Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fanatec Drifting Discussion

10 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm BYRacing.

I wanted to open a place on here for anyone who is interested in drifting with the Fanatec Wheels.

I am an avid fan of Rally with countless hours on RBR with the G25, but drifting on Forza 4 with the MS Wheel modded has had me hooked. I drifted competitively for a while in 2008 and 2009. I'm without a car as of now, but I'm planning on building a new drift car around the turn of the year. What I wanted was some effective way to simulate drifting with as little money as possible. I found a way to make a cheap cabinet and it has worked great for me. I used an old broken rear projection TV I got for free, gutted it, got scrap wood, nails, spring, and brackets from Home Depot for around $25. I cut and measured till I had the same control placement as my old drift car. Its ulgy, but VERY sturdy and effective. I first had the MS Wheel with a handbrake, clutch pedal, and a rigged sequential shifter from the G25 stick. Now I have the CSR Elite(722FW) with the handbrake mod and I made a racing wheel hub adapter to fit my old drifting wheel on there. I know that Forza 4 was released with 270deg, but the updates for the game have helped a ton with the countersteer. I spent several hours on Forza 4 trying to zero in on what would work best for recreating what I felt in a real car. I think I got it to 95% accurate now with the tuning I have discovered, and these wheel settings:

Sen - 820

FF -100

Sho and Abs are only for the vibration motors inside the stock CSR and CSRe wheel. Mine are set to zero cause I swapped for a real racing wheel and hub.

Dri - 5

Lin - 000

Dea - 000

Spr - 0

Dpr - 0

ACL - OFF

I am still always trying new stuff, but this is putting a smile on my face. I will be posting a video soon of me drifting in my cabinet.

If you are interested in trying out my drift tuning setups, let me know. I have beginner and advanced drifting tune available. If there is a specific car you want, I can tune it for you for drifting.

7066422739_7bc088d1f9.jpg

7066421223_4a056bd522.jpg

7066422961_a0460bbe43.jpg

7066421927_239184211d.jpg

6920342620_3a277a3e8f.jpg

6920342366_56e28d3c70.jpg

7066421775_af8d0a82ba.jpg

6920346474_980061f018.jpg

6920346606_70c6680a2d.jpg

6920536318_4577cc3511.jpg

7066615567_afa5716b13.jpg

6920348272_c485e1d737.jpg

6920349244_2c1405926b.jpg

Hi can i get some info on Your MS clutch mod in the pic .

Sure! I must apologize up front about the lack of pics, but I can do my best. If you need for info on tearing down the MS wheel, I will try to post a pics walkthrough.

1st you have to dissasemble the wheel and base so that you can get to the buttons inside the wheel itself.

2nd solder two leads to the button used for the clutch on Forza 4.

If you are at this point, you might as well solder leads for the handbrake, and from the upshift and downshift buttons if needed.

carefully reassemble the wheel making sure the wire leads are not in tension or hanging up on anything.

pull the leads through and you are ready to wire the clutch.

First you need to build the modded MS pedal assembly. Get two MS pedals disassemble them.

6920342082_a5862a8c82.jpg

Carefully measure and cut with a fine blade to get the dight size so it looks like this.

7066421125_23c2153fd9.jpg

Get a few brackets and screw them together. If you have a better way of doing this feel free.

7066421775_af8d0a82ba.jpg

This part below took some time to get right, but its amazing how well it works.

7066421927_239184211d.jpg

What you can see is the two leads apart when the pedal is at rest. when pressed, the leads touch.

Now in a real car the clutch is released before the pedal reaches full travel. What I did to sort of simulate this was I took some thick ground wire, then bent them into the arc like you see. what I did was looking from the top, they wire will make contact almost 1/2 way down as you press the pedal past the initial contact, the ground wire is so stiff, it will keep contact sliding against each other as the pedal travels to its max position.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need that walk through.

I like what you have done on your rig :D I have the non elite CSR wheel hooked up directly to a set of DIY pedals. It includes the gas, brake and CLUTCH pedals. It works fine with forza 4 and all it takes is a cable that plugs directly into my CSR wheel and 3 10K ohm linear pots that I took out of some old MS pedals (much like yours). I found the info for the cable here on insidesimracing. I think it would work on a CSR elite as good as it works on my plain CSR wheel. It is documented here as a Fanatec to G25/G27 pedal conversion cable. I suspect you might be happier with a full analog clutch pedal that allows you to partially engage the clutch like a real car over an on off button. Let me know if you are interested or if you need more details on how to do it yourself. Keep up the good work!! :)

Thats awesome you were able to make that! If I didn't have the G25 Pedal adapter cable, I would have definitely done your mod. Funny thing is with drifting, clutch kicking is more of a direct on and off action. Thats why my MS pedals worked out so well in this setup. I will keep this in mind for future reference if I know anyone who is on a budget and wants a wheel. Thanks for the info!

How did you do that handbrake?

I desperately want a handbrake with my Fanatec wheel, im trying to find a way to do it before i buy the $300 wheel

The best way to get a hold of me is on my youtube channel if you have any followup questions. Here is the link. I will be making a video on how to install a handbrake in the CSR Elite, and how to install a clutch pedal, sequential shifter, and handbrake in the MS Wheel as well.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BYRacing77

Here is a video where you can see a walk video through on how to install the handbrake in a standard CSR wheel.

Here is a video of my friend after he did the mod himself.

I hope this helps. You will love your wheel I promise. :D

Hey mate, do you run on Simulation steering or normal? I own the CSR Elite and just curious about your SPR setting as I set mine to -3 ...so there is no spring back! Should I put it back to 0 for a true to life drifting experience? Cheers bud.

I apologize I have not been on this forum often due to lack of activity. Best way to reach me is on my youtube channel. Simulation mode on Forza 4 was to help create a real world response to steering with the controller. I used it with the MS wheel and it seemed to be fine with it too. On the CSR it was horrid. I HIGHLY advise Normal steering. As for the spring back, find a setting that works best for you. I was able to play with the standard CSR wheel and it does have a different feel to it than the CSR Elite. The most important settings are drift mode, damper, sensitivity, and forcefeedback to help keep the car under control with realistic response.