Sim Racers - Introduce yourselves here
70 70

702 posts in this topic

Joel Lee

Eugene, Oregon

Job: 3D artist working in video games since 2002

Hobbies/interest: Racing R/C offroad/sim, Rocking out on guitar, carbon fiber tinkering/fab, woodworking, building arcade machines, and Virtual Reality development.

Sim stuff: begun the research process and settled on the OSW IONI/simucube(when available).  Ordered a Momo mod 30 wheel (through Steve Spenceley's Group buy deal) and will be producing my own button plate/box/shifters.

Stuff I've built or am currently working on:

carcade.jpg

Edited by ThreeDprof

Hi Guys & Galz

I'm Sid and based in UK.  Having completed my house furnishing project I have decided to treat myself, either it was holiday in the sun with the missus for a week or F1 Sim Racing.  Now you know what won! Lol

I am a complete beginner hence looking and viewing different websites/ products prices & calculators (conversions from Euros too Sterling) etc after a week or so this is what I am looking at (Interested) but feedback always welcome as being a novice I could do with some help.... So here goes

Rig: RSEAT - RR Formula V2   VDU Stand: RS Stand S3 V2

Wheel Base: Fanatec Clubsport V2      Steering Wheel: Fanatec Club Sport Wheel. 

Pedals: Fanatec Clubsport Pedals V3

There you have it now what you think? Will I need a Table Clamp if I am using the RSEAT - RR Formula V2?

Feedback most welcome

Hi Racers

I'm Ron and live in Spain. 

I am a beginner (I did PC/Xbox 360 racing years and years ago with basic wheels) and try to do some serious sim racing on a limited budget. 

I like to mod and make things myself as hobby and hence also save some money. After reading a lot of websites and seeing many review I am planning for the following setup.

Sim platform:
- Xbox one: own this
- PC: don´t own it yet

Race games:
- F1 2016 (Xbox): don´t own it yet
- Forza 6 (Xbox): don´t own it yet
- F1 2015 (PC): own this & play on laptop
- iRacing: don´t own it yet

This list will grow in time for sure ;)

Hardware:
- Wheel Base: Thrustmaster TX Racing Wheel Servo Base: ordered in set
- Steering Wheel: Thrustmaster Leather 28 GT Wheel: ordered in set
- Pedals: Thrustmaster T3PA: ordered in set
- Racing cockpit: will be self made with in mind -> stability & detachable to store easy. Busy making
  a design. Most probably I will use PVC because is light and cheap.

- Monitor: Will go single monitor, but don´t know what size to choose for yet.
- PC: Will build one myself from parts I still have to decide which will fit my needs.

Looking forward to get all things together to get started and meeting you all on the tracks!

Ronofich

Edited by Ronofich

Sean, 28yo, Australia

I'm a simple, married man-child with a very supportive wife. She's okay with me splurging on my hobbies and staying late at night in the garage. My greatest passion is dento-alveolar surgery (but that will bore most of you) and things that run on engines. I used to race in ametuer series 600c motorcycles and was transitioning to ametuer series tarmac rally.

I got done overtaking (very slow, heavy and long) trucks outside a quarry, on an overtaking lane. With limited ability to go for my track meets, I started building my rig.

My car:

VW Mk7 R, Internally and externally braced, APR tuned, Volk Mono forge rims, Michellin PSC2, VWR SS+ Coilovers, VWR Mono-6-pot BBK, Milltek TBE, Supaloy control arms... in short, it goes quick.

So far, here's where I've gotten on the simulator side.

