Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wheel Shootout Part 2 - Gran Turismo and F1 2009 for PSP

18 posts in this topic

Our 53rd Episode of Inside Sim Racing sponsored by http://www.simraceway.com. On this show we finish our Wheel Shootout between the Logitech G27 and DFGT, Fanatec 911 GT3 RS and 911 Turbo S and the Thrustmaster F430. We also score Gran Turismo for the PSP as well as review and score F1 2009 by Codemasters for the PSP. We also have Top Sim Cars #8 with the Megane Trophy Car by RSDG and the GT Legends DeTomaso Pantera.

Great show guys. It was nice to see the Pantera in the Top Sim Cars segment. And thanks for mentioning my name (well, my forum name that is) as the one who recommended it.

About the wheel shootout, I understand the logic behind using the same pedals for all wheels throughout the entire shootout, but for the viewers that are considering purchasing one of these wheels, wouldn't it make more sense to use the pedals that come with them? The two Fanatec wheels are both available as stand alone components, but the other 3 all come with a set of pedals as standard equipment. The G27 also comes with a shifter. And there's a shifter set available for the Fanatec wheels. I was expecting to see the pedals and shifters as part of the shootout, because they play a huge part in making the decision about which one to purchase. In fact I consider the pedals to be more important than the wheel.

Also, comparing the much lower priced DFGT and the Thrustmaster F430 against the two Fanatecs and the G27 is not a fair comparison at all. They had no chance against the big boys. I know all 3 reviewers stated that all 5 wheels are quality products, but all 3 also said that the F430 was their least favourite. It just makes it look bad unfairly. Two separate shootouts would have been more fair. One for 'budget wheels' (DFGT, F430, Fanatec Carrera wheel when it's released, and there's probably others), and another for higher priced wheels like the G27, GT3 RS, and 911 Turbo S. Maybe the F430 would still rank the lowest, but at least it would have a chance.

Thanks for the post.. We truely wanted to make it about the wheels and not the package or the pedals.

We'll be doing a similar shootout with the whole packages at a later date.

Great show guys. It was nice to see the Pantera in the Top Sim Cars segment. And thanks for mentioning my name (well, my forum name that is) as the one who recommended it.

About the wheel shootout, I understand the logic behind using the same pedals for all wheels throughout the entire shootout, but for the viewers that are considering purchasing one of these wheels, wouldn't it make more sense to use the pedals that come with them? The two Fanatec wheels are both available as stand alone components, but the other 3 all come with a set of pedals as standard equipment. The G27 also comes with a shifter. And there's a shifter set available for the Fanatec wheels. I was expecting to see the pedals and shifters as part of the shootout, because they play a huge part in making the decision about which one to purchase. In fact I consider the pedals to be more important than the wheel.

Also, comparing the much lower priced DFGT and the Thrustmaster F430 against the two Fanatecs and the G27 is not a fair comparison at all. They had no chance against the big boys. I know all 3 reviewers stated that all 5 wheels are quality products, but all 3 also said that the F430 was their least favourite. It just makes it look bad unfairly. Two separate shootouts would have been more fair. One for 'budget wheels' (DFGT, F430, Fanatec Carrera wheel when it's released, and there's probably others), and another for higher priced wheels like the G27, GT3 RS, and 911 Turbo S. Maybe the F430 would still rank the lowest, but at least it would have a chance.

Fantastic show, I had been looking for it since the 9th of December because at one time you were going to have a show on every 9 ending in a month (ex. 9th, 19th, 29th). I have said this before that I just found your site about the 3rd week of November and have watched every episode that you have had. I also said and would like to repeat it that because of your review of the G27 my wife actually let me get it for Christmas. I bought it at Amazon for $249.03, and that was including shipping and everything. I see that Amazon has got it again, but now it is back up to $299.99 base price. I look forward to your shows now and also to Christmas because my wife won't let me have it till Christmas Eve. Keep up with the excellent shows because I find them all to be really interesting. I really like your top simcar section that you do. The G27 is my very first wheel and I want to start in GT5 prologue (until the full version comes out), and really am just a noob at the whole sim racing scene. I really did not even no there was such a thing until I found your site. Well I got off topic a lot here, but this is just a message to let you know that I love each and every one of your episodes and can't wait for the next. Merry Christmas to all of you at insidesimracing and maybe I will see you in GT5 sometime (my PSN is the same as my name here).

