Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

XBox 360 Wheel Review - Superleague Formula - PGR 3 & 4

36 posts in this topic

Until recently I was using the MS WHeel/ DFGT combo and IMHO the smooth FFB of the MS wheel was my preference. My MS wheel certainly feels more like my Fanatec than the DFGT does. The DFGT (And the G25 a friend has and I use now and then) feel rough and notchy. No matter how nice the feedback from the program/game you are running (IMHO again) the Logitech adds its rough or notchy'ness to it and the overall effect loses something.

For FFB my favorite is Live For SPeed. I swear it feels closest to driving a car of anything I have used. Next would be iRacing which is damn close right up until the rear end breaks loose... then I think (Just like the Solstice itself) the "illusion" breaks down and the FFB feels unnatural as the car goes out of control. Honestly I blame the guy who programed the Solstice...

Wow.. First time I've heard someone praise the 360 wheel over a Logi wheel.

Besides the settings in rFactor, what are your settings in windows ?

One thing I'd like to say about the MS Wheel and Forza 3.

I find that I can feel all 4 tires in Forza 3 through the racing wheel. Recently, my wife, purchased me a DFGT wheel and I'm noticing that FFB feels much like the FFB I felt in PG4 or BAJA: Edge of Control. I'm still playing with the wheel settings to try to make it feel much more like that MS Wheel. I just felt that with Forza 3 I new when I was pushing my car to the maximum through the corner and when I wasn't.

For now... with the DFGT wheel weather it is r-factor, GTR2, or even I-Racing It is feeling more like I'm floating on top of the track than in the track. This is particularly the case when I input the wheel settings that Shaun Cole points out in a Tech Tip here on SRT.

Please don't take this the wrong way.... I don't mean to knock Shaun nor SRT. Something tells me that his settings are right for r-factor, because of how precise my racing line has improved. I think it's just how the wheel is designed or it is the software with PC Racing. Tonight, I just signed up for I-racing... because I new that i-racing has the best FFB. I thought that FFB would feel more like Forza 3. It didn't.... It was better than r-factor and GTR 2. The closest I could think of is like the FFB in Grid or Dirt 2. Good, but given that the DFGT wheel nearly costs double the MS Wheel I'm really beginning to wonder if I made a good purchased or not. I'm longing for my X-box 360 and the MS Wheel back.

The Soltice has full power steering in real life.. Thats why it has a lack of feel in iRacing.

Live for Speed does have great force feedback, but their tracks are lifeless.

Until recently I was using the MS WHeel/ DFGT combo and IMHO the smooth FFB of the MS wheel was my preference. My MS wheel certainly feels more like my Fanatec than the DFGT does. The DFGT (And the G25 a friend has and I use now and then) feel rough and notchy. No matter how nice the feedback from the program/game you are running (IMHO again) the Logitech adds its rough or notchy'ness to it and the overall effect loses something.

For FFB my favorite is Live For SPeed. I swear it feels closest to driving a car of anything I have used. Next would be iRacing which is damn close right up until the rear end breaks loose... then I think (Just like the Solstice itself) the "illusion" breaks down and the FFB feels unnatural as the car goes out of control. Honestly I blame the guy who programed the Solstice...

One thing I'd like to say about the MS Wheel and Forza 3.

I find that I can feel all 4 tires in Forza 3 through the racing wheel.

I just signed up for I-racing... because I new that i-racing has the best FFB. I thought that FFB would feel more like Forza 3. It didn't....

I'm longing for my X-box 360 and the MS Wheel back.

Just want to add a counterpoint to anyone reading who may be on the fence about a wheel purchase. While I did like the MS Wheel/Forza experience, for me it doesn't even compare to what I feel with my G27 in iRacing. With the G27 I feel all those little bumps and nuances in the track and it just feels right to me under heavy braking and even crashes. With the MS Wheel it felt a bit canned to me. What I mean for instance is that on the Amalfi cobbled roads I feel like the MS Wheel just kind of puts out a steady stream of fairly accurate rumbling but doesn't let me truly feel all the bumps in the road. I also feel like I am getting generic resistance under heavy cornering as opposed to resistance that is letting me know when I am leaving the apex that I feel I get from the 27.

Could be different strokes for different folks, but just wanted to offer a differing view.

Hopfrog, I think I know where you're coming from. I've been playing a lot of iRacing with a Momo. I went back to Forza with the logitech wheel for the xbox and it just felt very lifeless compared to the momo/iRacing. I think it's a combination of the wheel and the game but not having tried one of the more expensive FFB wheels with Forza I can't be sure. One interesting thing about the Momo is someone in iRacing was telling me that one reason I am having dificulty w/ the solstice is if you look at the wheel in-game it has 900 degrees of turn where the Momo only has 360 (I think?) Anyway, if I stick to iRacing I might get the G27 when Grand Turismo comes out as I don't particularly like my PS3 wheel either. (Actually, I'd love to get that wheel that works with all three (Fanstasic?) but it's darn expensive.)

Wow.. First time I've heard someone praise the 360 wheel over a Logi wheel.

Besides the settings in rFactor, what are your settings in windows ?

Hey Darin,

My Windows settings are:

Overall Effect Strength = 100%

Spring Effect Strength = 0%

Damper Effect Strength = 0%

Centering Spring Strength (Enabled) but @ 0%

Degrees of Rotation 341

Plus I have ticked off two other options

- Use Special Game Settings

- Allow Game to Adjust Settings

I thought these would be good to enable as I would want the feedback from the game the Moder wanted the player to feel.

