Looking to go VR questions
2 2

6 posts in this topic

So going to give VR a shot from my triples. Looking at buying the Rift. Also looking to upgrade my GTX980 card to the 1080ti card. Here are my computer specs ans since it is a few years old, any other concerns, thoughts, ideas or advice? Thank you

intel i5 4690k

16mb mem

evga 650 watt gold psu

corsair h60 cooler

120 gb ssd

GTX980

2 WD 1TB HDs 

windows 10

Assume everyone uses the rift earphones? Thanks again

Short answer, you should be okay (though I recommend getting the USB card--link below)

Long answer...
For about a year, I ran my Rift on an i5, Windows 7 system with a GTX 970 and 8GB RAM. The performance was good, but at high to ultra graphic quality settings, I could only get about 45 FPS. At 45 FPS, the RIFT uses "Asynchronous SpaceWarp," where (I think) it alternates frames between the eyes. I think The experience is still very good and immersive, but you will notice a "flickering" in your peripheral vision, especially when passing fences, walls, and trees. It's not terrible or anything, but it's there. That being said, It's still a good solution for "less powerful" PCs.

HOWEVER,

When I decided to upgrade my graphics card to a GTX 1080 Ti, I read that the i5 could be an issue, so I built a new i7, Windows 10 system. With this system, I can maintain 90FPS, so both eyes are getting a "smooth" image. As a result, there is no flicker in the periphery.

It's like comparing 60hz and 144hz monitors--you may not "notice" the difference at first when you go from 60-144, but once you use 144hz for a while, you DEFINITELY notice the difference when you go back to a 60hz monitor. You can spot it from a mile away. If my Rift drops to 45 FPS for some reason (poorly-optimized game, etc.) I definitely notice it now, after running at 90 FPS most of the time for several months.

With your i5 and the 1080 Ti upgrade, barring any unexpected issues, it will definitely work well, and you might even get 90 FPS. or if not, it will still be a very good experience until you decide to upgrade the PC. And considering my experience with an i5 and GTX 970, even your current 980 should give you adequate performance.

Headphones: The Rift's headphones are actually quite good. Adequate range, even in the low end, for "built-in" headphones. The microphone is okay--it does the job for online play, but I wouldn't recommend it if you want to do any game capture or streaming with voice over.

Overall, buying the Rift was one of the best decisions I've made. I bought it just after the big price drop, and I have definitely got my money's worth out of it. Even though I have an incredible ultra-wide 144hz monitor, the experience in the Rift is 10x+ better. I won't even consider purchasing race-sims that don't plan on supporting VR, like any future Codemaster's F1 titles (I loved them before I had my Rift) and Dirt 2 (the "first" Dirt supports it, but apparently it won't be supported in 2.0).

Oh, and be careful if you decide to try out the new Battle Zone. If you can figure out how to manage your tank's upgrades and begin surviving more and more of the "zones," you'll get to the point to where you pull off your Rift after a session, and discover six or seven hours have passed.

Oculus Compatibility Check Tool...
https://support.oculus.com/1357437467617798/

Asynchronous Space Warp...
https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/pcsdk/latest/concepts/asynchronous-spacewarp/

Recommended USB card for the Rift...
https://www.inateck.com/inateck-ktu3fr-4p-usb-3-0-pci-express-karte-mit-4-usb-3-0-ports.html

Edited by ApexVGear

Let me start off with VR resolution. It is far from matching single or triple screen setup resolution . If you can accept that once you go to VR you will never (at least for me ) go back to single or triple screen for sim racing. What VR lacks in resolution ,VR is leaps ahead in imerision . Think of VR like this . You grab a racing helmet you sit in your car place the helmet on your head and what you see thru your helmet is pretty much what you'll see once you place a VR headset over your head and in front of your eyes. It is simply(in my opinion) the best experience for sim racing or flight sims.I also use an Oculus Rift and I haven't gone back to my 3x4K 43" monitors.... well only for sims that don't support VR. You will fall in love with VR.

@soups It's refreshing to see a triple-screen user state that they love VR. Triples are great. I've sat in $60K+ rigs with triples and one or two extra monitors... but sorry to say, those setups just don't compare to VR. After really using VR, using a monitor, even triples, is like racing with my helmet locked in place, restricting me from moving my head and looking around, especially into, and beyond turns.

So many times I've seen posts where someone goes on and on about how VR doesn't compare to triple screens, or, for example, they can't understand how I state that I see no reason to buy F1 2018, even though I really enjoyed the previous versions, because it doesn't support VR. I know I'd spend about 20 minutes trying it out on my nice monitor... then return to one of my VR-supported sims, and never launch it again.

They say I'm "missing out" on F1 2018 (and other titles without VR support) because "I want to believe VR is better after I spent all that money on it." Then they start talking about their triples (which cost them more than what I paid for my headset), the "low resolution" of current VR headsets, and how "I wouldn't want to look like another idiot with that thing on my head." I respond by asking... "So how long did you try out VR? Did you use it on a good PC? Did you adjust how it fit on your head for an optimal experience? Do you sit in front of a window while sim-racing so passers-by can see you?" I either don't get any responses to my questions, or they state, again, how triples are so much better, and "that's that."

I usually end the conversation, stating that any time I see this argument, it's obvious to me that they have never even tried VR, or at least not for long, and they refuse to give it a chance for fear that they would realize that their large investment in triple monitors and graphics cards(s), has suddenly lost it's value because they will WANT to use VR.

...and just think how awesome the next generation of VR headsets will be in another year or two, and the even-more-improved experience they will deliver.

Edited by ApexVGear

BTW, I just saw that Codemasters has stated that they WILL add VR support to Dirt 2.0. Someone set up an online petition, and at this time, it's reaching almost 6,000 signatures. Apparently Codemaster's got the message.

Hi James,

The GTX 1080ti is a good choice for VR. Your processor will hold back the full potential of the GPU. And this will be noticed in the sim titles that are CPU intensive for example Assetto Corsa when racing with other cars. I had i5 4670 (which I ran for years), then added a 1080ti, then upgraded the CPU to a I7 4770k. The I7 really improved VR performance for me. I mentioned Assetto Corsa as that is the game I had the most vivid memories of where I easily see the improvements in smoother performance in certain situations on track. Projects Cars 2 was also improved.

The thing is though, it wasn't terrible with i5 4670 (and you have faster I5 than what I was running which is an advantage) and everything was perfectly acceptable, but there is definitely a before and after difference. And I upgraded the CPU intentionally in hoping to improve my VR performance and overall gaming FPS and get the most out of the GTX 1080ti and it did.

It's something to bear mind with your system, it will be decent but you will be CPU bound which will restrict the GTX 1080ti to some level.

Hope that helps. 

Edited by Jeremy.Ford