Desktop Question

22 posts in this topic

First off I am a 64 year old male that has never done any sim racing , my son and his friend want me to start iracing with them and i am looking to buy a desktop so i can do this, it would be nice to buy something that if i wanted to add a triple monitor set up that i could, I have been looking at a few computers but i just don't know what components i need. here are a few that i am looking at. I don't want to pay more then 1000.00. If not these does anyone know of one I should be looking at.

thanks so much

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-xtreme-gaming-desktop-intel-core-i3-9100f-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-580-1tb-hdd-240gb-ssd-white/6371592.p?skuId=6371592&ref=P30T24R154&loc=BODY&CampaignID=1060709&SubscriberID=618458409

https://www.newegg.com/cyberpowerpc-gamer-master-99507/p/N82E16883230519

The second PC (out of stock, unfortunately) has a great foundation with the Ryzen 3600K. The GTX 1660 Super GPU is a mid range graphics card with should be able to run i Racing on triples but with graphics set to medium to low settings.

You might look for a prebuilt with a slightly less poweful Ryzen or Intell CPU with a RTX 2070 Super for best graphics perfornance in this budget range. 

I am a little worried about CyberPower PC build quality and components. Most prebuilts skimp on the motherboard, fans, case, etc. If you have a MicroCenter store nearby, look online to see their PowerSpec offerings.

I am 51 and just built my first PC ever so I can race on 1080p triples. I used a Ryzen 3700K CPU (a tad more powerful than the system you shared) with a GTX 1080 ti bought on Ebay for $410. Total build with some excellent components was a shade under $1500. 

I have some other thoughts and will post again later in the weekend.

Good luck and Godspeed!

5 hours ago, Ruttman98 said:

The second PC (out of stock, unfortunately) has a great foundation with the Ryzen 3600K. The GTX 1660 Super GPU is a mid range graphics card with should be able to run i Racing on triples but with graphics set to medium to low settings.

You might look for a prebuilt with a slightly less poweful Ryzen or Intell CPU with a RTX 2070 Super for best graphics perfornance in this budget range. 

I am a little worried about CyberPower PC build quality and components. Most prebuilts skimp on the motherboard, fans, case, etc. If you have a MicroCenter store nearby, look online to see their PowerSpec offerings.

I am 51 and just built my first PC ever so I can race on 1080p triples. I used a Ryzen 3700K CPU (a tad more powerful than the system you shared) with a GTX 1080 ti bought on Ebay for $410. Total build with some excellent components was a shade under $1500. 

I have some other thoughts and will post again later in the weekend.

Good luck and Godspeed!

Ruttman

Thanks so much for your input

15 minutes ago, stroker ace said:

Ruttman

Thanks so much for your input

Ruttman

I was just thinking if i am going to buy a computer to do this that it would  be able to do 3 monitors if i want to upgrade and i don't know enough to build one so if you know of one or see something that might work please let me know

again thanks so much

Jim

https://www.microcenter.com/product/608933/powerspec-g706-gaming-desktop-computer

Yes, it's 30% over your budget but a great bargain compared to many shoddy $1000 systems. I would have been tempted to buy this 3700X/RTX 2070 Super prebuilt which is $500 off at Micro Center and comes in about $200 less than my build with roughly the same components.

Looking inside this PowerSpec PC, I recognize the Lian Li case instantly because I actually bought one--open box--for $47 for my build until a parts delay caused me to reconsider due to heat and airflow issues. (I ended up with a SilverStone RL-06GW- Pro from Amazon for $130 which had high airflow with the tradeoff of louder fan noise.) 

The PowerSpec Lian Li case is well constructed with a tempered glass side panel rather than an acrylic window on cheaper cases. PowerSpec addressed case airflow and component cooling by the addition of an excellent Cooler Master CPU cooler and two fans visible in the top of the case in addition to four other fans. 

The RTX 2070 Super GPU is from Zotac--another good brand. While less powerful in some regards than my GTX 1080 ti, the 2070 Super is a more efficient card and will run cooler making airflow kess critical. 

16GB of 3200hz RAM is also a good spec.

The PowerSpec SSD is bigger capacity than the Samsung 970 250MB SSD I bought, but I also got a 4TB Seagate Barracuda HDD from Micro Center for $80 to have plenty of storage for programs, cars, and tracks.

Finally, Micro Center have stores across the U.S. (worth even a 2-hour drive IMO if you or one of your sons is close to a location.) If you take out a Micro Center credit card you can save 5% on ALL purchases--even sale and open box items. They also have a variety of inexpensive but decent quality Inland accessories such as keyboards, mice and cables.

