limited time and also cannot commit to driving in a league where the races are a set time of the week. I also don't do races on iRacing even though I have a membership. Not enough time to practice keeps me from this due to not wanting to screw up other drivers races. I do race against the IA though and love it. Main sims are rFactor and rFactor 2. I also love to race on all cars and all tracks. I'm passionate about driving the cars and feeling the different physics and sound. Nothing gives me more pleasure than DLing a new Mod and discovering the amazing ones. But, I also love the competition. This is why AI is my choice.

So: I love to race AI. Does that make me a sim racer? Or do I need to be racing against other meet sacks to qualify for that (not that it matters).

I'd say for me:

Racing 40% (if AI qualifies)

Driving 60%

Cheers,

Joe

Even my racing in real life I do not too worked up over, I find that the pressure causes mistakes and causes marks in the lost collum. I found I take a simmilar aproach to sim racing as I do this for pleasure and being worked up is not fun.

There was a time when I would could"lack of skill" only drive fully tuned cars around the track. But recently a close online friend and I have started spec racing straight from the dealer "gt5" cars and we have had more fun with that then the tuned cars we were used to.

We drive with aids off exept for tc at 1. We do run full aids off sometimes but we prefer tc at 1. Then I will probably get hazed for this but on unfamiliar tracks I do run a driving line for a few laps just to get used to the braking zones. and then I adjust from that to actually get a fast line. But if you are in our room you have to run clean, some bumping is racing but no using others as brake peddals and cutting corners will get you a warning and do it too much your kicked.

We usually run shorter races just because my attention span being a dragracer lol and his being an autocrosser isnt always that long lol.

In the end what does that make us? sim race driver hybid?

I like this question and it's one I've thought about before.

I'm definitely a sim driver. What made me realize that, was playing through the career mode of F1 2010. It's a very high quality and fun game, but to me, it will never be anywhere near as good as something like GT5 or rfactor that has a ton of cars and tracks.

A sim racer can enjoy using just one car all the time, a sim driver would rather drive a few different cars. A sim driver needs variety, I need variety.

In iracing I'll always notice the same names in certain series, those are sim racers. Shaun Cole, is a sim racer. I always see him racing the cadillac.

I'm a type of jack of all trades, master of none, in life and in sim racing. To me, that's what a sim driver is. It's someone who at certain times, can enjoy making a run around nordschliefe or targa florio as much or more than a great race.

To a sim driver, racing is just the most fun way of driving, to a sim racer, driving is just what you have to do in order to race.

You can definitely cross over too. Just because you're a sim driver doesn't mean you're any less competitive, it just means that what you want out of a sim is different than what a sim racer will want.

I think a sim racer will almost always prefer iracing to any other sim, because it has the best racing hands down. However a sim driver like me, might prefer GT5 because of its variety, and better physics than it gets credit for, especially for a console title.

Also a sim racer, is more likely to get hung up on things like crash damage, and probably won't like a sim with poor damage. A sim driver won't be bothered as much by that.

That's how I see it.

I enjoy sim racing, but I think I'm mostly a sim driver.

I don't play any console racers except for the occasional Project Gotham Racing 3 but even that is on a control pad and just for fun.

I'll use iRacing to explain my way of doing things. I'm a 100% content owner at iRacing and I like to use every bit of that content. With that being said, I do enjoy racing, but I'm rarely fighting for the lead because I drive so many different cars in so many different series that I don't get much practice. If I don't remember the track very well I'll do maybe 10 refresher laps and then go race. As long as I'm not endangering anyone I think that's fine. I rarely win and rarely podium, but I almost always have a halfway decent battle with someone around the middle of the pack.

So I enjoy the racing, however I find more enjoyment in racing tons of different cars and tracks. But I don't enjoy console gaming because of the restrictions and the overall poor physics compared to PC sims. So I guess I'm a sim driver instead of a real sim racer.

I'm the same way. Though it seems like you may only have a 360, in which case I don't blame your statements on console racing, if you have a PS3 I guarantee you would love GT5. It has more variety than you know what to do with, and it has physics that only PC sims can match or beat.

To me, GT5 is the ultimate sim for a sim driver. And if you find some leagues, it can also give you quality racing, close to that of iracing. Sometimes Gt5 racing is more fun simply because you don't have to worry about the stupid safety rating all the time.

Especially if you don't have time to practice iracing, I think you would enjoy GT5.

On the question: Am I a sim racer or sim driver?

