Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Forza Motorsport 4 Wheel Buyers Guide

22 posts in this topic

A wheel buyers guide to Forza Motorsport 4 and the Xbox 360. The Xbox has always been short on peripherals until now and that comes just in time for the release of Forza Motorsport 4. In this video wee cover everything from playing with a controller to the new Fanatec CSR Elite while that is compatible with the xbox 360. We also cover some of the pedals that are available as well as shifters to round out the entire FM4 experience.

Good episode guys. Its good to have you back Darin. Its good you are with a good company that you believe in and I am sure we all understand that you may promote your products a bit more but it seems you still were fair to the other products you had shown so keep up the good work.

cheers, Dustin

I only have one question about the CSR Elite. Will there be a decent or better table clamp on it? I wont be able to hard ount it immediately when I buy it so I will need to use a table clamp for it.

I play a little bit to FM4 last evening, I understand why you love this game. And you tease with the CSR Elite... I hope the development is going right. Nice to see Shaun and Darin together ! Great buyers guide guys.

Good overview of 360 wheels. I'm due for an upgrade. Right now I only have an MS 360 Wireless wheel and use that mostly for Forza 3. I just finished building my new gaming PC for Battlefield 3 and plan to get into iRacing when I get a new wheel.

I'm a bit torn though because I'm not sure if I want to get a GT2 or CSR vs getting a PC/PS3 only wheel that would save me some money since I have a PS3 already. Since I would be able to play GT5, I'm not sure the extra expense of a $250 + whatever I can afford for pedals is worth it just for Forza 4 which is the only 360 exclusive racing game I know of.

I'm thinking of getting the Carrera Final Edition which is just a killer deal or maybe a G27 since they seem to be getting cheaper lately.

This is going to be a hard decision :)

Ok you guys after watching your shows for longer than i care to remember i have placed my trust in you an ordered a new fanatec csr wheel for my xbox 360 ready for forza 4.

I am looking forward to getting my hands on my first decent all format wheel and pedal setup.

Thanks for all the hard work you all put in to the sim community and long make it continue.

Jason.

sry but this was really subpar imo. you skimmed over all peripherals and spent 90% of the time covering Fanatec. this was nothing more than a glorified Fanatec infomercial.

even if the other wheels are not as good as the CSR Elite, they do deserve a little more thoroughness. it's not like the punter with a 70$ budget is going to be in the market for a $500+ wheel, which i believe isn't even out yet. some may have liked some more comprehensive info on the non-Fanatec products - isn't that the nature of any wheelguide worth its weight in paper? we actually got more info/hints on CSW wheel than we did on wheels that actually are xbox compatible and available for purchase. you could have gone out and bought the madcatz wheel if they didnt send one, esp if you make ad revenue and stake your rep on making a buyer's guide.

i laughed when i viewed the pitch on the "new" Fanatec CSR shifters, it's like old recycled shifters painted with gloss and added some metal knob for bling - costing 2x the price of the other version. did Fanatec even bother to change where the cord plugs in (ie underneath) since this can make hard mounting a pain? we didnt even get that depth of info. i'll bet Fanatec have tons of stock of gloss black paint for the shifters and wheel base :twisted:

sloppy. can't say that I am surprised, as this was bound to happen given the situation. :roll: defintely feel a disturbance in the force ;)

used to value opinions on these shows and were a great help in the past, but it is clearly not the case anymore. taking people for a ride may win in the short term, but it will bite you where the sun doesn't shine in the long run. choose wisely

to end on a positive note. at least Darrin was honest and made it clear he is a Fanatec sales rep. good for Fanatec but not so good for SRT, viewers, and even prospective advertisers.

Darin, good to see you on the show..

You guys make a great team, in fact it is your shows and site that got me into sim racing.

I built a rig based on Darin's old 80/20 rig and bought a Thrustmaster T500RS, just ordered the TH8 shifter on Amazon.

