Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wheel Shootout and iRacing HQ tour

32 posts in this topic

Episode 52 sponsored by http://www.simraceway.com. This episode we bring you part one of our 5 wheel shootout. The 5 contenders are.. Thrustmaster Ferrari F430, Fanatec 911 GT3RS and 911 Turbo S and the Logitech DFGT as well as G27. Watch part one to see how they faired on the performace side. Also we get to tour http://www.iracing.com headquarters where Jessica Lopez sits down with Dave Kaemmer and Tony Gardner. Also Top Simulation Cars of All time.. This show we have the PCC 2007 mod from rFactor.

i'm very surprized at the results in the shootout witch is cool because i'll be owning 3 out of the 5 wheels when they are deliverded from fanatec, i was not to impressed with watching the wheel move as much as it did on the vision racing rig, for that kind of money, it should be solid as a rock, it sure is pretty, but for that kind of money, i could build a ugly one that would be more effective. i think that kind of movement would drive me nuts. iracing had a great point about the demo, it would be a wreck feast, just look at forza 3, i get spun out on there all the time, right at the start or first turn, and with a 30 second countdown, your almost out of the race, but it's just a game. great job everybody and when i get some extra cash, i'll send it in. right now at a dollar for every time i watch, i owe you about 50 bucks, do you take sim money? lol, later guys and lady

yea, but if i'm going to win any races, i can't be pussyfooting around, same with drifting, your going to want to wrench on the wheel, i will be any way. when i do receive my wheels from fanatec, i'm going to give them a break-in period, set all the motors to there lowest setting and slowly increase them, it works for car and motorcycle engines, so i'm thinkin it might help to make my wheel last longer. then i'll drive the crap out of it.

OMG, I can't believe that Jessica originally mispronounced my name! LOL, I kid, I kid... Actually, she's not the first person to pronounce my name "joo-lee-o", and surprisingly, not the first person of Latin descent either. :P

Great job on the interviews, guys, and Thanks for using my question! :D

BTW, I whole-heartedly agree with the review of the PCC... Among other things, it definitely has to be one of the most popular mods with the community, and for good reason, too. If you don't have this mod in your rFactor library, get it now! :D For those interested, I recently downloaded some additional liveries painted by Alex Koda of KodaFactory, which includes some pretty neat ALMS liveries.

Enjoyed the episode a lot...especially the visit to iRacing's HQ. One question I had about the speed comparisons of the wheels. How applicable is it to an individual looking to buy a wheel? The reason I'm raising this question is I think that there is a big aspect of individual comfort/preference/familiarity that could impact lap times. If you're testing a wheel you've been using vs. one that's brand new the brand new one might lead you to have a slower lap time simply because you're not used to it, whereas 6 months hence your laptime might actually be faster. Am I making sense or am I totally off? Also, a wheel might be more comfortable to one reviewer (Hence faster lap times) and less so for another (so slower lap times.) I think your weighted rating scale comparison will be very interesting.

Again, thank you for all your hard work making these shows!

i'm very surprized at the results in the shootout

It doesn't surprise me at all. You really don't buy a wheel to get the best times. Any competent wheel will get you good lap times. You get a wheel because it is more fun, realistic, and immersive. If you look at the Forza 3 leaderboards, there are some pretty amazing times at the top and they are mostly done with the MS wheel or a controller. We know the MS wheel is not in the same ball park as a Fanatec wheel but you can still get fast times with it. As far as using a controller, some of the fastest racers use it, but I sure don't want to use it anymore.

When you look at the average times, all the wheels are fairly close times.

Oval - fastest 19.904, slowest 20.059

Road racing - fastest 43.166, slowest 43.618 - 2nd slowest is 43.339 (only .17 off the fastest).

Off road - fastest 1:18.434, slowest 1:19.516 - and the 2 fastest were the 2 cheapest wheels.

