Thrustmaster Wheel modding: noob question
1 1

2 posts in this topic

Hi all,

After searching and searching and searching on Google, it seems that all the best resources on modding thrustmaster wheels leads to this forum, so I figure it would be best to ask here and get a fairly concise answer.

I'm completely new to electronics and wiring. I'm currently in the process of doing a button box to get some experience and know how before I risk ruining a wheel.

I want to mod my Ferrari F1 Add-on, and perhaps my open wheel addon later - and my primary goal is to just add detented rotary encoders with an adruino board.
My concerns are with compatibility if I was to remove the stock PCB and redo the entire wheel with adruino. Ideally I would like to keep the wheel as is, but add on an adruino board to control the rotaries, and run a usb out of the wheel for those functions only.
For example, in F1 201X there's an issue that crops up if you have your wheel in advanced mode in that it behaves like a controller for steering. I'm worried this will happen if I were to go full custom adruino cause I'm completely oblivious as to how the axis calibration and reading will work if i take out the original PBC.

Is it possible to fit an adruino pro micro in with the stock guts of the Ferrari F1 add-on with the wiring for 4 rotary encoders? Will the encoder's pins fit or do they need to be horizontal opposed to vertical?

On the topic of the open wheel addon, is it possible/easy to just remove the stock momentary rotary encoder and solder a new fully rotational detended encoder using the original cables?

Thanks for any help. 

On 1/3/2021 at 12:42 AM, JebstoneRace said:

Is it possible to fit an adruino pro micro in with the stock guts of the Ferrari F1 add-on with the wiring for 4 rotary encoders? Will the encoder's pins fit or do they need to be horizontal opposed to vertical?: Yes it is totally possible. The steering wheel has a lot of internal space. The stm32 board is a more interesting option than the arduino.

https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/diy-pedals-buttons-controller.8867/