My PC is home to F1 2011, Dirt 3 and iracing. I bought a PS3 to run GT5 and didn't think I would be using my Xbox 360 for sim racing until last night when I purchased FM4.

Now what to do about a wheel?

I get the feeling that soon me and my rig will be spending a lot of time in the garage/dog house

Andy

I was a bit worried before watching the video, but you mentioned many times it was not a review and also made clear several times that you (Darrin that is) work for Fanatec and declared your bias outright, which to me is completely fair.

The only problem is that it seemed more of a long advertisement explaining Fanatec's line. However when doing a buyer's guide for the 360, that is pretty much unavoidable. I feel like you guys would have done this video if Darrin worked for Fanatec or not. Unfortunately, Fanatec is the only choice right now for any serious sim racing on the 360.

I do have a bit of criticism though. I wish you would have explained more of the difference between the wheels beyond "this is one is high end" and so on. I'm not sure it was mentioned in the CSR review, but what is the rim size? From the video it looked the same as the GT2.

Also worth mentioning is the GT2 appears to come with the g25/27 pedal adapter, while the CSR does not. If the wheel rim is basically the same size, I think I might pick up a gt2 just to save on getting the wheel adapter, use my g25 pedals, and avoid the Forza branding while I'm rocking out some GT5. ;)

I really wish we'd get a better idea as to how much better the Elite is to the normal CSR. I'm sure I'm in the same boat as many others here. Get the CSR now, or wait for the Elite. I'm willing to wait for it if it's 20% better, but if it's barely noticeable to 10% better, maybe I shouldn't bother waiting to pay twice the price. Any hints on that note?

Darin & Shaun,

This was a total bias towards Fanatec and Darin you even admitted this in the video. You did touch bases with the other competitors but you had none of there products to show at all yet you had Fanatecs whole line on display. This should have been titled "Fanatec Forza 4 Wheel buyers guide" Shame on you!!!

This did devolve a bit into a Fanatec informercial when Darin brought out the CSW wheel which won't even work with the 360. But at the same time, other than the one Madcatz wheel, Fanatec is the only game in town for the 360 unlike all the options for the PC & PS3. Maybe it should have just been Shaun and Jessica doing the guide without Darin there. Might have come off better.

Ok you guys after watching your shows for longer than i care to remember i have placed my trust in you an ordered a new fanatec csr wheel for my xbox 360 ready for forza 4.

I am looking forward to getting my hands on my first decent all format wheel and pedal setup.

Thanks for all the hard work you all put in to the sim community and long make it continue.

Jason.

I ordered 1 too after watching the show. I usually use a g27 for iracing but need something for Forza 4.

This did devolve a bit into a Fanatec informercial when Darin brought out the CSW wheel which won't even work with the 360. But at the same time, other than the one Madcatz wheel, Fanatec is the only game in town for the 360 unlike all the options for the PC & PS3. Maybe it should have just been Shaun and Jessica doing the guide without Darin there. Might have come off better.

Thanks for the comment BK and to the others concerned about my presence in this show.. No matter who was on it, it would have looked like that because Fanatec is the only one with mid to high end options on the XBox..

How much detail did you guys want on the wireless speed wheel from MS ? Did we not say enough about the other products ? We menionted the same about all of them, Fanatec just had more stuff..

Also... We mentioned the CSW because some have confused it with the Elite.. I was trying to clear up confusion about the products.

Sure Shaun and Jess could have done the show.. But I figured you'd rather here it from someone who knows it first hand, versus someone that read it from a script.

Sorry to any that took offense to my appearance on this show.. We didn't compare, rate, talk about pro's cons, etc.. It was just... "here's what's available" oh and by the way.. the Fanatec rep happens to be in the building, lets talk to him..

If I had more negative than positive comments on this vid, I'd be concerned.. You can't imagine how many emails I've got thanking me for clearing up what is available for the XBox from Fanatec..