I love to race but have very limited time and also cannot commit to driving in a league where the races are a set time of the week. I also don't do races on iRacing even though I have a membership. Not enough time to practice keeps me from this due to not wanting to screw up other drivers races. I do race against the IA though and love it. Main sims are rFactor and rFactor 2. I also love to race on all cars and all tracks. I'm passionate about driving the cars and feeling the different physics and sound. Nothing gives me more pleasure than DLing a new Mod and discovering the amazing ones. But, I also love the competition. This is why AI is my choice.

So: I love to race AI. Does that make me a sim racer? Or do I need to be racing against other meet sacks to qualify for that (not that it matters).

I'd say for me:

Racing 40% (if AI qualifies)

Driving 60%

Cheers,

Joe

I would say you're a sim driver. The way you talked about getting a new mod, that says to me you love to have driving experiences. I'm the same way.

I think a sim racer is happy just finding a car or mod they like and sticking with it as long as they can find good racing.

Of course, both types of people definitely cross over a lot, but I think you lean towards a sim driver like me.

I started out last year being a sim driver. GT5 on the PS3, Dirt 3 on the PC, F1 2011 on the PC..

My rig is built now and I would really like to be a Sim Racer.

I'm learning slow but sure. I got my Class C license and started in the fixed truck series. Not easy at all. I was doing OK until Daytona this week. Sad thing is I really like Daytona and am getting the hang of drafting. I got the pole for the first time, caught up in a crash on the 2nd lap.. Next 2 races started 2nd caught up in crashes around the 3rd lap. Finally the 4th race started 2nd and finished 5th. That’s racing, at least that is what I think is racing.. My SR is currently down to 2.65 and my irating dropped big time to 937 and we are off to Dover the Monster mile where I'll just try to stay on the track..

I'm having a blast though I need to spend a lot of time practicing.

It’s not supposed to be easy…….

I’m trying my best to be a good clean racer.

Even though I stink…. I guess I’m hooked, I have no interest or time for Sim Driving…

Andy Petrie

I might be getting a little old and burnt out on this stuff unlike you John Hill. I was very much a Sim Racer early on and that is all I did was Race the AI. As time has gone on and My Sim Collection growing considerably I find myself jumping back and forth from sim to sim and for the most part just driving.

All that excitement of new sims and new mods just isn't the same anymore. I have driven just about every car type within most every sim titles.

I am a Sim Junkie who has developed a tolerance to the stuff and being addicted I just can't quit.

So you tell me what category that leaves me in?

I started out last year being a sim driver. GT5 on the PS3, Dirt 3 on the PC, F1 2011 on the PC..

My rig is built now and I would really like to be a Sim Racer.

I'm learning slow but sure. I got my Class C license and started in the fixed truck series. Not easy at all. I was doing OK until Daytona this week. Sad thing is I really like Daytona and am getting the hang of drafting. I got the pole for the first time, caught up in a crash on the 2nd lap.. Next 2 races started 2nd caught up in crashes around the 3rd lap. Finally the 4th race started 2nd and finished 5th. That’s racing, at least that is what I think is racing.. My SR is currently down to 2.65 and my irating dropped big time to 937 and we are off to Dover the Monster mile where I'll just try to stay on the track..

I'm having a blast though I need to spend a lot of time practicing.

It’s not supposed to be easy…….

I’m trying my best to be a good clean racer.

Even though I stink…. I guess I’m hooked, I have no interest or time for Sim Driving…

Andy Petrie

The Andy Petrie? Flatrock North Carolina? I'm honored Op looked at your avitar profile and I guess not being from Mass.

I would say you're a sim driver. The way you talked about getting a new mod, that says to me you love to have driving experiences. I'm the same way.

I think a sim racer is happy just finding a car or mod they like and sticking with it as long as they can find good racing.

Of course, both types of people definitely cross over a lot, but I think you lean towards a sim driver like me.

You guys are making me question my 75/25% ratio.. hehe.. I unlike Shaun like to bounce around a little. Maybe the ADD in me. I personally love GT5 and it's physics engine/ffb. It has only gotten better over time with the patches which for a console title, is AWESOME ! How many other console titles have had that many patches ?

So.. That being said.. and the fact that I do bounce around a lot more, Im probably more like 60/40..

I might be getting a little old and burnt out on this stuff unlike you John Hill. I was very much a Sim Racer early on and that is all I did was Race the AI. As time has gone on and My Sim Collection growing considerably I find myself jumping back and forth from sim to sim and for the most part just driving.

All that excitement of new sims and new mods just isn't the same anymore. I have driven just about every car type within most every sim titles.