Cockpit - GTUltimate V2 with all accessories (dislike keyboard swivel arm)

Wheel and pedal - Fanatec CSW-v2, V3 pedals, 7-speed H-shifter, Porsche RSR

Monitor - Acer XB271HU (single screen atm, awaiting stock for 2 more)

Misc - Buttkicker Gamer-2 (awaiting stock)

And here's the PC

Case - Caselabs S8S+Pedestal

CPU - I7 6700k @ 4.8Mhz (EK waterblock)

RAM - Corsair 32GB @ 3600Mhz (EK waterblock)

Mobo - ROG Formula VIII Z170

GPU - EVGA GTX 1080 (second card and waterblock pending)

Cooling - Dual D50 pumps, total 120x120x60x8 radiators all in push-pull

SSD - Samsung Pro 256gb x2 in raid-0

Plans

Modding the GTUltimate - gear shifter mount is poorly made. 

Custom made cockpit with SS Piping, weld, and powdercoat. Time to put my spare Recaro to use.

Thanks for having me. 

Dave

hi. 47 yo 6 kids,U.K. Based. Heavy goods driver. 

Interests include poker and pool. 

Not a massive video game fan but own ps4 and PS3 . 

Have always loved driving and consider myself quite good after 30+ years and this will be my version of a mid life crisis Seeing as I can't afford  a sports car. 

Will be building my own rig to keep costs down so will be checking out that section of the forum for ideas

Done some research on wheels and it's a toss up between a G29 or TM300. The pedal setup on the G29 is more preferable.  

Looking forward to communicating with you guys for ideas and stuff

4 hours ago, Joebaxi said:

Dave

hi. 47 yo 6 kids,U.K. Based. Heavy goods driver. 

Interests include poker and pool. 

Not a massive video game fan but own ps4 and PS3 . 

Have always loved driving and consider myself quite good after 30+ years and this will be my version of a mid life crisis Seeing as I can't afford  a sports car. 

Will be building my own rig to keep costs down so will be checking out that section of the forum for ideas

Done some research on wheels and it's a toss up between a G29 or TM300. The pedal setup on the G29 is more preferable.  

Looking forward to communicating with you guys for ideas and stuff

Just my humble opinion, but if you get bitten by the same bug as the rest of us then you will soon start looking at upgrades so if you have the cash just jump straight in at FANATEC gear.I upgraded from a playseat evo and g27 two years ago to a T500 and Gt omega art, now ive got everything possible for the thrustmaster eco system aswell as button boxesa 40inch fixed sceen multiple shifters, handbrake, app screens, aura transducers and several mods, but, I really wish i'd gone FANATEC and now I cant really upgrade again, ok, im not allowed to.

P.S welcome to our world !

Btw if you want  advice on what you can get running on ps4, until you get fed up and go pc, just ask cos ive got all that gear firing ps4 project cars.

Edited by fil140
Adding comment

Thanks fil140. 

Wish my budget would stretch to that lot but upon further research I've discovered iracing so gonna have to add a pc to the wish list now. No car games for the ps4 but a few on the ps3 so considering a g27 wheel now to help pay for the pc. Any advice on pc specs would be greatly appreciated mate. Fanatec will have to remain a dream for the moment.

again many thanks

dave

3 hours ago, Joebaxi said:

Thanks fil140. 

Wish my budget would stretch to that lot but upon further research I've discovered iracing so gonna have to add a pc to the wish list now. No car games for the ps4 but a few on the ps3 so considering a g27 wheel now to help pay for the pc. Any advice on pc specs would be greatly appreciated mate. Fanatec will have to remain a dream for the moment.

again many thanks

dave

G27 is a great wheel and more than your average starter wheel, i had a g25 for 3 years then a g27 for 4 years and loved them, check out the nixim brake mod(a very affordable must have)and search chillicoke on youtube for gearstick mods(free and very effective).

if you like f1 then ive done two different f1 brake mods to bridge the clutch and brake into 1 large more powerfull f1 style left foot brake pedal and its an easy switch back to three when you want to goback to sports cars.If you start looking at rigs, make sure to avoid centre post supports for the wheel deck, like the playseat evolution.

You can get some great pc advice on here, all you need to do is ask in the pc section, theyre all good guys on here. 

Once you get into this, theres no way back buddy!!

