Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Supercar Challenge & Top Race Review

15 posts in this topic

Episode 51 of Inside Sim Racing. On this show we review Supercar Challenge for the PS3 and Top Race for the PC. We also take a look at iRacings new build with the Dallara Indycar, Corvette C6-R and Mosport. Also ,Top Simulation Cars of all Time sponsored by http://www.simraceway.com where we review the Toyota Supra for rFactor and the Indycar by iRacing.com. Also Tech Tips by Shaun Cole about where to start with a setup.

hmmmm.... i'm a little disappointed with the scoring of SCC. obviously i don't mean any disrespect to you guys. reviews are always a little subjective.

i know that physics can be a little subjective, but this game has the best physics of any PS3 racing title out there IMO. the PS3 doesn't exactly have the best selection of racing games, but i put this right at the top as of right now. i also think the force feedback in this game completely blows every other PS3 racing game out of the water.

one thing i'm not sure if you guys noticed was that about two thirds of the cars in the game are on street tires while the other third are on race tires. the Zonda that i see you drove a lot is one of the worst cars in the game. i drove it once and will not ever touch it again. i'd also say the handling on half the cars suck until you go in and tune them up. the tuning is kind of basic but it really can make a big difference. on the other hand, take out a stock C6R Corvette, the F50 GT, or the F430 GT2 (which all have race slicks) and it's a whole different story. they all handle very nicely. i'm sure you noticed the huge difference between the DBR9 and the Zonda.

the force feedback that i get from this game on my G27 is the best i have ever felt. when a car starts to understeer through a corner i'll feel the wheel pulsing a little bit. it's pulsing along with the sound of the tires starting to skip on the pavement. i have never felt this in another PS3 racing title. all the other games i've played just feel very empty and boring in comparison. the bumps and elevation changes in the track also feel very good to me, unlike Shift where they are jerky and toss you around excessively. i put Gran Turismo 5p in the other night and it just felt like crap after playing so much of SCC.

why did multiplayer get scored so low? i saw the score but you guys didn't touch on it. this game offers one of the best online experiences out there on the PS3 and it's only going to get better. they have a patch in the works that totally revamps the multiplayer to run even smoother.

i'll agree with you guys on the AI(the AI IS terrible), the graphics, the sound, the damage, and the cars part of your rating, but honestly that's it. in my book the physics, FFB, and fun factor rate very high.

but like i said in the beginning no offense to you guys. i just see it differently.

Episode 51 of Inside Sim Racing. On this show we review Supercar Challenge for the PS3 and Top Race for the PC. We also take a look at iRacings new build with the Dallara Indycar, Corvette C6-R and Mosport. Also ,Top Simulation Cars of all Time sponsored by http://www.simraceway.com where we review the Toyota Supra for rFactor and the Indycar by iRacing.com. Also Tech Tips by Shaun Cole about where to start with a setup.

Another great job guys. I'd like to give that Supra a try. I'm not an oval guy, but running the Dallara Indy car at Indy last week was the most excitement I've ever felt in a sim race. We had grids of 28 or so drivers and it was tense as all heck. You could really get in a groove running at Indy and the draft was important, but driver skill mattered more. I've tried Texas this week too and now I know what Dega and Daytona are like when people talk about draft lock. It's a freight train of cars all drafting each other. Indianapolis was great, because it was a big relatively flat oval where you could push it right to the edge lap after lap. Fun stuff.

Can't wait to get back on the road courses though. Barber in week 1 was awesome, but I'm glad I'm learning ovals. Totally different type of racing.

the Zonda that i see you drove a lot is one of the worst cars in the game. i drove it once and will not ever touch it again. i'd also say the handling on half the cars suck until you go in and tune them up.

I haven't played SCC, so keep that in mind, but what I gather from this is that if you manage to make the Zonda F one of the worst handling cars of your game, there is something wrong with your sim.

Another good show guys. I ordered SCC hoping that it would be better than

Ferrari Challenge, but sadly, it's not. It may even be a step back from Ferrari Challenge if anything.

