Field of View
2 2

2 posts in this topic

Been thinking about this for a while.  And here is my €2 cts.

I understand that to get an accurate FoV the screen size should be the same in proportion as real world size. So a 2m high vertical post 10m away is approx 120mm high on a screen at 60cm away. A simple drawing can confirm that. Do these FoV calaculators achieve that??

A game should have a "FoV Check". One enters eye distance from screen and game displays a vertical bar on monitor.  The game knows all the details of the monitor from a file held in the monitor.

In this case, representing a 2m post at 10m, the gamer having entered 60cm eye distance, the game would display a vertical bar with the instruction to move a slider until the vertical bar measures 12cm on the screen. Angles, screen size and aspect ratio are then irrelevant.

Of course, on a small screen the FoV might be quite restrictive. 

Don't use vertical mesures because the are not acurate. FOV is about horizontal field of view. What you shoud see, shoud match the reality. It's about the angle of horzontal vision. Of course if you have only one monitor, even a 21:9 like I have you must compromise a little otherwise you won't even see the apexes.

So if you have just one screen don't try real FOV, try a compromise where you still have some width in your vision, but the car still feels right when you dirve it.

So my advise is go as low as possible w/o compromising corner visibility. And get a good spotter addon.