Removing some details (F1 Wheel Add On)
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hi all, I am new around here :)

was wondering if the text at the top panel of the F1 wheel add on could be removed without causing any aesthetical damage to the wheel. If so, what method/s would you recommend me?

It feels like it is engraved, but not deep enough to the point that it should be unremovable. So far I have thought about using sandpaper or applying some alcohol/acid on it to remove it, but I am pretty sure these would damage the metal. I also thought about just removing the panel and substituting it with another one, but given that you cannot obtain the ungraved metal panel (w/o text) it means I would have to make a custom one (and I dont have the means to do that)

FWIW I am interested in having the wheel as a decoration item.

Cheers and thanks in advance!

2CD8784E-8896-439E-8651-1DA0707790CF.thumb.jpeg.84f8dea7968a5b41b23f19002abd6568.jpeg

13 hours ago, F1xSpectre said:

Hi all, I am new around here :)

was wondering if the text at the top panel of the F1 wheel add on could be removed without causing any aesthetical damage to the wheel. If so, what method/s would you recommend me?

It feels like it is engraved, but not deep enough to the point that it should be unremovable. So far I have thought about using sandpaper or applying some alcohol/acid on it to remove it, but I am pretty sure these would damage the metal. I also thought about just removing the panel and substituting it with another one, but given that you cannot obtain the ungraved metal panel (w/o text) it means I would have to make a custom one (and I dont have the means to do that)

FWIW I am interested in having the wheel as a decoration item.

Cheers and thanks in advance!

2CD8784E-8896-439E-8651-1DA0707790CF.thumb.jpeg.84f8dea7968a5b41b23f19002abd6568.jpeg

Hello,

you need to remove the 2 screws and the metal piece is grueld to the plastic. So, very carefull you can remove it. If you dont like the result and how looks - you can always put the the 2 screws back to hold the metal piece on place.

Hi Krassi,

I get how you can remove the piece of metal, but what I want is to get rid of the text on it (“thrustmaster”, “ready”, etc) so it leaves the metal plain (but still attached to the rim) but with no major aesthetical damage (smooth surface, as it is).

13 hours ago, F1xSpectre said:

Hi Krassi,

I get how you can remove the piece of metal, but what I want is to get rid of the text on it (“thrustmaster”, “ready”, etc) so it leaves the metal plain (but still attached to the rim) but with no major aesthetical damage (smooth surface, as it is).

I see, then the best way will be to do it more proffesional...it is DIY still but not partial to seek way to remove white letter, but entirely clean the surface and spray it back black... You can use spray can from any hardware shop...need to clear the metal after that remove grease - you can use nail acetone from your wife and after that spray it....

If you remove somehow letter only - I think you will see smole signs that something was there and will looks bad...

Another thing you can do is to find high res picture of the real F1 rim.... to cut the screen mathich the metal place and to print it and glue it on this place - it will look more realistic to real rim than if it is only black...

Hi Krassi,

Thanks for the suggestions! I actually want it to be a plain black piece (ideally out of metal, but don’t mind if it is just plastic), as I intend on taking the wheel to COTA and want it to get signed there (since the other signing spot isn’t very visible). As you said it can get a bit complicated to get the text removed... I think that as of now, my best option is to print this same piece (but with plastic), since we have a 3D printer in our school and it should not be too complicated.

ps dont have a wife 😢😂

Edited by F1xSpectre