Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DFP New question - should it work with no power??

6 posts in this topic

So i picked up a cheap used DFP when i was out today but didn't check the contents of the box and when i got home i found that the power adapter was missing. Luckily i have found a bough a power supply from ebay.

Anyway i have plugged the wheel into my PC and installed the drivers. Now it shows up but i am unable to do anything with it because in the calibration screen of windows or any game i cannot see any input detected when i turn the wheel or press the pedals. Both led's are on by the way.

Is this normal for this wheel when it has no power plugged into it or should it work with no power except give me no FFB.

Finding a Logitech one could be tricky, being that the DFP is older. The DFGT adapter could be easier to find if it is compatible. Another route would be to find a universal power adapter that is within the voltage specs of your wheel. Radio Shack carries an Enercell Power Adapter that has adjustable voltage and interchangeable plugs to fit a variety of items. I have one of these and it is quite useful.

Found what appears to be a logitech one from ebay so bought that straight away.

Now just wondering if the wheel should work without power plugged into it minus FFB of course? I have it detected on my PC and installed the drivers but no matter what i do with the wheel nothing seems to happen on the calibration screen or in games. Both led's are lit whatever that means??

I don't know if this helps, but I have a Logitech MOMO and i get steering, gas, brake and button functions in game controllers window (no lights on the wheel) with the power adapter not connected. When I plug in the power adapter lights on wheel come on and i get force feedback.

Hmmm, i get everything showing up and both lights are on but somehow nothing i do on the wheel is recognised within the windows controller calibration screen or in games like Rfactor and DiRT 3.

I somehow thought that the wheel should sort of work without the power adapter except for not giving me FFB as i would think the FFB needs the power to function.

Hopefully i get the power adapter soon so that if it doesn't work with that i can still take it back in time to do something about it.

Ok i posted a general comment and picture about my purchase on a gaming forum i am a member of and someone said the following:

The Logitech wheels will not function unless they do have the psu plugged in. It will spin round twice once the game boots :D

So looks like i am good to go once the power adapter i ordered arrives. Got DiRT 3 and F1 waiting for me to use with the wheel with and i am also going to install rFactor along with a few mods.