Advice for noob looking at 1st sim rig
2 2

43 posts in this topic

G'day all,

I'm completely new at all this - including forums 😬

I'm looking at getting my first sim rig and wanted to check the "brains trust" to see if: a) this would be a good rig and, b) anything I should know re: maintenance or looking for wear, etc.

Setup comprises:

- Next Level Racing GTultimate V2 Simulator Cockpit

- ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5

- ClubSport Steering Wheel GT

- ClubSport Steering Wheel Universal Hub for Xbox One

- Derek Speare Design CSW Toggle and Switch hub

- ClubSport Pedals V3 inverted

- Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter

- Behringer NU3000DSP iNuke 2 Channel Power Amplifier with DSP

- Buttkicker Gamer 2 (Aus Version)

- 2 x Buttkicker LFE's

- 2 x Soundcards for Simvibe

Thanks guys - from Melbourne, Australia 👍

I'd avoid the Next Level Racing GT Ultimate V2 Simulator Cockpit. It has too much flex in the wheel mounting area and pedal deck. This will be very noticeable with Fantec CSW and pedals mounted, it's distracting and feels flimsy when it's flexing around. It's not a good feeling when it's moving around in use. The seat is pretty cheap too. It's looks fine in the pictures, but it's cheaply made and flexes too.

I owned this setup in the past and replaced the rig with an 8020 aluminum profile cockpit which is far better and completely solid.

Other than the cockpit, everything else is good stuff.

32 minutes ago, Beef36 said:

JB Hi Fi have the Next Level Racing GT Track for AUD 1,099.

Selby Acoustics have the above Next Level GT Ultimate simulator in their Hallam showroom.  Price: AUD 809

Trak Racer have an RS6 MACH 2 Racing Simulator for AUD 849 in their Lygon Street Brunswick East showroom.  Trak Racer also have a demonstrator 80/20 rig that looks fabulous for around AUD 1,200.

If you're unsure I'd suggest visiting both showrooms, but if you want to save time, then the Trak Racer RS6 is a substantially better cockpit than the GT Ultimate, and probably as good if not equal to the GT Track.  It's robust and looks good.  The downside is their standard seat is a little tight.

JB Hi Fi and Selby Acoustics are just resellers and the sales teams are not very knowledgeable on this niche market.  Conversely Trak Racer is a Melbourne based dedicated sim chassis manufacturer.  Their staff really know their stuff and are very friendly and helpful.  If you can find a several hundred extra dollars, Trak Racer's 80/20 rig (plus a seat) walks all over every other rig I've listed above.

For your other components, SimDrive is based in Williams Landing if you want to consider a Melbourne based reseller of higher end kit (Augury Direct Drive, adjustable F1/GT 80/20 chassis, high end wheels, Heusinkveld kit etc).  They only sell high-end kit, not mid range kit like Fanatec, so their prices are substantially higher.

Other Melbourne based sim chassis manufacturers include:
- Hyper Stimulator in Lilydale; and
- SimWorx in Bayswater

Good luck!!!

Maaaaaate - thanks so much for the info!  I will check out Trak Racer this week. Thanks for taking the time to respond 👍.

Good advice from others here. The good thing about buying second hand is you 'can' get good bang for your buck if you know what you are looking at. I would also probably start with an 80/20 rig as suggested due to its versatility and strength but it really depends on your budget and how serious you are going to get into sim racing. You can spend a ridiculous amount of money on this hobby and generally the more you spend the better the immersion and and the closer you get to replicating the real thing.

Not based in Melbourne but also check out Hybrid Racing Simulations as they sell 80/20 rigs too. They only have a half finished website so they pretty much deal through their Facebook page but the have a very good reputation. They manufacture high end stuff so it might not be what you are chasing but if you are going down the 80/20 path then I would still get a price.  

You could save a lot of $ if u build your own at of wood and can make it stronger than that metal crap in that video 80/20 is  the best but u pay4 it skip the fancy rig and spent money on Osw. I jumped right in to this hobby never owned a plastic wheel.and never looked back.

Thanks for all your advice guys.  I'v settled on a rig and set up: RS6 Mach 2 (thanks Beef36), with a Fanatec CS v2.5 wheel base and hub etc., Fanatec V3 pedals, shifter and handbrake.  Coupling this with a half decent PC and triple screens (so my son tells me) should see me starting out in sim racing and having a bit of fun. I'm thinking that this could be an expensive hobby 😜.  

6 minutes ago, fil140 said:

Also check out Jeremy fords SIM Racing Corner on YouTube for some good advice, let's support our boy cos he's too modest to mention it himself and he's a much better presenter than will marsh!

All over it mate - although it's pretty daunting with all the info.  That said, he presents very well. 👍

Just now, fil140 said:

And you would be right, but solo worth it, are you signed up to iracing yet?

Not yet - going to order all my kit next week, so in the next few weeks I reckon.  A bit nervous, but I have wanted to do this for years.  I just retired (young due to cancer) so I have a bit of time to practice 😁

Then if you like it you can upgrade, but you have to start with small sessions for the first week and build up your VR stomach and head, after you get to grips and ignore the drop in resolution there's no going back

1 minute ago, fil140 said:

Mate, have you considered for, it's so much more immersive, puts you in the car. You can pick up a cheap used Oculus dk2 for pennies on eBay

Mmmmmm, VR - yep, I will consider it, but my son says to wait for the Valve VR.  Anyway, I thought triples would be good to start and then play around with VR in time.

1 minute ago, fil140 said:

Then if you like it you can upgrade, but you have to start with small sessions for the first week and build up your VR stomach and head, after you get to grips and ignore the drop in resolution there's no going back

I've heard that 👍

Shit, sorry to hear that but this is a great hobby and time passed, I'm in a similar position due to a back injury, you can add me on iracing, Phil George. I'll give you some pointers, also, do you have discord? That's a must!

Just now, fil140 said:

Shit, sorry to hear that but this is a great hobby and time passed, I'm in a similar position due to a back injury, you can add me on iracing, Phil George. I'll give you some pointers, also, do you have discord? That's a must!

All good - Chemo done last year and all clear 👍. I will add you when I get on board - all very new to me as a Mac user 😬. Discord 🤔 - that's what my son uses.  Are is going to give me a crash course in 21st century communication techniques. 🤪

Sounds like it's gonna suit you but it all depends on what you want, if you want real competition with rules and a governing body then you have to go iracing, we have real world racers on the service like, Rubens Barricello, Frank biela, dale earnhardt Jr, Landon Norris, max verstappen, and a hole bunch of Aussie V8 drivers

Just now, fil140 said:

Sounds like it's gonna suit you but it all depends on what you want, if you want real competition with rules and a governing body then you have to go iracing, we have real world racers on the service like, Rubens Barricello, Frank biela, dale earnhardt Jr, Landon Norris, max verstappen, and a hole bunch of Aussie V8 drivers

Ive just jumped on to the website - crikey, this is serious!