Enjoyed the episode a lot...especially the visit to iRacing's HQ. One question I had about the speed comparisons of the wheels. How applicable is it to an individual looking to buy a wheel? The reason I'm raising this question is I think that there is a big aspect of individual comfort/preference/familiarity that could impact lap times. If you're testing a wheel you've been using vs. one that's brand new the brand new one might lead you to have a slower lap time simply because you're not used to it, whereas 6 months hence your laptime might actually be faster. Am I making sense or am I totally off? Also, a wheel might be more comfortable to one reviewer (Hence faster lap times) and less so for another (so slower lap times.) I think your weighted rating scale comparison will be very interesting.

Again, thank you for all your hard work making these shows!

You make perfect sense. This part of the review, other than being interesting and showing you can get good lap times with any competent wheel, isn't real useful. It isn't very scientic either. It would have been more useful if all 3 had recorded times on all the different course types.

The weighted scale will be more important, but even more important is how the drivers feel about each wheel. I remember in another episode Darin and Shaun had reviewed a Fanatec wheel and Shaun had scored it lower than the Ferrari wheel but when asked which one he preferred he picked the Fanatec easily.

I have no idea what is up with the sync being out on this show.. I think it happened in conversion at You Tube. Our raw version plays fine..

Glad you guys are liking the shootout and it really does come down to personal preference.. Wait till you see part two ! :-)

I like the creativity of the shoot out. It does come down to personal preference but awesome job of thinking outside the box and trying new things. That is in fact how we all get better at anything. Thanks for taking the time and spending the money to go back east to the IRacing head quarters, that was fun to watch.

Looking forward to the next show!

send me that logitec GT wheel when your done with it, mabe have an auction or a lottory or drawing, that would be fun, we can pay for shipping....AND THE WINNER IS SCOTT P. SHAFER...... thank you.......thank you

Um actually it would sound more like......And the winner is.....BREADEDCHICKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! And the crowd goes wild. Just joking, but if there are any wheels being given away i would be one to pownce as i do not have one. I think it is a great idea though.

I always enjoy the show, and this episode takes the cake for me. I started watching around the time that you all went and first played FM at the game show.

Going to iRacing HQ was enough to push me over the edge, I am going to play that game as soon as my college breaks for the winter. I'm sold! You all go that extra mile.

This show has pushed me to check out racing outside of my XBOX 360 (I played FM2 religiously). I got rFactor last month, and am getting good nuff to try out simraceway / online (so far I'm only racing AI).

I also always appreciate the "tech tips" and racing etiquette pieces.

Great job guys.

Oh, and another thing. I had an idea.

You all are doing a top sim car segment, why not a top track segment? Maybe once you get 50 or so cars on your list. This might revitalize the concept. I am on rfactor central and loving the variety of tracks! But not all are created equal, and you all could discuss as much. IE Spa 88' is a fantastic track / remake and Road America... not so much.

Plus on a segment like this, I am SURE that we'd see more console titles. I am not bragging on T10 or Digtal Polyphony, but FM3 and Gran Tourismo have some wonderful tracks. I'm sure iRacing does too.

Just an idea! :)

We may.. We had it scheduled but are sticking to the Sim Car segment for a while. I made a list based off of this thread. viewtopic.php?f=104&t=1046 . We'll be covering most of the cars in that thread.

Great post before this one ! ANother converted console racer ! Not that we don;t love the consoles, cause we do.. They just don't compete with the realism of the PC sims when it comes to the racing and driving experience. Consoles own graphics though.

Oh, and another thing. I had an idea.

You all are doing a top sim car segment, why not a top track segment? Maybe once you get 50 or so cars on your list. This might revitalize the concept. I am on rfactor central and loving the variety of tracks! But not all are created equal, and you all could discuss as much. IE Spa 88' is a fantastic track / remake and Road America... not so much.

