Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

is NFS-SHIFT ever going to be capable of sim style physics

22 posts in this topic

I was one of those people absolutely freaked out by NFS-Shifts advertising, the promise of being "the most realistic sim racer", got the game setup it up... looks phenomenal, raced a couple races in Career.. then it got thrown aside. The game never recognised my wheel correctly so i couldn't even use the full steering angle, and pedals were inverted (brake was gas, gas was brake) yet still placed first in career mode.

NFS-shift is proven modable but will it ever get sim style physics as other ISI based gameengines?

EDIT: Crap Grammar, and its still wrong I know.

Have you tried some of the PC mods ? I'm actually looking for some for our next show.

Darin

I was one of those people absolutely freaked out by NFS-Shifts advertising, the promise of being "the most realistic sim racer", got the game setup it up... looks phenomenal, raced a couple races in Career.. then it got thrown aside. The game never recognised my wheel correctly so i couldn't even use the full steering angle, and pedals were inverted (brake was gas, gas was brake) yet still placed first in career mode.

NFS-shift is proven modable but will it ever get sim style physics as other ISI based gameengines?

EDIT: Crap Grammar, and its still wrong I know.

There are a couple of realism mods I have tried,

one was realism mod 2.0 from simracingworld.com, it has a bunch of different addons, the physics ARE different but instead of being able to throttle and steer as in regular NFS-S, the rear comes out like gran turismo or one of those games and I find still a bit easy to correct for.

the other is a mod that is supposed to have rfactor style physics, better than the realism mod, but handles like the stock rfactor cars haha

maybe, i'm just being picky, or pissed cause i actually bought shift, haha.

I tried the PC Demo when it was released. It looks great, particularly the dashboards and the "tunnel-vision" effects, but what turned me off was the somewhat laggy control response, and the even worse FFB response! I was basically feeling the rear tailwhip effect AFTER I had recovered from the slide! Can anyone tell me if this was corrected by the time the release came out? Or by the patch?

Still, after seeing the mostly positive response from the reviews of the game (as a "racing experience" rather than a sim), I bought the PS3 version when it went on sale for $39.99 at Best Buy.

If my aforementioned grievances have been corrected, I might be tempted to buy the PC version if it goes on sale.

I just don't see it happening. Due to the insane limitations imposed, and the fact that they don't want mods for that game being made (cuts into their ability to sell car/track packs/etc). Even if they did make the physics realistic and damage realistic, there isn't any kind of pit system in the game to repair tire wear/damage(they also stated its not going to be added at all), and I just don't see any Sim fans wanting to race 20+ lap races in a game that doesn't let you even get new tires put on when they have gone bald... I just think the developers want this game to be left as a game for "Average" console racers looking for graphics to show off... Not to mention the plethora of bugs I've come across in Ai and physics. I really wanted to like this racing game, but it just seemed to me like they struck out big time for anyone who is a sim fan. They could of at least gave the player the option to up the laps/damage without having to kill their ability to race online due to miss-matches, but again, it isn't a sim. If only we could use this graphics engine on the gmotor's physics engine... that would be something! rFactor, LFS, or iRacing physics and options with these graphics would equal me never getting anything done in real life, lol.

Hi guys,

I strongly recommend you try the Sharp Mod v3.1 by Julien Regnard. You can get it at NoGrip.

It represents the most thorough attempt to enhance the car handling and give Shift a sim feel.

I'd love to see a mini review on an episode of InsideSimRacing. ;)

Cheers,

Matt

sharp 4.1 at no grip http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=26838 an absolute must for every sim racer.I'd love to see a BIG review on an episode of InsideSimRacing.try this mod and You won't regret it

Just installed it tonight...it's not a mod that works 'straight out of the box' as it where, but it is pretty cool. Found issues with the works cars though...rear end slips out pretty easily (BMW E92 and the Chevrolet Camaro SS).