Darin,

I didn't think your appearance was bad. Like you said, it probably wouldn't have been any different if you weren't there. My comments were more about how appearances of a bias on the show which others were complaining about in the thread could have been avoided. It would have been a Fanatec infomercial regards of who did the show because they are the only game in town practically for the Xbox 360.

My only real grip with this video was you didn't explain enough the differences in the CSR, CSR Elite, and Clubsport pedals and why the price differences. I know there is a chart out there on the Fanatec site but I thought that Wheel/Pedal guide video could have been a great opportunity to clear all that up about the pedals. I for one understand the differences in the wheels for the most part. Its the pedals that are still the murky thing to me.

Sure Shaun and Jess could have done the show.. But I figured you'd rather here it from someone who knows it first hand, versus someone that read it from a script.

I thought I read (on the forum) from you that if there was any type of conflict with Fanatec and other company's that you would stay out of it. To me the video looked more like a Fanatec sales promo.

Sorry to any that took offense to my appearance on this show..

It is not so much that I took offense to you plugging Fanatec in the video, I always looked at you guys for giving an honest unbiased report. I am sorry but now that you are working for Fanatec this can not happen if you appear in any Fanatec spots regardless of your good intentions.

Ok guys you can breath again my fanatec wheel turned up 4 days after ordering and is a real step up from my xbox wheel i have been using. I was a little worried about spending near on £300 on a wheel, thats what i normally spend on a console itself! , but after a few races to get used it im glad i did.

Although if i had not come across your website and videos and started to look at racing sims again and in a new light i would not of spent that sort of money on a wheel so you do have something to take some of the blame for so expect a few words from my other half when she see,s our next credit card statment !

Jason.

Well I have to agree with some of the comments.

ISR has become the promtional wing of Fanatec and has been for sometime with exclusives teasers and preview videos. The relationship seemed always to be a good one and at times yes ISR have criticised certain things about Fanatec or their products in the past and rightly so.

ISR is wanting to be seen as the No.1 source for such reviews/information, what the hell is this they didnt send us one so we havnt it on the show. It is obvious that Darin's position is indeed a conflict of interest and very well you know this guys. Over the years you have done tremendously well getting new product exclusives sent to you by many companies.

In my opinion Darin (loved as he is) should not take part in any future comparisons. Fine, have him represent Fanatec and their products. Did anyone count how many times Darin you now refer to Fanatec as "WE". Watch it again and its clear to see why some indeed are criticising this as like an infomercial or a bias towards Fanatec. Like it or not your going to get labelled that way anyways by some just for the sake of it and it maybe compromises the shows integrity to a degree.

This comparision, gees it left as many questions unanswered before it started and didnt go into enough detail explaining Fanatecs lineup. Ahem / what Fanatec wheels work with the "pedal adapters"? Oh so I can upgrade my wheel first and still use my old pedals and then buy the new ones, yes or no? Such a simple basic but real circumstance for many viewers wasnt even mentioned/confirmed.

Thomas stated around GDC a proper pedal comparison was coming, this wasnt clearly that well thought through Darin and comes across as a teaser/promo more for Fanatec products than a well detailed report regarding FM4 options. You cant be Mr Fanatec Representative and Darin of old, its one or the other.

May I make a suggestion that ISR sometimes go out and buy products to do full comparisons if indeed they do not have them all sent FOC by the respected companies. If you dont have the products for the comparison to do it properly then wait to you do have the products ready. Oh you didnt even bother to try the "Speed Wheel" Darin, wow what an ommision. I just feel the show is beginning to take certain things for granted and could bring more self passion back into what interests you guys or what your dying to try rather than the steady flow of products sent in for promotion and advertising/sponsor commitments.

Is ISR starting to be deemed by a small portion as a commericial entity rather than personal opinions of old? You guys need to sit down and chat and take the advice criticisims given or just ignore it and continue to lose credibility.

I found this wheel guide quite interesting and well I was wondering which wheel would you suggest for the F1 2011 game. I am thinking about getting the Fanatec CSR Wheel with the Elite Pedals at some point in the future.