Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DiRT2 PC impressions

5 posts in this topic

I been playing a few races on Dirt2 PC since its released on Dec 8. Here are some impressions of the PC version. First off, Dx11 is no great deal if that would influence you to upgrade to a Dx11 vid card. Don't bother. The pace of the game is fast that you will really not notice it over a Dx10. Here are a few vids I posted at the simtube area and Youtube.

Dirt2 PC in game FRAPS cap. Setting at ULTRA DX11 and 8AA at 1920x1080p. Only set at "Savage" race setting. Vid card is ATI 5870.

The next one is an example of the center axis turning that seems common to all Codies racing games. Not as pronounced in Dirt2 as it was in Dirt and Grid. In the vid you will not notice it in the replay much but when its in cockpit mode you can clearly see it.

This vid is just a nit pick when I see something that does not seem right. Dirt 2 PC Morocco (windshield water splash effects ?). All IMHO stuff. The effects do not seem realistic at all. The only times that it could look like that are, if you entered a deep water hole and the water came over the hood or another car dumped the water on you. Not when it's solo thru the water puddle. The wipers from the external (non existent ?) and internal views do not correspond. This race was done via hood cam where there is no water effects, since the AI has no water vision prbms. Also what's with the random wiper actions which are distracting.

Over all Dirt2 is fun and a pretty racing game.

BTW: I really sux at dirt racing along with drift racing. I like to keep the expensive ;) rubber firmly planted and let them do their work when ever I can. I like time (traditional) rally but not the rest.

I've always liked Codemasters. I think they'd be the perfect developers to make a state of the art sim if they didn't have to consider to catering to more people.

It's nice to see my modest PC can actually handle modern games at 1920x2080 still (I keep filtering real low anyway).

I have an Intel 6600 Quadcore CPU @ 2.4 Ghz and an nVidia GeForce 8800 GT w/ 512 megs. Lucky for me, PC technology stood relatively still for a few years, because I'm just starting to game on mine now.

Dirt 2 is a great looking game, let it be on DX 10 or 11 it does not matter. DX11 still needs to grow & develop which it will do in the near future of upcoming games for PC. it wouldn't surprise me that DX11 would be the new standard if & when the next Xbox console would be released. As of now the difference between DX10 & DX11 is very marginal which makes sense if you get my point. I'm going to upgrade to the new GTX 3XX series, probably opting for a 395GTX. I actually can't wait for those cards because of the new features like tesselation etc. It will give nVidia a new lead in the gaming industry "graphically" with the release of the GTX 3XX series it won't be long before we start noticing well developed games specially designed for DX11. DX11 will hopefully also improve rendering & framerates in future games, that's actually what it's aiming for technically speaking.

the newer ati cards already have those features.

I know but that's not the point, i'm not a fanboy & i do realize that Ati has the best new cards out right now, but i'm not rushing in because i'm actually keeping track, my GTX 285 is sufficient enough for gaming, i don't need a new card at this moment. But by keeping track of technology you can figure out which company is best to sail with, at this moment i would say Ati, in the coming few months? You will definitely want to have an nVidia if you can afford one, the new features will keep your new high end nVidia GPU running for 2 years... My GTX 285 is about a year & a half old & it never let me down. Besides, i do prefer a combination of Intel & nVidia for Flight Simulator X which imo, because of experience is the best setup to get for that game.