Like everyone else in NTSC-land, I had to order this game from a European game-site. I did so in spite of mediocre to sub-par reviews it got because I had read reviews from other sim racers (whose opinions I value) and they thought it was an under-appreciated game that deserved better ratings. Sadly, I pretty much agree with all of the scores in your weighted rating scale, except that I would have given sound a 6.5 or 7 out of 10 instead of the 8 you gave it. Also, I can't comment on multiplayer yet because I haven't taken it online yet, but if it's like Ferrari Challenge's online, I'd say the 2 out of 5 is pretty spot on.

As far as physics go, I'm not impressed by the physics in Supercar Challenge. I've played the game with both the GT3RS and the G27. I ran a wide array of cars with stock settings and all assists off except ABS at 1, and the physics are just okay at best. BEFORE going into a corner, the physics feel pretty good. Weight transfer is good, realistic difficulty of braking is pretty good, but once you turn in, it's like the car is on rails through the corner. There is virtually no oversteer in most of the cars while cornering.

It's very difficult to to spin cars out in this game--and I'm talking about cars that should be difficult to drive like the Enzo, 348, 250 LM, 612, Testa Rossa, etc. I even tried with ABS at 0 and it didn't noticeably improve the feel. At best, ABS at 0 seemed to slightly alleviate some of the understeer on turn-in, but that was about it. It was a little easier to lock the brakes as well, but not nearly as realistic as it should have been.

Really dissapointed with SCC. Overall, NFS Shift is a better game--bugs and glitches included--which is a sad statement for SCC.

I think it would have been better to put off the Supercar Challenge review until the excitement about the release of the Indycar for iRacing died off a bit. I got the impression that Shaun hadn't had much fun with SSC and I suspect a lot of that was the resentment that the chore of reviewing this game was taking away time to get that "beast" under control. There are clearly issues with SSC but I think scoring it this low was undeserved. If you put enough time in the game to find the cars and setup that work then the FFB and physics model is clearly superior to, for example, NFS Shift.

So the best part for me from this show was the Indycar segment which did look great and a lot of fun to drive.

Feedback on your rating systems - I like the visuals with the rating. It's a lot easier to follow along and seems to be the right amount of catagories. It looks sharp too!

I do have to disagree with this show on what you may have been hearing in sound. No matter how the game played, the sounds on SC challenge sounded pretty good. As compared to IRacing's new indy car that you scored high. That car sounded digital and seemed to lack the realism and depth. What am I missing on how you rated the sound?

We had a feeling that Supercar lovers would get on us for this show.. hehe

We went into this game hoping it would be great. I put it in no less than 10 times trying to have fun with it..

If you can't race the AI, whats the point ? The physics were just ok to me. I probably like the force feedback a little more than Shaun.. but overall.. this title missed the boat. It was a chore for me to play as well..

Maybe I'll set it up on my rig with a different wheel and my buttkicker to see if I can enjoy it,. Compared to other offerings, this title lacked a lot.

There were more than a few beta testers who tried to tell them not to release

the game without some major changes. They did some minor ones and released

the game on schedule. The whole process put me off the game, the developer

and beta testing as a whole. Basically they just used us to test the load on the

servers for online play and ignored our cries for a "real" sim.

Flame me if you will, but I won't be purchasing the game, it's not what I want.

Meanwhile with GT5p becoming old, I find myself going back to rFactor time

and time again. Simraceway.com had a nice Supra server up for a while!

To us it looked like they added some cars to the "so-so" Ferrari Challenge engine..

Im with you Lernatix... It could have been a great title too !

There were more than a few beta testers who tried to tell them not to release

the game without some major changes. They did some minor ones and released

the game on schedule. The whole process put me off the game, the developer

and beta testing as a whole. Basically they just used us to test the load on the

servers for online play and ignored our cries for a "real" sim.

Flame me if you will, but I won't be purchasing the game, it's not what I want.

Meanwhile with GT5p becoming old, I find myself going back to rFactor time

and time again. Simraceway.com had a nice Supra server up for a while!

I think the SCC review is a little unfair. There's not getting around the fact the the AI is atrocious in this game, unlike the AI in FC which was not bad. However the physics & the FFB of SCC are good, communicating the G-forces & feel of driving better than any other game I've tried. While Shift may overall be a better game, SCC is a far better sim-racer, as long as you're playing online!