New PC

8 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, JSF7 said:

Hello, I am new to sim racing so sorry if this is the millionth "will this work thread"! I want to run triple 1440p 144hz monitors for iracing and currently building a new computer for it. Will this machine work for the triples? What kind of fps could I expect? Concerned about the GPU.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/JFields7/saved/XPTn7P

Your parts list is private.

Yea I don't think a 2060 will handle 3 1440p monitors, especially with 144hz refresh.  I have one gtx 1080 and a single 1440p 144hz gsync monitor and most of the time it's in the 100-120 fps/hz range.

The rest of the parts look fine.

Edited by Skyway

I have this setup.  I am running on 2080 sli with 3 gsync 144hz monitors.  One 2080 is enough to play any racing games out there. It is fast at most times but you may experience just a bit of FPS drops on some games like Dirt Rally 2, specially when you are running through crowds. But, there are ways to get it to work properly like turning crowd off and other graphic components that you don't really need. 

The MSI Trio has 3 DP ports and should be able to plug in 3 monitors, but verify with the manufacturer of the video card if this is going to work, as I read on some comments that this setting does not work on some video cards.

You also need to know that you cannot use the full 144hz on each monitor while setting it on surround in the nvidia control panel, the refresh rate drops down to 120hz for each monitor. You are not gonna be able to get it to work above 120hz because nvidia was not able to solve this issue, so you are stuck on 120hz which is still very good.  Don't worry, you are not going to notice the difference while you are playing.

The FPS will depend on your monitor and the game you play.  If your monitor is not gsync, you will see high frame rates but graphics may not be that smooth, If you have a gsync monitor, FPS drops but graphics is very smooth and average FPS is still in the above 60FPS which is still superb.

You can also do a GTX 1080 Ti SLI setup ,no ray tracing but very smooth and will work better than one 2080 and it will fit your motherboard. If you want to do the RTX SLI much better, but they are too big to fit two on the motherboard and the only way to make them work properly is to change the fans to waterblock and make them liquid cooling.  I have both GTX 1080 SLI and GTX 1080 SLI on my other computers that is why I know how they work.

I really do not want to suggest, but for me, the best of all these setup for the games I play is the GTX 1080 TI on SLI on triple monitor.  It felt smoother than my RTX's and never experienced any issue.

I hope this helps.

Great, thanks so much for this information, I ended up buying the MSI 2080 Trio already and do have GSync monitors so sounds like I can expect decent enough performance.  Cheers!