Plus on a segment like this, I am SURE that we'd see more console titles. I am not bragging on T10 or Digtal Polyphony, but FM3 and Gran Tourismo have some wonderful tracks. I'm sure iRacing does too.

Just an idea! :)

I wonder how much FFB affected the times, on dirt at least the wheel with the weakest FFB won

Good question.

...or rumble or lack of..

That might be an interesting segment. Take a wheel and test it using different amounts of FFB and rumble. See if times are affected much with little or no FFB/rumble.

Not that we don;t love the consoles, cause we do.. They just don't compete with the realism of the PC sims when it comes to the racing and driving experience.

I was a little surprised to read this, Darin. I thought your review of Forza was pretty much glowing. Did you refer to it as a "real sim"?

Also wondering if you'll be doing a report on the upcoming GT5 demo/contest due out on the 17th of this month.

Another great epi ... keep up the good work!

Cheers.

Another great show guys. This wheel shootout is gonna be awesome :D

I've been lucky enough to own all of the wheels featured in this shootout

except for the Turbo S and F430, and I have to say, I'm not really surprised by the results so far.

I'm beginning to think that the DFGT--in terms of pure performance--is the best

"bang for your buck" wheel in sim racing--even with it's less than stellar pedals.

I own a refurbished DFGT and a G27 right now. I got the DFGT for $58 off eBay, and

it works great.

I noticed that you used the Clubsport pedals for this test though. I'd be interested

to know if you think that helped the DFGT's performance in this shootout?

From my experience, I am slightly quicker with Logitech equipment than I was with

the GT3RS wheel and Clubsport pedals. I know not everyone will feel the same way though.

I can see where the GT3RS/Turbo S would be better for oval racing though, as they have a

way of taking the twitchiness out of tail-happy cars, and are overall just a little bit smoother

wheel when compared to the Logitech wheels. So if you are primarily interested in Sim oval racing,

the Fanatec wheels may be the way to go. But for road/circuit racing, you can't beat Logitech wheels, IMO.

I've got the DFGT hooked up on my rig right now, and I'm matching or beating any time trial records

I made with the Fanatec or G27. Also, like the previous poster, I'm looking forward to the GT5 demo that will

be available for download on Dec. 17th. Reportedly, they have updated the physics engine, which is hopefully a good thing. Prologue's physics were pretty good, but they are a notch below sims like rFactor, GTR's and probably 2 notches below iRacing :D Most people are guessing there will be two different tracks for the GT5 demo--one for U.S. players (NTSC) and one for EU players (PAL). Many think the U.S. will get the Indianapolis GP course, and that the EU may get Spa or Silverstone. I'm going to do my level best to get both, by creating an EU-based PSN account.

Cheers

I really enjoyed the episode especially visit to Iracing. I have a question, do they offer public openhouse events? I am local and would definitely love to visit the place if it is any way possible, even though I am not a member yet.

Your show is much appreciated. I regularly catch myself checking out the site to see when the next episode will be out ;)

I was wondering if you could explain why the TM F430 wheel is the only wheel from TM in the comparison.

I think the F430 is a good addition to the shootout but it seems to aim at a market simular to the DFGT. The 2009-version of the TM RGT FFB Clutch however, is a newer wheel which aims at the slightly more demanding consumers: the ones who'd like a clutch pedal, a sequential shifter and analog paddles alongside shifter paddles. It is the most feature-packed wheel TM has to offer, although it only has 270 degrees steering angle.

The RGT FFB is not a very expensive wheel, and that could make it even more interesting to compare against the Fanatec wheels and the G25/G27. Darin was positive on the bang-for-buck ratio of the older version and it only got cheaper since.

Are you guys planning to compare future wheels to the testresults from this shootout?

THanks for the post genady..

No I don't believe they offer public events.. I may be wrong though

I really enjoyed the episode especially visit to Iracing. I have a question, do they offer public openhouse events? I am local and would definitely love to visit the place if it is any way possible, even though I am not a member yet.