8 minutes ago, fil140 said:

G27 is a great wheel and more than your average starter wheel, i had a g25 for 3 years then a g27 for 4 years and loved them, check out the nixim brake mod(a very affordable must have)and search chillicoke on youtube for gearstick mods(free and very effective).

if you like f1 then ive done two different f1 brake mods to bridge the clutch and brake into 1 large more powerfull f1 style left foot brake pedal and its an easy switch back to three when you want to goback to sports cars.If you start looking at rigs, make sure to avoid centre post supports for the wheel deck, like the playseat evolution.

You can get some great pc advice on here, all you need to do is ask in the pc section, theyre all good guys on here. 

Once you get into this, theres no way back buddy!!

G27 it is then. I think F1 is the route I'll be going down and maybe rallying so I'll defo be checking out them mods. Building my own rig to accommodate my 6ft 7 inch carcass (another reason I will never own a sports car). 

Hope you're right when you say no way back mate and hopefully I'll run into you on the tracks. Not literally tho....That would be wrong ha. 

1 hour ago, Joebaxi said:

G27 it is then. I think F1 is the route I'll be going down and maybe rallying so I'll defo be checking out them mods. Building my own rig to accommodate my 6ft 7 inch carcass (another reason I will never own a sports car). 

Hope you're right when you say no way back mate and hopefully I'll run into you on the tracks. Not literally tho....That would be wrong ha. 

You should be able to puck up a cheap second hand g27 then you got no worries about warranty, all the mods are cheap or free and you can take the g wheels from good to excellent with a saturdays work and a couple of bits n pieces from your shed! If youre impatient you can grab f1 2014, grid autosport and dirt rally 3 for your ps3, clamp your g27 to a lil table and pull it up to the sofa, you'll be very impressed indeed with those three titles as starters, just a shame the g27 doesnt work on ps4.

Hi, I'm Andy from Germany.

I'm just a simple dude who loves cars, racing, playing racing games and racing simulations. 

All started back in 1998 with Need for Speed II SE and today i play and drive mostly every racing game and sim you can buy on pc an console :)

If I don´t use my free time to drive some laps then I help testing RaceRoom stuff as member of the Beta Tester team @ Sector3 since July 11th 2013. So nearly 3 years :D

Edited by AK1504

I'm Ben

From Perth, Australia

I'm 28 and have been PC gaming since 1992 and Console Gaming since PS1 days.

I race on the PC and Xbox One

Steam - Gammah88

Xbox - Gammah88

Favorite Types Of Racing = Endurance / Road Racing / Drag Racing

Favourite Race Series - Virgin Australia Supercars Championship, Drag Racing from Perth Motorplex

Equipment = 24 inch BenQ RL2455, Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 Overclocked, Roccat Isku FX Keyboard, Logitech Daedlus Apex Mouse, Logitech 5.1 Speakers, Logitech G27 Wheel/Pedals, SSH Shifter 7R.

Favorite Sims -

PC = iRacing, Automobilista, Assetto Corsa (rfactor 2 is OK)

Xbox One - Forza Motorsport/Horizon

Edited by Gammah88

Name: David White

I have been sim racing about 25 years. I Own every Papyrus sim including Grand Prix Legends. Retired from on-line racing after Papy went away. Introduced to iRACING by an article in Aug 2016 issue of Car and Driver. Pulled out the old Logitech MOMO racing wheel and am now un-retired. From the little I have experienced iRACING today, it looks like the type of on-line sim racing we could only dream about 15 years ago. Boy does racing look good across three 23" monitors.

HI gang been racing R/C cars for the last 20 plus years currently racing a mini Z in the Midwest Chi town went out to L.A to the Peterson musem play Forza 6 and got hooked waiting on my playseat w/ thusbuster X  T3AP pedals and 40" tv  shifter to come later cant wait to get started forum his been great with all the nebee question have one the on line racing how does that work the hook up and all on a xbox1 

Hello to all,

My name is Nick and I live in Athens, Greece. I come from the home cockpit building hobby, just several months ago I sold my Boeing 737 home cockpit full simulator. It was a great fun building it and I enjoyed every moment of it, gaining great knowledge and experience from the process. unfortunately time was an issue, since the hobby became so complicated and it was more fixing and tuning than flying, so it had to go....

