Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stereo ButtKickers?

8 posts in this topic

So, i'm fantasizing about my ideal race rig (with a pinch of achievability and not factoring in anything like a £9k D-Box system!) and i've been considereing the plausability of having dual buttkickers, set up in stereo, so that not only do you get the rumble, but you also get a sense of orientation with the rumble.

Going through a chicane and hitting the rumble strips left, right, left, in quick succession and feeling that on the left and right of the rig would be excellent immersion. With two buttkickers and 2 seperate amps its obvioulsy possible to get two channels of rumble, but my sound engineering career never really got going, so my question is about the bass, the low end frequency. Is this likely to be split left and right in the game? i think i read somewhere that bass is non directional, so therefore, there isn't much point in splitting it for stereo. I have no idea!!

My concern is that even though i have stereo buttkickers, the signal (low frequency) going to each will be the same, so therefore, the intention of getting some left, right, left chicane rumble action is going to fall flat on it's ears (face)

Am i making sense? :)

my surround sound amp is bust and i dont have a pair of headphones to test it out (in terms of the bass signal) but i was just wondering if anyone out there had any experience of setting up a rig with dual buttkickers??

If you're Buttkicker amp is being fed by the LFE output of your PC or receiver then I would say no. I would recommend getting one of the Buttkickers designed for home theater, not the gaming version. One of those should be all you need. You can also always add a second later on.

You can certainly have stereo tactile feedback, but you would need to use multi-channel signals to the buttkickers rather that the LFE inputs. The bass signal through LFE would most likely be mono and negate what you are trying to achieve.

There is a guy named Mr Latte over at GTPlanet who has been building a very complex rig with this idea in mind. You could take a look at his thread over there where he has very detailed info and testing about how to do this.

He has welcomed many people to PM him with questions regarding stereo and surround tactile setup.

Here is a link to his thread over there. http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=126937

You can certainly have stereo tactile feedback, but you would need to use multi-channel signals to the buttkickers rather that the LFE inputs. The bass signal through LFE would most likely be mono and negate what you are trying to achieve.

There is a guy named Mr Latte over at GTPlanet who has been building a very complex rig with this idea in mind. You could take a look at his thread over there where he has very detailed info and testing about how to do this.

He has welcomed many people to PM him with questions regarding stereo and surround tactile setup.

Here is a link to his thread over there. http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=126937

The rig you linked to is great. The way he utilized the three buttkickers was very cool. I might consider something like that as well now that I think about it.

Mr Latte's rig is indeed off the scale! Some really good info there, thanks (although i'm only 16 pages in!!). It seems as if the buttkicker, used alone, has draw backs, particularly when used with GT5, primarily due to wind noise in that game. The sound set up in Mr Latte's rig is totally insane, i thought i had big ideas, but thats just taking it to a whole other level!!

So i think i can take it that splitting the signal and running dual, stereo buttkickers is possible and is not a stupid thing to be trying to do. It's just a matter of getting the amplification/equilisation settings tweaked.

Mr Latte doesn't speak much about using buttkicker amps. The gamer2 amp has some control options, but nothing that could be described as a true equaliser. Anyway, i guess i'll just have to make a few purchases and test it all out!!

His plans for that rig are so over the top that its no surprise its still in progress after more than a year. I had given some thought to attempting surround tactile but am leaning more toward stereo now. Buttkickers, or other brands of transducers, can be used with amplifiers and even a home theater receiver if the speaker outputs will operate at the correct ohm ratings. Many receivers operate at 8 ohms, but there are some that will do 4 ohms or you can purchase a stereo amplifier. Then you can either use an equalizer to fine tune the frequencies or just a simple crossover/bass-blocker.

Hi

You do not say what system your running it on but xbox and forza is left and right output. Your best to PM Craftyfox for info he has a multi tactile rig.

Daz

It would be primarily for GT5. Having reviewed the GTPlanet thread, i'm certain its all possible, but i think its going to be some trial and error to get it so that its a good clear seperation and that the Wind Noise doesn't dominate. Still not totally sure if i should be thinking too hard about buttkicker vs Clarc. The impression i get is that the Buttkicker is more aggressive whereas the Clarc transducer is more progressive, maybe not as violent as the Buttkicker, but with a broader range. Hmmm. I really have no intention of going down the route Mr Latte has taken, but a lot of lessons can be learned from what he's doing, which is commendable.