Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Braking in GT5...

5 posts in this topic

Hi folks,

I want to hear your experiences with braking in GT5.

Here is my "story":

First I used the DFP and coming from GT4 (PS2) I found it very tricky to use the brake in GT5 (no ABS).

I had to put the brake balance down to 1 or 2, otherwise the wheels would have locked by just looking to the braking pedal :twisted: So in tough races I used ABS, otherwise I found it really hard to drive.

With arrival of my GT3 RS Clubsport Edition it changed a lot. In most of the cases braking without ABS was no problem. The load cell brake is not linear (no potentiometer) so I could step on the brake and adjust quite good. In almost all of the races no need for ABS.

Now as I am using the T500 set on GT5 it changed again. The pedals are completely different in resistance compared with the DFP. But braking is again very tricky. I often use ABS again. And I am again putting brake balance from 5 (CSP) back to 2 or 3 (sometimes 1). Otherwise again the wheels are locking very easy. I have already tried with and without the realistig brake mod. I have maximum travel adjusted and maximum resistance (~10kg without the mod, stated in the manual).

Have you experienced the same? Or am I just braking to hard? Is it just a matter of practice?

In GT4 I had no problems at all with braking. And thats with the DFP. So I am a but confused.

Thanks for your replies in advance :)

Robert

It's a calibration issue... Before you actually race.. Make sure to press the brake, gas etc to its full range.. Otherwise it just acts as an on / off switch until GT5 realizes you have that full throw of the pedal.

Fanatec's have the same issue, it's just harder to recognize because of the adjustable brake.

Even with proper calibration the brakes in GT5 lock very easy compared with other sims. It helps to blip a little when downshifting with some cars, even though it's not required to complete the shift.

I have to just turn the brakes down when not using the abs. I usually just set abs to 1 when the room allows it, I guess I'm just not hard core enough :(

Oh I use a stock g27. I have the NIXIM mod v2 but I havent installed it yet. so I cant say if that will help or not.

Calibration was also my first idea, so I did exactly what you suggested, Darin. So I guess it's just a matter of a more sensitive brake in this game, than in others. I will try to adjust myself, because I prefer to drive without ABS.