Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wheel Shootout and iRacing HQ tour

32 posts in this topic

The GT3 and 911 have the same "paddles" or buttons with metal paddles on them.

Are the paddle shifter switches on the two Fanatec wheels the same? I have the Porsche Turbo S wheel and the paddle shifters are more buttons than the switches of my old red Logitech Momo wheel.

Just wanted to say thanks to the ISR people, have been hovering a while on the site and watching the show before finally deciding to sign up after the latest episode.

As you can see below I'm console only at the moment so a touch limited in the more serious end of these things. I'm so close to buying my first "proper" wheel and the latest episode is not helping my efforts to resist buying one. They all seem really decent wheels and the main decision maker seems to be that elusive "feel" that people have with model over the others, it seems to be a real recommendation to try before I buy if I can just find somewhere that does that.

Anyway, thanks again for the shows.

Hi John,

Glad you made the leap and joined our forum.. Looks like you need a Turbo S seeing that you have the 360 and the PS3.. Now all you need is a gaming PC to run the PC sims. ;-)

Great to have you! Feel free to ask questions here.. If I can't help.. Im sure one of our many cool forum members can help..

See you on the track !

Darin

Just wanted to say thanks to the ISR people, have been hovering a while on the site and watching the show before finally deciding to sign up after the latest episode.

As you can see below I'm console only at the moment so a touch limited in the more serious end of these things. I'm so close to buying my first "proper" wheel and the latest episode is not helping my efforts to resist buying one. They all seem really decent wheels and the main decision maker seems to be that elusive "feel" that people have with model over the others, it seems to be a real recommendation to try before I buy if I can just find somewhere that does that.

Anyway, thanks again for the shows.

I loved this episode, as I have all the others. After my personal issue with Fanatec, I am at a crossroads as to which wheel(s) to get now, since I want to play on my PS3, PC and Xbox 360.

Hi John,

Glad you made the leap and joined our forum.. Looks like you need a Turbo S seeing that you have the 360 and the PS3.. Now all you need is a gaming PC to run the PC sims. ;-)

Great to have you! Feel free to ask questions here.. If I can't help.. Im sure one of our many cool forum members can help..

See you on the track !

Darin

Thanks Darin,

Absolutely no chance on the PC side to be honest as we've recently converted over to Macs and are very happy with it. It does of course remove a lot of options on the gaming/sim side but that's why we have the two consoles.

I think at the moment I'm most tempted with the Logitech Driving Force GT even though it's PS3 only but to be completely honest I can imagine I'm going to spend most of my driving time on Gran Turismo 5 when it's released. There's are a selection of driving games on the way and already released on that machine which pretty much cover what I'm looking for.

I realise they don't quite have the full on simulation set up that titles such as iRacing but at the moment they do close to everything that I want them to do.

Out of interest, is anybody on here aware of any sims on available for the Mac? I've not been able to find anything which really stands out.

I think you're in luck John.. I've heard of people running Windows on Macs to play games and it works great..

Not 100% sure of it.. But I'm almost positive there's a few iRacers on Macs..

Thanks Darin,

Absolutely no chance on the PC side to be honest as we've recently converted over to Macs and are very happy with it. It does of course remove a lot of options on the gaming/sim side but that's why we have the two consoles.

I think at the moment I'm most tempted with the Logitech Driving Force GT even though it's PS3 only but to be completely honest I can imagine I'm going to spend most of my driving time on Gran Turismo 5 when it's released. There's are a selection of driving games on the way and already released on that machine which pretty much cover what I'm looking for.

I realise they don't quite have the full on simulation set up that titles such as iRacing but at the moment they do close to everything that I want them to do.

Out of interest, is anybody on here aware of any sims on available for the Mac? I've not been able to find anything which really stands out.

Yep, I happen to have a 15" MacBook Pro, which I also use with Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit) in its own partition via BootCamp. It's like having two notebooks in one! If you have a recent Mac, you should be able to run the sims; I'm not sure you'd be able to run with all the graphic bells and whistles, but run it you can. :)

I would advise running it via BootCamp vs. any of the virtual options out there, since you will get a performance hit due to the virtualization. How bad, I wouldn't be able to tell you.