D-Box Theater Seat Conversion

3 posts in this topic

I'm looking at buying a 3 actuator 3250i system from a theater seat... before I get in over my head, has anyone else converted these to a non-captive setup for use with floor cups?  Any advice on the price/difficulty of doing this would be appreciated.

Also, anyone have first hand experience with 3 vs 4 actuator setups?

D-Box.jpg

I would recommend you contact Dbox directly and see if they will give advice.  I'm pretty sure you need the KAI part, which is small but pricey.  I'm no expert but the use for movies is different software/hardware than compared to racing games.  I bought a set of 4 actuators from Dbox like 4-5 years ago, so that is my experience.  Also, member Mayaman seems to be the expert if you can DM him perhaps.  I saw he is selling a set now, i think 4250i. 

If you can get the 3 to work, and pick up the KAI conversion part, I have heard using 3 vs 4 actuators is not a huge loss.  my 2 cents

Converting the captive screws to non-captive screws is easy, you will simply need to remove the thread-locked allen bolt in the top part of the actuator and install the non-captive units. Getting the parts is the hard part, we have several left over units but not enough for a set and probably not enough to worth shipping/supporting the process. Secondly you will need an additional ACM (one ACM per 2 actuators), reprogramming of each ACM and the Kai-1P which is a like USB 2.0 to ethernet cable converter.

Problem is also that its harder to find Gen1 parts and I don't even think D-BOX carriers them anymore. Would need to call a local supplier and find out.

Edited by Petrosin