Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thrustmaster TH8RS Shifter Review

16 posts in this topic

An exclusive first look and review of the Thrustmaster TH8RS Shifter for the PC and the PS3. This stylish shifter is mostly made of metal and has gates that look right out of a supercar. It is an 8 speed shifter that works as a stand alone device and even works with Gran Turismo when used with a T500RS wheel.

Nice review. You give an important advice : the shifter will be very high with a wheelstandpro.

I am also a bit disapointed by the fact you need to mount a specific part on the shifter to switch to sequential shifter. When I drive, I like to use the same input than the real car : paddles, shifter with clutch or sequential. Until now, my old G25 allows this, it is strange that G27, fanatec shifters and then thé Thrustmaster shifter does not support fast shifter switch.

Great review Shaun, I ordered mine last week and am glad to hear that you thought so highly of it. Sure hope that I do too. :lol:

I do have a question about switching from H-pattern to sequential shifting, can it be done while in-game in GT5 or do you have to disconnect/reboot the game on the PS3?

Wow Shaun you have almost sold me on this shifter! I was gonna wait til Todd's CST shifter, but I'm now leaning towards this one.

OK I have two questions....

1)...Shaun I have a very important and specific question I'm really hoping you can answer.....it's about Windows 7 and how it acknowledges the shifter. Can you please tell me which ID # Windows assigns to the shifter under the windows control panel devices settings? This is *crucial* for me and will determine whether I get it or not. You may wonder why and the reason being, is because Windows *ALWAYS* makes my Lightning SST shifter Device ID#1, which causes problems for some of the older games I play. So if this shifter gets assigned an ID# of 2 or even better 3, that would help a lot. Please let me know Shaun it would be greatly appreciated.

2)....how does the TH8RS feel in comparison to the Lightning SST? I like the SST but don't like the short throw, and would prefer a longer throw in the gate.

Nice to finally see this get reviewed before release, it was announced/shown quite some time ago.

Seems ages in fact...

Enjoyed your review and comments.

The PS3 situation is rather dire with this though. Deserved less marks because of that, even though it looks excellent.

Many people bought the T500RS being a "PS3 Certified" product and really the compatibility issue is quite a sore point with future support not confirmed by all major game studios. I just do not understand how a product can be "Officially Certified" yet have to work in a reduced compatibility mode with the majority of games. To top that off we havnt seen a signal from Sony, Thrustmaster or major PS3 game developers to step forward and announce their "long term" support of the product.

Not everyone is a pure "sim racer" and Im sure many others like myself just play on consoles. Yet we are willing to lay down the money on good products to enjoy the games we do play with a high level of hardware. This no doubt will be an excellent addition to GT5 but its not enough to win me over.

The problem is Daytona USA, Dirt 3, WRC 2, NFSS2 - Not being supported fully by the wheel/shifter or indeed both is a major reason not to buy it right now anyways. Personally I will be awaiting more news on the Fanatec upcoming wheels and Clubsport shifter?

Quality/Performance is one thing but if it only works on a few games thats going to be a real deciding factor for console fans who are still serious about their racing/hobby.

ISR at times I feel relate more to the PC Sim Gamers viewpoint in reviews but hey guys dont forget us console yet still hardcore fans of racing games. For the PC user this is a great product but for the PS3 owner, oh that compatibility is a major drawback. With no assurance of "what games" or "when" this shifter will work on other PS3 games, personally I think that should be highlighted more and possibly imo effect the overall scoring.

Thank you all for the comment on the shifter review so far. Some great questions and feedback out there.

Isamu: The shifter shows up in the 2nd position on my system. It has been a while since i ran my SST but I remember vividly that it always took the 1st position.

As far as feel goes they are completely different. The Thrustmaster with the goes is much more defined when selecting a gear. Also the throw is much longer then the SST.

Mopar Mike: I havent actually switched it in modes during the game because you actually have to take it apart or at least change the faceplate. Today I was running the F1 wheel and the shifter was in the sequential mode, I wasnt using it at the time. I wanted to change to the gt wheel and gated shifter. It took me about 4 minutes to change the wheel and shifter plate. In windows i have to restart my computer to get the T500 to switch modes. With that said I would unplug it from the ps3 change the plate and plug it back in.

Crafty Fox: some very good points are made by you. When reviewing this shifter i honestly thought that it was more intended for the PC users. After all with only one supported game on the PS3 that seemed more like an exception to the rule then truly compatible. As far as our mind set of the PC racing and the show being more geared for that group I have mixed feelings. We really do love every aspect of racing games on any system and with any tools. But when given the choice we certainly want to cover, or to use the best products available.

Once again thanks for the feedback.

Thank you all for the comment on the shifter review so far. Some great questions and feedback out there.

Isamu: The shifter shows up in the 2nd position on my system. It has been a while since i ran my SST but I remember vividly that it always took the 1st position.

As far as feel goes they are completely different. The Thrustmaster with the goes is much more defined when selecting a gear. Also the throw is much longer then the SST.

Shaun...you ROCK. Period. That's all that needs to be said. You are an invaluable asset to this community, and I can't express enough how much I appreciate you taking the time to not only answer our questions, but for continuing to do such awesome reviews. Thank you good sir and keep up the GREAT work!

I just recieved my race pak including the T500 and TH8 and the wheel is amazing and has made every game feel completely different over using a G27. The shifter does not work with dirt3 on ps3 and that sucks, if I end up getting all my codemaster games on pc then I will be fine with it anyway because the graphics are just better on pc with full 1080p. I got mine from Costco for $594 with shipping and tax, not a better deal out there for the wheel and shifter. I just can't believe they had it, this shifter would just be the best if ps3 would be more friendly to it. Can we just email codemasters a million times and get em to make this shifter work!! Yeah, and monkeys might fly....

Hey Shaun, I know I', late to the party on this review and shifter but it sounds perfect for my price range and needs. Just one question that hasn't really been answered, is there a positive feel/click when in sequential mode? It looked pretty soft from the video. I would rather use a sq stick for, say the Corvette in iRacing or Riley.