I kept a very strong desktop PC which cost almost euro 3500, a TH2GO digital edition, and three 32 LG monitors for future use....

But the virus of building is still inside me. I always wanted to try sim racing, so after giving a spin, I decided to join you...

Given that visuals and PC are ready, I am thinking to go the Fanatec club sport full package with BMW M3 wheel way and RSeat 1 full package as a sim base with a real BMW M3 seat mounted....

Of course this is just a thought... I am always open to opinions...

Thank you for all

Sincere regards,

Hey everyone

I'm Brian and I am 34 years old and new to the sim racing scene.  I have always had an interest in it and now it time for me to get involved.  I am a Police Officer in Tennessee and I am also a private pilot and huge into flight sims.

I am looking to get started in Iracing and try not to get myself wrecked.

Glad to be here.

Hey Everyone,

I'm Jason from New Hampshire.  I have been racing in the 24 Hours of LeMons, ChumpCar and AER since 2009 (25 races as of now) and this past winter decided to pull the trigger on a sim.  I am hoping that it not only helps with real on track skills but also helps scratch my racing itch during the winter.  I also plan to share use of the sim with my teammates.  Right now I have a HP z600 CAD workstation with dual Xeon processors and 12gb RAM with a NVIDIA 1070 running 3x AOC 27" 144hz monitors.  For controls I went with a Thrustmaster T300/599xx servo and wheel along with the T3PA-Pro pedals and TH8A gearbox.  I have purchased the plans for the RS500 cockpit and RS3 montor add-on and I am going to have those cut on a CNC router table that a teammate has.  I also have a new seat from a Ford Focus ST to use along with a set of four Dayton BST1 tranducers and two Pyle PCA3 amps.

I know the PC is less than ideal but I have staged the system on a desk until I get the cockpit built and so far using Rfactor 2 it seems real smooth. Any tips on optimizing this setup for rFactor2 or iRacing would be greatly appreciated.

I will post some pictures of the cockpit once done since I have some plans to make it a little different than the other Ricomotech builds out there.

Attached are some pictures of the real race cars that I ran in last weekend at Thompson, CT

Murfy.jpg

Whitney.jpg

On 6/30/2016 at 9:12 PM, Joebaxi said:

Hi,

I was trying to save some money before getting a better wheel and went with Logitech DFGT. Maybe not G27 but as a starter pack was supposed to be ok. Took me about 3 weeks to realize I needed something better. Also own PS3, PS4 and PC. 

In your situation it's worth reconsidering - G27 is a great wheel. It will cost you about £150 (no PS4 compatibility) add another 70 quid and get Thrustmaster T300RS (or Ferrari gte for £100 extra). Not only It will be newer technology, but also amazing quality and most important massive ecosystem which you can upgrade whenever you feel like or can afford ;)

Luckily my DFGT was dirt cheap so had no regrets but if you want to go F1 way, think about this attachment :D  

2.jpg

hi, i'm Thomas a french sim racer, 

i have 27 years old, and i live in south of france.

i playing on Assetto Corsa, Pcars, Rfactor (no more now), and i really love drift.

i have start to play sim racing on ps2 with GT2.

i have a modded CSR elite with QR and 33cm rim, fanatec static paddle shifter, CSP v1 and DIY handbrake.

but maybe i will buy a Xbox one and a Thrustmaster TX + 599xx rim + GTE modded, because i love FORZA since forza 4

i know this forum because i follow the isrtv on youtube since 2 years.

(sorry for my bad english)

Fichier_000.jpeg

Fichier_001.jpeg

Hi everyone..

My name is Skip, I am 66 years young, and semi-retired. I have made sim racing my hobby, and have been on the fringe of your community for about a year now...

