PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I am not at all computer savvy - and not about to start at 58. that said, I am a pretty keen sim racer for 30 yrs. I bought a new TM TX Ferrari 458 Italia wheel and pedal combo and its been great on my only 2 games I really play anymore through Steam, ProjectCars2 and Dirt Rally 2.0. I love Dirt Rally through Steam even better but ever since I got this wheel the game will not recognize it (which might also be solved below)

So, anyway, I was happily playing these sims and got busy and didn't play for, like, 2 weeks.  I came back to PC2 and started career up again  and the car was uncontrollable! It felt - and subsequently turned out to be the case - that the car was driving itself! Which is what happens when I let go.  I made NO CHANGES to the computer, USB port, anything. Seemingly random, fairly extreme, wheel turning nonstop. It has been like this for 2 moths. It happens on PC2 and Dirt Rally 2.0. I went back and forth for weeks with TM support, showed them the attached vid, etc. they swear it has nothing to do with their wheel even though its in 2 completely different games. They say it's all Steam. But there is now way to contact Steam support about a non-Steam wheel freaking out!!! So I am stuck with a wheel that is now a paperweight and cannot play any racing sims. 

I have uninstalled and re-installed the wheel 2x, even getting it out of the registry and starting over. No effect. I would love someone to even walk me through it on-the-phone to find out what is WRONG!!!!

Thanks so much in advance. 

It has nothing to do with Steam. That's just a bizarre notion from Thrustmaster support. Thrustmaster wheels are used by 1000's of sim racers with Steam games, so that's just rubbish. Also the fact the same problem happens in both games then it's not the games either. 

The things I would try is to plug the wheel into a different USB port. If you're plugged into a USB 3.0 port (blue one), plug the wheel into a USB 2.0 port (white one). Also, try the wheel on a different PC.

If the same problem occurs after trying both these tests then it's the hardware at fault.

Ha ha AWESOME and frustrating! Switched USB port and worked fine in PC2 and in DR2.0! Thank -you so much, you wont believe it but TM support NEVER suggested that.

So, now...Dirt rally in Steam does not recognize my wheel for that game at all. No Option to dive with a wheel. Any ideas?

Cheers

John

You should be able to bind left/right steering movement to the wheel in the DR game control settings. So select left, then turn the wheel left and DR will pick up the wheel. Then the same for right.

Yes, add it like custom controller, dont look in every game the profile to be present...sometimes just map axis for the wheel and pedals, but will work fine!;)

On 5/29/2019 at 2:28 AM, Jeremy.Ford said:

You should be able to bind left/right steering movement to the wheel in the DR game control settings. So select left, then turn the wheel left and DR will pick up the wheel. Then the same for right.

No idea what you mean. I tried just turning the wheel, etc to assign controls and it did nothing - just reverted to keyboard. It used the see I had a wheel. Hasn't in months.

On 5/29/2019 at 3:17 AM, Krassi said:

Yes, add it like custom controller, dont look in every game the profile to be present...sometimes just map axis for the wheel and pedals, but will work fine!;)

I dunno how to set a custom controller nor do I know what exactly "map axis" means. It used to recognize the wheel and it worked fine. Then it just disappeared and has never come back. Works in DR2. I way prefer DR though as I can just download setups - I hate setting things up myself. I race motorcycles in real life but never touch the settings nor do I turn a wrench on it - that's what expert mechanics are for. I just want to race.

4 hours ago, JKF011 said:

I dunno how to set a custom controller nor do I know what exactly "map axis" means. It used to recognize the wheel and it worked fine. Then it just disappeared and has never come back. Works in DR2. I way prefer DR though as I can just download setups - I hate setting things up myself. I race motorcycles in real life but never touch the settings nor do I turn a wrench on it - that's what expert mechanics are for. I just want to race.

As you want only to race - you need a mechanic in the Simracing then!:)It is a complex hobby and sometimes you need to learn and do things...btw if you strugle to do settings etc - you can go to consoles, there is made plug and play!:)

20 hours ago, Jeremy.Ford said:

I can't explain it any more simply I'm afraid. Select left steering from the settings, and turn your wheel left for the game to pick up the wheel. Repeat for right turn.

Yes I tried that and nothing happened. It defaulted back to keyboard. I thought there might be some other step I was missing. Cheers. 

20 hours ago, Krassi said:

As you want only to race - you need a mechanic in the Simracing then!:)It is a complex hobby and sometimes you need to learn and do things...btw if you strugle to do settings etc - you can go to consoles, there is made plug and play!:)

Well, I've been fine doing this for 25 years so why do anything different now? :) It has always baffled me how you guys have all this time pon your hands to do setups, customize all the PC gear, etc. 

4 hours ago, JKF011 said:

Well, I've been fine doing this for 25 years so why do anything different now? :) It has always baffled me how you guys have all this time pon your hands to do setups, customize all the PC gear, etc. 

If you cant manage to setup your games and gear - the only options are to do topics PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP:), to give up or to have a mechanic as I said;)

You gotta learn how the things operate and need to be set up, because even now the problem can be solved next time you will write topics again... this dosnt work in long term;)

Well all right I don't have the time or the interest for all that. If we all become experts at this shit what's the poiunt of becoming an expert if you cant help someone else? 

for the record I do know everything about how motorcycle works - wouldn't be an advanced rider of I didn't - but I don't care the spend my precious time changing oil or motors and I hate mneial labor and "figuring things out" when I can hire an expert to do this (or get iot for free on the net). Further, I get bored doing mechanical stuff then I don't trust the work and fucking up the work can get me killed - so again - hire an expert. 

Shame I couldn't get more help here - thanks for the PC2 help though - believe me, I can live without DR. I won't play DR2 till there's setups to download.