Help me build my rig......

13 posts in this topic

Hello there,

This is Nick from Athens, Greece, I am an ex-Boeing 737 full cockpit builder, so I have an experience in cockpit building, but I am zero in sim racing. I would like to build a medium to high end racing cockpit the best way possible, so I would need your help, which will be highly appreciated.

My budget is around 7K euro, and I already have a high end desktop PC, a TH2GO, 3 Benq 27" monitors and a Hitatchi ultimate short throw projector, bits and pieces are also available, like, headsets, tools, etc..... Space is no issue for me, so yeap I am all hears!!!!

Please have in mind that I have no experience what so ever in sim racing, even though I am driving a BMW M car as a daily, so my culture is kinda racing (hope this makes sense)....

Just to give you an idea, my initial two rig setups I had in my mind were:

1. Medium budget racing rig

Visuals: I will test both triple Benq or single projector, and choose what works for me best.

Chassis: Sim Lab P1-X sim racing chassis - Wheeldeck, Black, plus accessories

Motor wheel: Fanatec Podium DD2

Steering Wheel: Fanatec Podium Steering Wheel Porsche 911 GT3 R Suede

Pedals: Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V3

Shifter: Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ V 1.5

Handbrake: Fanatec ClubSport Handbrake V1.5

Other: Logitech Surround Sound Speaker System Z906, Earthquake Shell ShoXX Gamer set 320W, DSD Track Boss button box

2. High end racing rig

Visuals: I will test both triple Benq or single projector, and choose what works for me best.

Motor wheel: SIMUCUBE 2 Ultimate

Steering Wheel: Ascher SRB GT3 Wheel

Pedals: Heusinkveld Sim Pedals Sprint

Shifter: Heusinkveld Sim Shifter Sequential

Handbrake: Heusinkveld Sim Handbrake

Other: Logitech Surround Sound Speaker System Z906, Earthquake Shell ShoXX Gamer set 320W, DSD Track Boss button box

Thank you in advance, I really appreciate it......

Nick

yes, with your budget, I would hope you could incorporate motion.  Even if it means going a little cheaper on the wheel or other items.  I know know the exact cost of that system in the video, but I was thinking 3-4 thousand USD.  Another alternative is to incorporate the accuforce gs-5 seat. 

Also, Nick, have you tried VR yet?  Another game changer when it comes to immersion, although it can get tiresome after a while I admit. I go back and forth between VR and triple screens.

Hello ejw333,

Yeap, motion will be the next step I am sure, but let’s put motion aside for now.... I would appreciate if you or any fine gentleman out there could comment-advise about the rigs setups I have in my mind.....

I mean, is it worth the extra 2.5K to upgrade to a Simucube 2 ultimate / Heusinkvelt setup, or a Fanatec setup will be enough? Will I need to upgrade anyways in a while? If that is the case, I would prefer to invest now....

Thanks

Hello Ruttman,

I didn’t receive any PM 😊

Yes, this is why I am undecided.... Fanatec seems to be a nice way to go, the right way I would say, BUT since I know that eventually we all need to upgrade somehow, I am wondering if upgrading from start would save me more in the long....

I wrote in greater detail, but here's a synopsis;

You are fortunate there are several good direct drive options on the market; it just depends on how much work you want to put in to get them running. Fanatec Podium series is pretty much plug and play.

Others have recommended leaving your options open for motion. If you are a DIY guy, look up the open source SFX-100 motion system. Very affordable and many builders can offer advice. Biggest investment in addition to the actuators and aluminum profiles is a 3D printer to create components or paying to have them printed.

Also, look into tactile which goes a long way to increasing the pleasure of the sim racing experience. Search online for the extensive Tactile Immersion thread on this by RaceDepartment contributor Mr. Latte and others.

Good luck with your search,

Chris

Hello to all,

Just for your info, the Sim Lab P1X has already been ordered, together with the Logitech Z906 for the sound setup, so please take as given the following gear:

Sound: Logitech Surround Sound Speaker System Z906

I would appreciate your opinion to choose one of the following scenarios, of course any other option will be taken serious under consideration:

1. Medium budget racing rig

Motor wheel: Fanatec Podium DD2

Steering Wheel: Fanatec Podium Steering Wheel Porsche 911 GT3 R Suede

Pedals: Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V3

2. High end racing rig 

Motor wheel: SIMUCUBE 2 Ultimate

Steering Wheel: Ascher SRB GT3 Wheel

Pedals: Heusinkveld Sim Pedals Sprint

Shifter: Heusinkveld Sim Shifter Sequential

Handbrake: Heusinkveld Sim Handbrake

Thank you in advance, I really appreciate it...... please be so kind to comment.

Hello to all,

I finally decided to go to the Fanatec road, so I placed the order, thanks to all for your help.

My setup now is as follows:

Sound: Logitech Surround Sound Speaker System Z906

Motor wheel: Fanatec Podium DD2

Steering Wheel: Fanatec Podium Steering Wheel Porsche 911 GT3 R Suede, ClubSport Steering Wheel Formula V2

Pedals: Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V3 with V3 Damper Kit and V3 Brake Performance Kit

Best regards