Wiring a brake light
2 2

4 posts in this topic

I wired one up years ago on a Next Level rig with Logitech pedals. It's pretty cheap and easy to do and I found it really useful for teaching people because I could easily tell when they were on or off the brake. One thing I would say though is that if you are going to use it in a darkened room then consider how much light it will put out. If it is too bright, it will light up the entire room and it can be a bit distracting when driving, so personally I would just use a small 12 volt automotive universal brake light. If still too bright you could just fit a cheap LED dimmer.

I just used a microswitch and a 12 volt DC power supply big enough to run the brake light. From memory, I made a small aluminium bracket to mount the microswitch and fitted it behind the brake so it made contact with the lower part (for minimal travel) of the brake arm (inside the Logitech pedal enclosure). I just bent the arm of the microswitch so that the brake light activation was synchronized with the game and it all worked perfectly. The type of pedals you have will probably determine what type of switch to use but a long blade type microswitch is pretty versatile. You just have to pick up a moving part of the brake assembly that doesn't have too much travel for the microswitch arm/blade. I still have plans on doing it to my current rig but just haven't got to it yet.

Great insight Bushchook, thanks!  

My room is dark, as I use triple projectors, so I didn't even consider the light output causing light pollution.  Hmmm.  My main reason for wanting it was for teaching training as you mentioned (I have no idea why my friends are so bad! lol).  

Is it something that needs to be physically mounted up to the brake to complete a circuit though?  I have HPP PRX-SE pedals, but I don't really want to mess with them in any way.  I was thinking there has to be a way to plug into pedal assembly boards or some sort of usb output to help - similar to the way the DIY wind sims are using outputs of in game speed to drive their fans.

The good thing about the high end pedal sets is that the brake arm doesn't move that much. You just need the brake arm to activate the microswitch so I would probably make up an aluminium bracket that bolts to the top of the brake reservoir directly behind the brake arm. I would attach the microswitch (with a roller arm) to the bracket so that it rolls up the lower part of the pedal arm. Something like this probably:

askhf3a040c-microswitch-spdt-with-roller-lever.jpg