Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ISR DIY Rig #2 SIMUL8Rs PVC

47 posts in this topic

How heavy would you say this rig is?

Roughly, I would say with just the PVC frame, wood mounts and so forth, about 50 to 60 lbs. Depending on the type of seat and gear, about 110 to 130 lbs.

Hey guys, checking in from Sydney Aus.. ive been racing sims since pole position on c64 but never had the time or money to have abit more fun and take it to a level that had a dedicated rig. anyway that time has come and with a log in to project cars and a g27 setup i have hooked myself once again. its not a high end setup i know but i think its a good start.. over the last few weeks of planning to build simul8rs ingenius design and watching ppl customise it to suit themselves i have had a tonne of fun and ive really enjoyed darrina and shaun's videos .. the way those guys portrayed iracing was enough for me to wanna check it out and although im currently building the rig and havent raced for a week or so i really cant wait to get this thing all finished and painted and get it home to sign up for iracing.. 

thankyou to everyone on this site and to darrin and shaun, Im reading pages and pages of these forums and watching youtube everyday for tips.. i really hope i can get to a level of being able to safely drive in iracing and enjoy some close racing like ive seen alot of ppl experience.. hope to talk to some of you soon , ill post up some more progress on the weekend and the finished result  :)

.. my original setup, no room not good competing with my fps peripherals.. 

20130623_213131.jpg

The plan was to build an exact copy of simul8rs  ( except with the shifter on the proper side :P ) but now it has evolved to become a triple monitor rig with an interchangeable wheel / keyboard section using separatable pvc threaded unions

20130629_200200.jpg20130629_200223.jpg20130701_214351.jpg20130702_211045.jpg20130705_224532.jpg20130628_164808.jpg20130628_164715.jpg20130705_205710.jpg

G'day Fuzzsomniac. good to see another Sydney sim racer.

I am also from Sydney and have built a simul8tr PVC sim as well, but used PN18.

Looks like you are using PN12? Id say you have been to bunnings warehouse.

And the seat, did you get is from supercheap auto recently as they were on sale?

Cheers, David.

G'day Fuzzsomniac. good to see another Sydney sim racer.

I am also from Sydney and have built a simul8tr PVC sim as well, but used PN18.

Looks like you are using PN12? Id say you have been to bunnings warehouse.

And the seat, did you get is from supercheap auto recently as they were on sale?

Cheers, David.

Hey Dave,

your pretty much on the mark with all that, i did use pn12 i felt that schedule 40 was somewhere between pn12 and pn18 and decided to save abit of cost and try the pn12 (i figured it would probably do me to a point that if i wanted more than that i will upgrade to a full steel pre fab design), the design is still very rigid and im happy with how its coming out..

i bought most of the pipe and fittings from castle hill irrigation and some extras from bunnnigs, the seat is indeed from supercheap and i got it for $189.

i honestly cant wait to get into abit of iracing, prior to building the rig i was playing some f1 2012,gt5, project cars and dirt 3

Hey Dave,

your pretty much on the mark with all that, i did use pn12 i felt that schedule 40 was somewhere between pn12 and pn18 and decided to save abit of cost and try the pn12 (i figured it would probably do me to a point that if i wanted more than that i will upgrade to a full steel pre fab design), the design is still very rigid and im happy with how its coming out..

i bought most of the pipe and fittings from castle hill irrigation and some extras from bunnnigs, the seat is indeed from supercheap and i got it for $189.

i honestly cant wait to get into abit of iracing, prior to building the rig i was playing some f1 2012,gt5, project cars and dirt 3

PN12 would be good for a static rig, but as said, I had to use PN18 for a motion rig. I got it from a wholesaler , total eden. You can buy COD from them and I found them heaps cheaper than retail.

PN18 is surprisingly solid I found, as I have had steel rigs in the past, but of course, steel is liked , but heavier by far than PN18.

A few of us race on race 07 friday nights after 10:30pm and Dirt 3 saturday nights after 10:30pm. I am joined by a WA, Austrian and Uk bloke, all on sims smashing the crap out of each others cars in game. We use mumble chat and have a good laugh. Drop us a line if you would like to join.Its all good fun.

I got the seat recently myself from supercheap for $148. 

Nice design FUZZ, the distance of the wheel could be brought closer unless it works for you as is.  Oh, and your shifter is on wrong side. :)

lol nah the shifter is just right bud :P

you may be right about the wheel although the seat was too far back in the pics for my driving position, when forward its good and the peddles will be pushed back a little, i know that all the peripherals are able to move quite abit so once ive done my monitor stands this weekend ill finalize the wheel / pedal / shifter positions..

yeah like you said dave i believe that the australian pn12 pipe is strong enough for a static rig, once i finish ill look to hook up with you guys for some racing, does anyone know how iracing performs for australian players? im really keen to start an iracing career

Interesting point on shifter location.

On PVC frame, right hand sequential, on steel "all in one" paddles on wheel and left hand 6 speed gate shifter. I have to learn to drive again swapping between rigs.

Pn12 might be strong enough for motion , will have to investigate...

Interesting point on shifter location.

On PVC frame, right hand sequential, on steel "all in one" paddles on wheel and left hand 6 speed gate shifter. I have to learn to drive again swapping between rigs.

im in love with that th8 thrustmaster shifter, im wondering if i can intergrate that with my g27 wheel then i would put a shifter on both sides.. :)

im in love with that th8 thrustmaster shifter, im wondering if i can intergrate that with my g27 wheel then i would put a shifter on both sides.. :)

It plugs in as a separate USB device, so there is no reason you shouldn't be able to.

two hands on shifters and knees on wheel to steer. Love it!

My sequential is home made and plugs in as a separate device as well. I just configure buttons to the game, well, it has 2 micro switches wired to an old controller inside.

two hands on shifters and knees on wheel to steer. Love it!

My sequential is home made and plugs in as a separate device as well. I just configure buttons to the game, well, it has 2 micro switches wired to an old controller inside.

this sounds good dave, i want a sequential and a handbrake when i finish the rig ill have to hit you up and have a look at what you have done with yours..

ive been pushed for time last couple of weeks but i managed to do alittle more over the weekend to the setup, ill post some pictures up after work of my slow progress , main problem at the moment is i have myself in a tiff about what the height of the monitors should be.. i put the centre one in too low then i raised it abit and im worried i still havent raised it enough.. im looking around at other ppl's to get a better idea

sorted out my monitor heights and did abit more tonight, i hooked up gt5 to get a taste and even on a single monitor i was lovin it, cant wait to get it painted on the weekend and get it to my house :)IMG_1407.jpgIMG_6782.jpg

hey everybody, im a newbie to sim racing and i am looking at building this cockpit, when i click on the link on the first post it says that it is no lt onger available, could someone point me in the right direction? any help with this would be appreciated. thank you

i have found my new addiction, haha

Another noob here.  I'm interested in the idea of finally getting out of an office chair and into a sim cockpit and this DIY seems fairly easy and worth while.  However I do have a couple of questions.  

First, I want to make the jump into getting sound transducers and Simvibe in the near future.  Will this rig support adding the transducers easily and effectively?  I have no idea how PVC would react to the vibrations vs. wood vs. anything else.  I'm also concerned about where and how they would mount (thinking one under seat and one near pedals as a minimum).  Any thoughts/input on why or why not this rig would be fine for this purpose?

Second question... I have a 3 monitor setup on a fixed height desk, I'm concerned that I wouldn't be able to get the seat high enough to be at the ideal height I'd need and currently have with the office chair.  How much flexibility is there in the design to account for this?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.