Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'Out of the box' idea for pedals

2 posts in this topic

I'm looking for more realistic pedals for my G27, and plan to use actual pedals from a car (junk yard).

The throttle will be easy to adapt; simply take the pot off of the G27 pedal and attach to the automotive pedal wtih a custom bracket.

For the brake, I plan on using an OEM automotive master cylinder, and a fluid based potentiometer.

For the clutch, I could either reuse the G27 rotary pot, or do a hydraulic set up like the brake (but use a clutch master cylinder).

I've already found a fluid 10k pot to use, which puts out the same signal as the factory G27 pot, and can handle the PSI seen in automotive brake systems.

Theoretically, using a brake master cylinder that is valved for rear drums would give you options regarding how the pedal to 'feels'. Use a front disc port if you want lower pressure and more travel (like power brakes), or use the rear drum port is you want less travel and more more pressure (manual brakes).

I figure I'll have about $50 in to all the parts, so for that price I think the investment is worth attempting a proof-of-concept. I live in the cold and snow, so this may be a fun winter project.

My question is: can anyone think of a reason why this would not work?

I contacted the manfuacturer of the hydraulic potentiometer, and they will literally build a custom potentiometer to ANY specifications needed (resistance, PSI, etc). The only downside is they run a ball park of $350 each, with a typical minimum run of 5 units...

So, I'd be looking at about $400 total in parts, and if it works like it should, I may be able to sell the other four pressure units to folks wanting to build a set for themselves.

I'm emailing with their sales director to see if I can get one in order to perform a 'proof of concept'. Hopefully this can pan out!

Otherwise, I did find a couple companies in China that offer pressure switches as well, but I'm a little hesitant to order lindly from a random website. Also, their pressure switches don't hold up to the same high pressure as the company I found, but I suppose it would be easy enough to put a propostioning valve inline to lower the pressure.

Stay tuned...