I first just bought a Playseat, PS 3, and the Logitech Driveforce wheel...for games started out with GT5, then GT6..then on to GridAutosport and F1 2014 early this year. I have since moved up to PS4, bought a GT Omega Pro R9 cockpit, Thrustmaster 150...and am driving Project Cars right now. Will be getting Assetto Corsa soon...

As you can tell, I am not putting too much cash into this yet...but what I have works great so far!

I have weaned myself off of driving assists, except I am still driving with auto trans....will go manual in the next few months, but have been methodically working on the tracks, car handling, car setups, FFB settings, and improving my driving skills in general. I have been racing AI only (no online yet) so far, getting used to working thru traffic to the front...started at 40 to 45 difficulty, then thru 50 to 55, now up to 60 to 70 (moving up when I get to where I start winning races fairly often).

I have been very curious about how large the 'older person' community might be.....would love to hear from any of you more 'life experienced' guys or gals doing this too!

Thanks!

PS....I do have a question....I have not seen any sim title including the Dutch track Zandvoort in either the original or newer configuration; am I wrong about this? 

Welcome Skip! When polls have been conducted on the iRacing forums it seems that about half the members are over 30 with many over 55. I think I read of one fella being in his eighties. iRacing also has a laser scanned version of Zandvoort in 5 configurations (National, Grand Prix, Club, Chicane and Oostelijk). If you have a half decent PC it might be worth your while checking out iRacing one day.

Thanks Bushchook...

My pc is ancient and so bad I have it boxed to dispose of one day. Using Android devices now, so a new pc might be aways into my future.....I may accelerate that though because iracing sounds really cool.

I am going to start a new thread asking to hear from the over 55 crowd!

Skip

Hi everyone..

My name is Skip, I am 66 years young, and semi-retired. I have made sim racing my hobby, and have been on the fringe of your community for about a year now...

I first just bought a Playseat, PS 3, and the Logitech Driveforce wheel...for games started out with GT5, then GT6..then on to GridAutosport and F1 2014 early this year. I have since moved up to PS4, bought a GT Omega Pro R9 cockpit, Thrustmaster 150...and am driving Project Cars right now. Will be getting Assetto Corsa soon...

As you can tell, I am not putting too much cash into this yet...but what I have works great so far!

I have weaned myself off of driving assists, except I am still driving with auto trans....will go manual in the next few months, but have been methodically working on the tracks, car handling, car setups, FFB settings, and improving my driving skills in general. I have been racing AI only (no online yet) so far, getting used to working thru traffic to the front...started at 40 to 45 difficulty, then thru 50 to 55, now up to 60 to 70 (moving up when I get to where I start winning races fairly often).

I have been very curious about how large the 'older person' community might be.....would love to hear from any of you more 'life experienced' guys or gals doing this too!

Thanks!

PS....I do have a question....I have not seen any sim title including the Dutch track Zandvoort in either the original or newer configuration; am I wrong about this? 

Hi from sunny and hot Cancun, Mexico where I live with my wife and 3 dogs. We retired here 8 years ago to escape the weather in the Chicago area (GO CUBS). I've been an RC racer for 35 years getting into it in the beginning days. Here in Cancun there is not much activity in RC so Sim Racing lets me get my racing fix these days. I've signed up with Project Cars this past week and bought a Logitech G29 setup. I superscribed to the package that they had on sale. So now I'm trying to tame my force feedback and steering. Glad that a friend told me about this forum. I'm sure it will be helpful as well as entertaining.

Saludos,     Cancun Tom

Hi Tom!

I assume RC racing would be radio controlled?? I never did that, but I have seen some of that racing in person and it is very exciting!!! I assume that you are starting out as a PC user...are you into iracing yet?? I am still a ps4 user, but will probably switch to PC soon.

As a loyal KC Royals fan, I can very much understand how you Cubbies guys feel right now!!!! Congrats!

Skip7950