Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Surroundsound headset

3 posts in this topic

Hi can any one help, im looking for a good set of headphones for GT Legends, GTR, RFactor etc

any ideas would be great as i cant seem to workout where cars are coming up to corners & braking area etc. Would 5.1 or 7.1 be any good?? I have an older set but time for an upgrade now. I would be happy for any help. Thanks

I bought Razer Megalodon headphones recently. They use virtualized surround sound (3d sound in two speakers).

http://www2.razerzone.com/Megalodon/

I've only been simracing for a month or so - mainly on iRacing - and haven't participated in any races yet so can't give you specific feedback on your needs. however, I'm very pleased with the surround aspect of the headphones both when sim-driving and when playing games that support surround sound (e.g. Portal) and they are plenty loud enough.

Logitech has the G25.It's 7.1 and is very well built and the sound is good considering how cheap it is.Under $100 up here in Canada.I had to get another headset when my buttkicker arrived as buttkickers don't work with USB headsets.

I picked up a Creative Fatality Professional series Gamers headset.It's not surround sound,I didn't find them very comfortable and the mic breaks when you throw them against a wall.(don't do that)

Before both of these I had a Platronics virtual 7.1 gaming headset.You need to use their software overwriting the Xf-I software and the mini jacks plug into a chord that has USB to plug into your PC with in order for the virtual 7.1 to work.I didn't have a buttkicker then but preferred mini jacks into the sound card and never used the virtual 7.1.I'm wary of anything that has "virtual" in it's name.These were by far the second most comfortable set of headphones I've ever owned.Led Zeppelin took out the left speaker one evening resulting in an annoying crackle in the Vette.

I went to buy another Platronics headset last month and noticed 2 Sennheiser gaming headsets on display.1 pair was $175 and the other $230.I had each box in my hand trying to see the differences between the 2 and noticed a $300 set so I bought those lol.Sennheiser PC 360 G4ME.These are hard to describe but I will try and put wearing these into words.It's like ear sex.Custom fitted silk underwear.Any other headset I've ever owned since I started sim racing (a wild guess would be 20) all sounded like coffee mugs pressed over my ears.The PC 360's are an open-type headset letting air pass in and out of the cups while on your head.You can hear people talk around you,they can hear what you hear although muffled considerable and the sound seems so much more open and free.Like talking outside in an open meadow compared to talking in a small square room.When my wife opens the door (cautiously) she can tell right away if I'm doing laps or listening to music and whether or not she should try and communicate.I have a better sense of my surroundings it seems and not being startled near as much when my daughter taps me on the top of the head mid race.

I don't know of any surround sound headsets that aren't USB although there probably are some.If you have a sound card(my Xf-I pumps out far better sound than any usb or onboard sound) or a buttkicker you can't use USB.With Headsets more than anything you get what you pay for.If you want premium sound your going to pay for it. High fidelity=sound reproduction over the full range of audible frequencies with very little distortion of the original signal.The sound of a Dallara Indy car cruising at low speed is just so much better with quality sound systems.

Gimmicks like surround sound and cordless on an affordable gaming headset sacrifice good sound quality.It will take a pretty good surround sound headset(non USB) to get me out of the Sennheisers now.