Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Inside Sim Racing - Arcade Special

12 posts in this topic

Inside Sim Racing Arcade Special. We take a turn in a different direction as the guys review or take a look at several driving games that have either been released or are on the way. First up on the show is Ridge Racer unbounded which is the next installment of the game from Namco that dates back to 1993. Following that is our second look at Dirt Showdown by Codemasters. They recently released a demo version of the game that expands slightly on what we have already seen. This means new levels and cars and some good insight as to how the whole game will play out. Then to finish off the show we take a very detailed look into Trials Evolution by Red Lynx. This is a high flying strategic driving game that will test your skills in many ways.

Guest BrutalCykx

Trials Evolution seems fun, especially the new multiplayer part. Glad there still are people who realize that some of us don't want to dance around in front of a Kinect, especially not together with my 40+ year old gaming friends (all nerds) at one of my videogame gatherings. They're not into sims either but do love videogames, so we just like to sit down on the couch and have fun in front of the TV, preferably with games where you don't need to study a manual.

Already tried Trials HD and it was pretty addictive. Again this time I am amazed about the scary amount of detail they put into the environment. The way the camera zooms out when crossing great distances really makes me go wow sometimes. Together with Motorstorm RC, it's the only no-cockpit-view type of race game that interest me for the moment.

I certainly will not spend any money on Dirt Showdown or that other game...what was it called again? right.

Those games only remind me that after 25 years of playing (any kind of) race games I've seen these type of games being recycled one too many times. Furthermore, with the exception of Trials and Motorstorm RC, any additional 'gameplay' in a race game just annoyes me really. I get much more fun and satisfaction out of 6 laps of hardcore Nurburgring sim racing. (project managers and producers who keep on pushing their development teams into coming up with Nintendo like racers, please take note)

I enjoyed the show. I think it's okay to look at arcade games, as it's nice to know what people with a simulation background think about them, and how they compare.

I wish that Trials game was coming to PC, as I don't have a 360. Maybe I'll check out the original Trials.

Hey Guys! LOVED the "Arcade" show,I'm sure there are gonna be a fair amount of people who are going to bitch & whine about it,but I myself personally love a gr8 Arcade racer & really enjoy racers like "Split Second,the Motorstorm series,Hot Pursuit,GRID,BLUR,& and a bunch of other "Arcade" type racers,it's a nice break sometimes ~& some of these titles have a huge "FUN Factor",it's awesome sometimes to just forget real world physics,car setups,tuning,tire pressure & all the technical aspects a lot of "SIM" titles have,and just have some FUN! :lol: there is a certain small group of somewhat snobby folks out there that look down their noses @ anything other then ultra hardcore "PC" Sim titles..which is fine man,if thats ALL they like to play,but dont crucify those of us that love all sorts of Racing titles,or enjoy their "Console" systems too ;) anyway just wanted to thank you guys for covering "ARCADE" Racers from time to time for those of us that love all kinds of different racers and systems,keep up the fantastic work & stellar shows!

If you're going to review arcade racers, then Trackmania United Forever and Trackmania 2 (aka Trackmania Canyon) should be at the top of your list, especially since there's an excellent, free version that offers single-player, multi-player and an excellent track editor. All the games are an absolute blast with tons of replay value trying to beat your own score.

The dirt looked entertaining and so did the Trials game. I dont like driving arcady games with the wheel but they are plenty of fun on the pad when I am away from my rig. Good show as always. Way to keep a straight face Darrin when you pretended to give the title a 1 after Shaun said 10 :lol: It always cheers me up to see a new episode up after a long night at work. Keep it up.

Cheers, Dustin

Trials Evolution is a blast. Haven't put much time into yet, been busy, but when I sat down with it for the first time I ended up playing it for four hours straight.

The demo of Showdown is okay. I'm disappointed it doesn't have manual shifting. I was hoping it is just the demo version but was told the retail version wont have it either. Rental only, if that.

Keep doing arcade shows. Not everyone is a sim only fan. I love anything on wheels.

Hell I wish you guys would expand and do reviews for any game you have played. I know you dabble in other genre's.

Hi guys,

I loved the arcade show!

Not a fan of Ridgeracer, but Dirt had a couple good one's. Already try'd out the Showdown demo on steam with a couple friends and the demolition game play was fun indeed!

I did like the Trials Evolution game play and i'm sure my son would have a blast playing that.

I think that Simrace games that try to approach realism are great and a lot of fun. Shaving time of your laps by tweaking and fiddling around with the car is awesome. The simrace etiquette is what i find the most satisfying about this type of gaming, being able to actually perform better after a couple of laps not being tossed around by a bunch of bumper car minded idiots is what i love about it.

On the other hand, being that serious all the time does take its toll on the fun factor sometimes. And therefore arcade games where u can act all crazy like, and crash into eacholder laughing the whole time is a very welcome change once in a while :mrgreen:

Thank you guys for creating the InsideArcadeRacing episode, cant wait to see the next one ;)