Thanks Bubba ! We're actually moving to a weekly schedule.. We hope.. Next show will be up on You Tube, Saturday December 19th at 6:00 EST if all goes as planned.

For SimRaceway.com members, it will air at their site on Thursday December 17th at 6:00 EST.

Fantastic show, I had been looking for it since the 9th of December because at one time you were going to have a show on every 9 ending in a month (ex. 9th, 19th, 29th). I have said this before that I just found your site about the 3rd week of November and have watched every episode that you have had. I also said and would like to repeat it that because of your review of the G27 my wife actually let me get it for Christmas. I bought it at Amazon for $249.03, and that was including shipping and everything. I see that Amazon has got it again, but now it is back up to $299.99 base price. I look forward to your shows now and also to Christmas because my wife won't let me have it till Christmas Eve. Keep up with the excellent shows because I find them all to be really interesting. I really like your top simcar section that you do. The G27 is my very first wheel and I want to start in GT5 prologue (until the full version comes out), and really am just a noob at the whole sim racing scene. I really did not even no there was such a thing until I found your site. Well I got off topic a lot here, but this is just a message to let you know that I love each and every one of your episodes and can't wait for the next. Merry Christmas to all of you at insidesimracing and maybe I will see you in GT5 sometime (my PSN is the same as my name here).

I think that reviewing all the wheels together was just fine. The Thrustmaster would look challenged whether it was last in a budget test or last on this review. I did wonder if the Fanatec Turbo S suffered a little due to its rather abrasive stitching compared to its smooth but grippy Alcantara brother. All in all a very helpful and balanced review. Many thanks guys.

Regards,

Paul

Good job with the second half of the shootout. I thought it pulled the whole review together. It really comes down to who's hard core and who is wanting to run a few laps now and then. If you live in the details then the top 3 wheels are for you. I own the DFGT and I've had a lot of fun with it. If I build a rig and get back into PC sims I'll more than likely go with the Fanatec Porsche GT3. Bitchen looking wheel, after the review, I now know it's everything I assumed it was.

BTW - Keep up the bloopers, they're hilarious!

I think that the two sides of the review really helped show that there isn't truly "One wheel" for everyone. It all comes down to personal taste, and I think you guys demonstrated that while the Turbo S won the shootout on its technical merits, it's not necessarily the one wheel everyone MUST have, especially if you already like the wheel you have. Good job, guys!

Now, if only ALL of us could try every wheel... lol.

Great show! Yes, I don't think there is one wheel fits all. Heck, I saw a video of a gentleman on the iRacing boards who decided he wanted the rim of the older fantastic wheel with the innards of the new one so he did the swap. Don't think I could do that..I'd be too nervous taking a brand new *expensive* wheel apart. I should add though that he did accomplish his goal and did not damage anything.

I am greatly looking forward to what you have coming up in the next few weeks, especially putting iRacing though your weighted rating system...can't wait so see how it stacks up!

Overall, a very fair evaluation of the various wheels IMO.

I have both the GT3 RS wheel & a G25. I would agree that the Fanatec wheel feels the most like real-life driving with smooth, steady, strong FFB, while the "notchier" G25 (I assume the G27 is similar) is faster turning & therefore may result in slightly faster lap times. Personally, I think I prefer the more spare, "generic" look of the G25 & it's thinner, "bony" feeling.

However, I would agree with a previous poster: for practical purposes you really need to evaluate the total package with shifters & pedals. As you know, the stock Fanatec mounting system leaves something to be desired & the H-shifter is hard to use with the standard wheel rods. On the other hand, the floppy G25 shifter (I understand it's somewhat improved with the G27) isn't all that impressive either. G27 paddles significantly nicer than the Fanatec paddles etc. etc. So I think taking the total packages into consideration, you will probably end up with similar conclusions.