I am a Sim Junkie who has developed a tolerance to the stuff and being addicted I just can't quit.

So you tell me what category that leaves me in?

I'd say you're 90% sim driver/junkie, 10% sim racer.. ;-)

I joined iRacing in October 2010 because I love to drive cars and couldn't afford to drive them on a racetrack. So, I thought I'd be a Sim Driver. Turns out, I'm a pretty hardcore Sim Racer though :shock:. After playing with the MX5 in the Rookie series for a few weeks, I gave a car that I'd never even heard of, the Spec Racer Ford, a try. I could barely complete a lap, but I was so intrigued that I stuck with it and learned how to drive (and then race) it. I just completed my sixth complete SRF season because I love to race it.

I just have too much fun looking for that last tenth (or hundredth) to give it up. It has taken me a while to appreciate all the skills that are required to be able to race well (as opposed to just hot-lapping), but I'm still learning and loving it. One of these days, I'd love to take a real SRF (or anything else) out on a real track for a comparison.

Just enter the Sim Racing World in last August after leaving 10 years of RC Racing cars behind. Allways done trophies and National Championship and in 2007 the European Championship wich was a simply amazing event and since then i was totally hooked to racing.

Since my child was born, last Setember, i've decided to give simracing a go just to see how it was because there is no more time for RC Racing :( ... i was totally hooked. :)

Run my fist league, joined a team and here am i.

What i love is Racing, no matter what car it is. I'm allways trying for that hundred of second and every free time i have is for training and trying to improve. This doesn't meen that i am good, cause i realy suck :) ....but that is what give me fun.

I stick with a car and try to extract everything i can from it. From time to time i try other mods or even sims, but very very rarely!

Now, i started with iRacing. Learning the Solstice and how the service works... a looottt to learn :)

So i think i'm more a SimRacer than a SimDriver.

In my opinion, i consider myself as a SimDriver who want to be a SimRacer. :mrgreen:

Let's just be honest, the main reason i interested in the simulation world (which means we going crazy spending money for steering wheel, racing rig, pc, game console, etc.) is to know how it is like to drive those car we see on the tv, magazine AND THEN push the throttle to the floor to race those car.

That feeling to able to compare the real car in the real world with the car in the sim world what make me, well i guess, a SimDriver. BUT THEN AGAIN, i think mostly of the simulation have a goal to win a race, so that make me as a SimRacer.

I always love the idea of Gran Turismo, the licensed cars, tracks, sponsors, etc are satisfying my 'wow...so this is the car i saw in...' (if you know what i mean :lol: ). But when i found other title like Richard Burns Rally, rFactor and then now iRacing, it's a complete different feeling to know how i could win a race.

BUT THEN AGAIN after 3 weeks joining iRacing i found out that a lot of racer with fast lap time there (if you could say them as SimRacer) are gaining fast lap time by driving car customized the control as they prefer just to get the fastest time (i.e. they shifting crazy fast like using paddle all time with all car, their left foot never touch the clutch, etc) that i think a little bit remove the SimDriver feeling. :cry:

Don't get confused, its just my opinion :P

Final conclusion: still, i'm a 100% SimDriver who want to be a 100% SimRacer.

I would say I qualifiy as 100 percent simracer...

Am I an alien...hell no

Am I even that fast...I dont think so

Ok first I am an oval guy...eye rolls...dont get me wrong I enjoy road racing to, just not as much. This is the racer in me, I most enjoy door to door racing, if its for third or if its for tenth. I sim race for the battles on track that let you shaking from the intensity of them.

I enoy racing many different cars on different tracks but I am always looking for that guy thats as fast as me that can wage a great battle. I enjoy oval because you can focus more on racing with people then trying not to make a mistake. You most definatly can have great battles but its harder and requires a different skill set that I just cant match.

When I race (Iracing) I set myself relistic goals, I tend to shoot for top 5s and top 10s in larger fields. I most enjoy B and C class, but I also like a few late model races. I most enjoy Iracings world tour events over the year. They provide a format suited to what I enoy, with the qualifiying structure of timed splits just starts the racing, trying to get to the higest split you can. The races are big and long and this is where you are going to race many people over a long period and come up with the best drivers at the end.

I ran in the March on Michagan race and finished 8th in the second split. It was a blast I also started 34th in that race and worked my way up, passing tons of trucks I had a blast I even had a live spotter for the race. I guess being a simracer to me just boils down to are you here to enjoy driving the cars and seeing if you can blast around the track as fast as the pros can, or do you really want to test your metal and see if you can hang with the big boys.