I have no affiliation with MC, but I have bought everything from opened X-box Ones and Thrustmaster wheels to monitors and laptops, plus 90% of my PC build components from them. Their employees know their stuff and each location have on-site repairs and tech assistance. They are handling the Covid-19 crisis well--limiting customers in the store (stores I visited in Detroit & Kansas were typically packed!), marking off spaces well, and your orders are ready within 17 minutes.

Edited by Ruttman98
More info!

https://www.microcenter.com/product/617582/powerspec-g705-gaming-computer

An under budget prebuilt with a less powerful but still capable CPU and the AMD Radeon 5700 XT graphics should run triples for iRacing.

However, there have been issues with Radeon AMD graphics card updates causing users issues. I chose to avoid these headaches on my build, and would pick an Nvidia GTX 1660 or 1660 Super over like AMD GPU offerings.

I have one last prebuilt from Micro Center to share . . .

Edited by Ruttman98
Wrong link

I think it fits the bill very well. You will look a long time for a comparable build at this price. Double check also, but I think Micro Center allows returns on open box items for 30 days.

By the way--great handle!

Good luck and be sure to ask for more help over on the Race Department sim racing forums. There are so many helpful and knowledgeable members over there.

Not sure i told you I live in Indiana and my son lives in Las Vegas and we have talked about doing this for a few years and like i said i don't know anything about iracing or computers so this should  interesting and i am looking forward to it. Thanks again for all your help, so out of the 3 computers at Micro Center what one do you think, they are all close to the same price

https://www.microcenter.com/product/621994/powerspec-g357-gaming-computer

https://www.microcenter.com/product/617582/powerspec-g705-gaming-computer

https://www.microcenter.com/product/608933/powerspec-g706-gaming-desktop-computer

The first two have less powerful graphics cards aka "graphics processing units" or GPUs. The RTX 2070 Super is much better than either the RTX 2060 or the AMD Radeon 5700X. 

The third Ryzen 3700X/RTX 2070 Super combination or the Intel/RTX 2070 Super open box PCs are your best bets. The Intel has some pluses because many sim games rely on only one of the CPU's processing cores rather than take advantage of the greater number of processing cores in the Ryzen 3700X.

I will look it all over closer in the AM.

When I started sim racing in 2011 on Xbox One the plan was for my brothers in AZ and MI to race each other but it didn't happen. Glad you are able to do this with your son. It's difficult to be spread across the country normally, and it's even tougher now with COVID-19. I am only 2 hours from my dad in Iowa, but don't want to risk him getting sick.

Be well and God bless you and your family,

Chris

The Newegg Asus ROG Strix system will struggle to run triple monitors at high and possibly mid -level graphics settings because of the less powerful GTX 1660 GPU. The Intel i5 CPU is also a less powerful processor.

Nice price, but I think it would be better to pay a little more up front to have a computer that will last you 5 years or possibly a decade. How many hobbies are there for which one of the main material investments is $200-250/year for five years?

When I get back from my vacation later next week, let me look for something new for you from another online source.

The CyberPower PCs are cheap because they are built cheap. Also, Northbrook, IL, is a Chicago suburb--not sure where you are in the Hoosier State. Either way, it's either a drive in horrible ChiTown traffic or cost % risking damage shipping a PC and a monitor.

I am very leery of buying on Facebook marketplace. In my opinion, a used PC is a big roll of the dice. There are two Micro Center stores in Illinois in the Chicago area. I would strongly advise you to buy new--you will have a warranty. Check their website, but I believe Micro Center has a 30-day return policy as well.

That said, three years ago I actually drove from KC to Chicago via Indy* to pick up (3) 24-in. triple monitors and a SimLabs triple monitor stand from a guy who posted in these classifieds. I believe I gave him a $50 deposit on PayPal and paid him the rest in cash. MOST of the people who post on isrrv.com are great individuals, so I felt confident with my purchase. I use the monitors and stand for my daily work and can't wait to see how they work with Automobilsta, F12018, and Asetto Corsa.

Years ago when I lived in Detroit I bought some like new Fanatec equipment from a guy on Craigslist. We met at his son's little league game in Cleveland.

*I detoured through Indianapolis for the induction of my cousin, Troy Ruttman, into the USAC Hall of Fame at IMS.

Edited by Ruttman98
Typp

Did you get a PC yet? If not I have one close to what you want to spend which runs 3-screens right now at 1920 x 1080. Custom built by Digital Storm for i-Racing $3,000 new - will sell for $1,500. with brand new 1TB Solid State Drive or $1,000 with twin 120GB SSD's. If you're interested I'll send you detailed specs.