Finally, for many buyers cost will be a larger consideration than your weighting allows for. On a cost/features basis the DFGT probably deserves to win, while eliminating the Xbox compatibility issue, the GT3 wheel would come out on top overall.

I am not sure about the G25's shifter, but I did see a video of someone just flicking from gear to gear with his index finger. I have the G27 and I tried the same thing and the shifter was a lot more stable or firmer (not sure how to describe it, except it took force now to put it into gear). The Fanatec is nice to have the Porsche license, but I believe that may be where the price point is making it a tough sell for some people, but then again it is compatible with PC, Playstation and Xbox (so for the people who are multi system gamers it is the best choice) or if you have money to burn then you could have all of them set up on multiple sim rigs, any people out there like that? If so let me know and we can be friends :D!!!!

Overall, a very fair evaluation of the various wheels IMO.

I have both the GT3 RS wheel & a G25. I would agree that the Fanatec wheel feels the most like real-life driving with smooth, steady, strong FFB, while the "notchier" G25 (I assume the G27 is similar) is faster turning & therefore may result in slightly faster lap times. Personally, I think I prefer the more spare, "generic" look of the G25 & it's thinner, "bony" feeling.

However, I would agree with a previous poster: for practical purposes you really need to evaluate the total package with shifters & pedals. As you know, the stock Fanatec mounting system leaves something to be desired & the H-shifter is hard to use with the standard wheel rods. On the other hand, the floppy G25 shifter (I understand it's somewhat improved with the G27) isn't all that impressive either. G27 paddles significantly nicer than the Fanatec paddles etc. etc. So I think taking the total packages into consideration, you will probably end up with similar conclusions.

Finally, for many buyers cost will be a larger consideration than your weighting allows for. On a cost/features basis the DFGT probably deserves to win, while eliminating the Xbox compatibility issue, the GT3 wheel would come out on top overall.

I know that the guys wanted on purpose just compare the wheels, but as a potential buyer we would need to compare the whole package. Though I think the G25/27 pedals are not bad (I do have a G25) the ClubSports look a little bit better and just for the extra precision given by the extra USB I think that package is more for the money.

I doubt that many people owning a G25/27 will buy an extra Club Sport Pedal.

I myself am considering upgrading purely for the buttons on the wheel.... but the money argument is still stopping me :D.

We will be comparing the full packages on a show most likely by March.

Your take on the clubsports are right on.. The G25 pedals are very good. The clubsports offer more adjustablility and precision. We used the clubsports in that test for a reason ;-)

I know that the guys wanted on purpose just compare the wheels, but as a potential buyer we would need to compare the whole package. Though I think the G25/27 pedals are not bad (I do have a G25) the ClubSports look a little bit better and just for the extra precision given by the extra USB I think that package is more for the money.

I myself am considering upgrading purely for the buttons on the wheel.... but the money argument is still stopping me :D.

I am getting a set of CSP. I got the Turbo S Pure but I am planning to use the G25 wheel with the CSP. Unless the Pure really impress me when combined with the CSP. :|. I really like the paddles of the G25 a lot better then the ones on the Pure.

hi guys liked the way you rated the wheels.i am a big fan of the racing sim {grand prix & indycar racing} my favourite but i'm feeling like a poor relation these days, because i no longer own a pc instead i have a xbox and they dont seem to have a good quality steering wheel (compatibility) seems a big issue. you only mention the 911 turbo s which is nice but not nice enough i have £200 to spend could stretch it out to £300 if needed could you please advise me on the best wheel i dont need the pedals as i would not be able to use them i look forward to your reply keep upthe good work

Hey there buzzychip,

For the xbox 360 there is not alot of selection in wheels. The xbox wheel had for some time been one of the only wheels available.

The 911 turbo is a huge improvement over a xbox360 wheel. This is true on all levels, performance, looks, design, function, plus the wheel will also work on a PC should you ever get one again.

There is no comparing the price difference. And for some people the 911 might just be too expensive. However for the hard core xbox racer, it is money well spent.

I hope this helps.