Overhaul mod anyone?

its a huge patch ... supposed to make the cars drive more realistic and its supposed to be better than realmod

i downloaded it but I want to play the whole game from scratch with it.... haven' t tested it yet

Overhaul mod anyone?

its a huge patch ... supposed to make the cars drive more realistic and its supposed to be better than realmod

i downloaded it but I want to play the whole game from scratch with it.... haven' t tested it yet

It is the best mod for NFFS IMHO, it makes the game/sim very enjoyable.

The new Overhaul Mod v1.4 dramatically changes physics to this game and transforms it into a true hardcore sim. Take my word for it, this old man is pushing 50 and have hammered the best of them. SCGT, NR2003, F1-C and more GTR2/ rFactor laps than I care to admit.

I believe the sim modding community showed thier hardest work on NFS Shift because it needed so much work and showed great potential. Mission accomplished with Overhaul Mod v1.4. Not just a small patch, either. Unpacking files and correctly configuring setups is more than a few hours work to get totally done.

It is worth the time and effort. I added a Track Object Removal Mod to remove arcade banners and structures. Removed all motion blur effects. Added tons of DLC cars.

It is world class now, and anybody with a decent wheel setup will be amazed. I have a G27 driving a Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano and it's alive. Shaun and Darin should mod this and at least try it. It is show worthy.

Have you tried some of the PC mods ? I'm actually looking for some for our next show.

Darin

Darin,

Will you guys be covering this still? I'd like to hear impressions and maybe a "how to" for the mods. I never did get it to work right myself, packed or unpacked. Also, would like to hear if there is a way to unlock races/classes/cars rather than playing through race types I don't want to mess with along the way.

The new Overhaul Mod v1.4 dramatically changes physics to this game and transforms it into a true hardcore sim. Take my word for it, this old man is pushing 50 and have hammered the best of them. SCGT, NR2003, F1-C and more GTR2/ rFactor laps than I care to admit.

I believe the sim modding community showed thier hardest work on NFS Shift because it needed so much work and showed great potential. Mission accomplished with Overhaul Mod v1.4. Not just a small patch, either. Unpacking files and correctly configuring setups is more than a few hours work to get totally done.

It is worth the time and effort. I added a Track Object Removal Mod to remove arcade banners and structures. Removed all motion blur effects. Added tons of DLC cars.

It is world class now, and anybody with a decent wheel setup will be amazed. I have a G27 driving a Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano and it's alive. Shaun and Darin should mod this and at least try it. It is show worthy.

I'm with you 100%, they have done some amazing work. They almost have v1.54 done. I was using the 1.54 beta and it improved on 1.4. Read some of the posts here: http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/showt ... p?t=208349, mainly the last 3 pages to see "how" they’re talking.

I try to get people to try this but they won’t, that’s too bad, they don’t know what they are missing.

Just an FYI - The guys in the NFSS forum at no-grip are almost done with v2.0 of the Overhaul Mod. They have reworked just about every aspect of the physics, visuals, AI along with sounds. They also got DLC from the console version and car conversions from Forza Motorsport 3 (you will need a copy of Forza Motorsport 3 for Xbox)

Check this post http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/showt ... ost1300048 , I feel the same way.

I was on 2.0 beta right when Doug and those folks at NoGrip released it. I don't use JSGME and isn't really required. I prefer having all motion blur disabled in vehicle so I'm careful about my camera files. You can trust these guys even with a beta release as they test thier stuff alot. Great work.

The Better Shift Visuals Mod v1.10 just came out, it is also legendary for cleaning up the track scenery, the arcade looking billboards and making Road America look terrific. I can drive to the real track, so there is my bias.

The Muscle Car Mod is also a must have for fans of Rfactor historix or GTL. Need a Forza 3 DVD and some mod files mixed together so more advanced modding here. Worth the effort again.

The only problems I have around here now is I'm getting huge framerate hits with extra cars, not because of this mod but by my older hardware. It's what I get when you hook up to an HDTV and go 1920X1080 res.

[email protected] 3.2ghz with a 1GB 250GTS. Going the cheap way by getting a newer card, probably a 1GB 460GTX soon and see how it goes.