Winning vs. Immersion
1 1

3 posts in this topic

I raced real sports cars for over 30 years, both on the amature and professional level. I was reasonably successful. Winning was the most important thing to me. I acknowledge that my fixation on winning definitely limited my ability to enjoy and benefit from many other aspects of racing. I'm now interested in SIM racing. I am not at all interested in the immersive aspect, however. What equipment should i buy that will give me the best chance of winning without having to pay extra for the immersion factor? I realize that this is an unusual request given the name "SIM racing" and the direction that most participants take. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Edited by Mr. Porsche
Spelling correction

I personally don't believe that winning has to do with what hardware you are using. Just because you spend a fortune on equipment, does not mean you are more likely to win. It is fact that iracing champions have used wheels that were from the 90s or 2000s. Back when FFB effects were fairly new. Really, the direction you take is either for fun or more serious. Look at what's available in your budget. If you have an unlimited budget, then I would look at mid-range wheels like the TS-PC and the CSW V2.5 to get started with. Those would be more than capable and would allow growth in your new hobby. 

21 hours ago, Mr. Porsche said:

What equipment should i buy that will give me the best chance of winning without having to pay extra for the immersion factor?

You wouldn't need expensive hardware.  

- A reliable wheel and a pedal with a load cell brake (e.g Logitech wheel with modded pedals to include a load cell).
- Sturdy desk or wheel stand and ability to fix the wheel and pedals to something so both do not move when used.
- Single small monitor with good Adaptive Refresh Rate capabilities (eg G-Sync or G-Sync Compatible).  The latter is important in case your PC gets bogged down and frame rates drop, the gameplay is still smooth with low lag.
- Medium spec PC, because you can turn down the fancy graphical settings and still run high frame rates