Inside r-factor when I'm using Real Feel I have it set to 100%

Not using Real Feel = -100%

And Strength set to Low. (When I have it set to High I do notice less notchyness (I know this is not a word, but you guys get my point) but, I get a big push on exist of corner. My lap times and the # of times I bounce off the wall both reduce.

Plus, I want to clarify something. Tonight I went on r-factor racing the 1995 Cart Mod at Indy. I really tried to pay close attention as to what was happening on the screen and how it was effecting the wheel. And, I will stand corrected the DFGT wheel is definitely the better wheel over MS Wheel. But, I notice that it seems that the suspension feedback is being transfered through to the wheel. Where tire grip feedback is less a factor. I would have to say the opposite is true when speaking of the MS Wheel. You really feel how much or how little your tire is gripping the road. But, the FFB is less effected by how the suspension is behaving. It's like when you are trying to get going on snow or ice in real life. Through the steering wheel and throttle a person can feel their tires either gaining or loosing traction and can adjust. With FM3 and the MS Wheel I know when I'm pushing a corner to the maximum. Where I find so far I'm having trouble finding that point with the DFGT. But, note the DFGT was a Christmas Gift so, I know it will take some time to adjust to the different feedback.

Those are what we run.> Sometimes I'll bump the FFB up to 107 or so.. It supposedly gets rid of some of the center slop.

I think at this point you are feeling what the software is telling you.. Each sim is different in that manner.. Each mod in rFactor is different too as a matter of fact.. In regards to RealFeel. Sometimes you have to be at -100 (or whatver number you want) for it to feel right. Some mods were created with the negative FFB numbers.

Hey Darin,

My Windows settings are:

Overall Effect Strength = 100%

Spring Effect Strength = 0%

Damper Effect Strength = 0%

Centering Spring Strength (Enabled) but @ 0%

Degrees of Rotation 341

Plus I have ticked off two other options

- Use Special Game Settings

- Allow Game to Adjust Settings

I thought these would be good to enable as I would want the feedback from the game the Moder wanted the player to feel.

Inside r-factor when I'm using Real Feel I have it set to 100%

Not using Real Feel = -100%

And Strength set to Low. (When I have it set to High I do notice less notchyness (I know this is not a word, but you guys get my point) but, I get a big push on exist of corner. My lap times and the # of times I bounce off the wall both reduce.

Plus, I want to clarify something. Tonight I went on r-factor racing the 1995 Cart Mod at Indy. I really tried to pay close attention as to what was happening on the screen and how it was effecting the wheel. And, I will stand corrected the DFGT wheel is definitely the better wheel over MS Wheel. But, I notice that it seems that the suspension feedback is being transfered through to the wheel. Where tire grip feedback is less a factor. I would have to say the opposite is true when speaking of the MS Wheel. You really feel how much or how little your tire is gripping the road. But, the FFB is less effected by how the suspension is behaving. It's like when you are trying to get going on snow or ice in real life. Through the steering wheel and throttle a person can feel their tires either gaining or loosing traction and can adjust. With FM3 and the MS Wheel I know when I'm pushing a corner to the maximum. Where I find so far I'm having trouble finding that point with the DFGT. But, note the DFGT was a Christmas Gift so, I know it will take some time to adjust to the different feedback.

I do not know! I am really ready to get My Xbox/MS wheel/Forza 3 combo but something is stopping me. I mean that something is a wheel. I never tried it but it just does not look promising. I mean, I think such a great game deserves much better hardware. Even you guys said that its a starter wheel, eventually you will move on. But what are other options? Yes, I know there is Fanatec wheel: $350 and if I understand correctly this is without pedals? This is a bit steep jump. Is anything in between? Besides, this Fanatec is limited edition? does it mean that once it sold out this is it? There seam to be some problem here.

But what are other options? Yes, I know there is Fanatec wheel: $350 and if I understand correctly this is without pedals?

It's $350 with standard pedals, 2 shifter sticks and RF dongle (used for wireless connection to PC + PS3).

The Pure edition without pedals, 2 shifter sticks (it still has paddle shifter) and RF dongle is $250.

Standard pedals is $50 and 2 shifter sticks is $50 if you buy them separately.

Right now they are the only Force feedback alternatiive and it's $350 for the whole package with the standard pedals and shofters like erahk64 mentioned.

The MS wheel gets the job done... just not as good.. Like we said.. great starter wheel. But.. you're also saving more than $250 for that starter wheel..

In regards to limited production.. Im sure Fanatec will have another product following this.. That would be my guess.

I do not know! I am really ready to get My Xbox/MS wheel/Forza 3 combo but something is stopping me. I mean that something is a wheel. I never tried it but it just does not look promising. I mean, I think such a great game deserves much better hardware. Even you guys said that its a starter wheel, eventually you will move on. But what are other options? Yes, I know there is Fanatec wheel: $350 and if I understand correctly this is without pedals? This is a bit steep jump. Is anything in between? Besides, this Fanatec is limited edition? does it mean that once it sold out this is it? There seam to be some problem here.

Thanks for the great show.

I knew it was time to get back into sim racing when I realized I was more interested in the nice racing pod and wheels than Jessica Lopez.

I'd have to agree in summary, that the MS wheel will get you started and beats the controller, but I'm already looking to upgrade to the Fanatec Turbo S controller (for its support for all my systems, the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

Anyway, keep up the great work, I think my last real sim experience on on the PC ages ago with the occasional Gran Tuismo sessions in more recent time, so it's been a real learning experience. Very entertaining.