New GT Rig - Feedback Appreciated
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Hi guys!

So we have just finished building a new GT rig (not 100% complete as we are still waiting for the Tilton Hydraulic Pedals and a new steering wheel to arrive)

So some details about the setup

• Running a 3DOF setup (seat mover and traction loss, 150mm actuators SCN5)
  • Actuators are housed in a customer cylinder we have designed which reduces noise by up to 80%
  • Accuforce steering system (still waiting for the new wheel to arrive from Ricmotech)
  • 49" QLED 32:9 samsung monitor
  • Frame is all hand built, rolled and welded.  Sent to the powder coaters for that final finish
  • PC is mounted underneath to make it a complete unit running the following specs
    • Core i-7 8700k overclocked to 5.1GHz water cooled
    • RTX 2080Ti watercooled overclocked
    • 16Gb DDR4 4266Mhz
    • 250Gb Samsung Pro M2
  • Vive Pro VR (it is epic!)
  • All wiring is run through the steel tubing so hardly any wires exposed
  • 5 point racing harness
  • Genuine Racing Bucket Seat (it is tight!)
  • Adjustable pedals (just waiting for the Ricmotech Tilton Hydraulic set to arrive)
  • Heuksinveld Shifter and handbrake

Let me know what you think to the design, any questions fire away!  Also any improvements you guys would make?

newsim.jpg.f2ce6f29a326fcd13a3dd92defa3e905.jpg

Edited by Racing Sims

It's a unique design which is a good thing...like the colour as well :-). Other good thing is cable management. Selling it as a package with respective gear is ok. However, what if someone wants to use his T500 or a different shifter, handbrake etc? Finding people who want to use just exactly this gear may be a bit difficult.

I see issues in regard to mounting and positioning of other gear. Height difference between seat and pedal heel plate is too big for my taste and adjustability can be a problem for taller guys. The rig is very long and that can cause issues with some people. The total length of my 3dof seat mover is 1.97m and a 7 foot/2.1m guy would sit comfortable in it...and that's using pretty much the same geometry for the seat mover actuators.

For me personally it was important that the impact of pitch on the distance between seat and pedals is minimal. That's caused by the vertical distance between the seat and the u-joint and it seems to be quite big on your rig.

What to do with mouse, keyboard, speakers, transducers? What if you want to use triple screens?

Although my rig is just built for myself I have solutions for all the points I brought up. So this is not to bash, but just things I was considering when designing/building my rig. Maybe not important for you...and that's all fine :-)

Edited by Thirsty

I just googled it and found some more pics of the rig. The seat mover actuators are actually mounted a lot steeper than Simxperience's and mine. Shortens the rig and increases amount of pitch and roll, but also increases the load on the actuators. Probably still a long rig requiring respective space.

Hi Thirsty

Thanks for the feedback, totally appreciate it. So the rig is actually only 2.05m in length so not too much longer than yours, the pedals are obviously fully adjustable and when selling the rig it is fully modular (the one pictured is one of ours) so you can use any hardware you wish.  The beauty of us hand building these is we actually work with the purchaser to not only give them the ability to design a one-off rig but also ensure everything is built to their measurements.

As far as 3 screen yes we have a solution for 3 screen, for our simulators we wanted to be a bit different hence we run just the one 49" 32:9 screen.

As this is our rig we do not have the keyboard and mouse attachment on it as we man it while people are using it, but the consumer model does have a keyboard and mouse attachment.

I do agree with you about the seat height and we have actually changed this on our recent models (the one pictured was our first production run of that GT style) we have also changed the floor slightly 

As far as the colours customers can choose any colour they want we also offer dipping so customers can have unique patterns.

Really appreciate your time commenting, we are currently designing our F1 version so will upload that once it is off the production line!  Would love to see a pic of your rig if you can.

Here is another pic of one at an event recently

file.thumb.jpeg.91ff509ff6d2928baed0718889768f5d.jpeg

No worries. Great you can make adjustments to meet individual needs. I estimate, based on your design, if you want to put a 6.5 foot person in there with a raised pedal heel plate the length of the rig would be >2.3m and that can cause problems as some potential buyers may not have enough space available.

Edited by Thirsty

Thats interesting my business partner is 6.3 foot and obviously the pedals are pushed all the way back on their slider but he fits in the rig well.  Would actually be interested in getting someone taller on there to see how that works.

Coming to NZ anytime soon, I am sure we can get you on it for a blast :)

I love designing and building rigs and I've got an amazing (in my eyes...haha) new design in ACAD modelled and ready to be built.

That's the reason I've put my rig on the market. Lots of time and effort went into my current rig and I really love the way it looks and performs. That makes it easy to put it up for a somewhat decent price. I would still get paid poorly if it was sold for this price. So, although I'm quite excited about my new ideas, I'm very relaxed and totally fine if it stays there on Gumtree forever...hahaha.

Anyway, here the ad and there's a video showing all the details in there as well:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/clontarf/other-video-games-consoles/3dof-motion-racing-simulator/1181647468

40 minutes ago, Racing Sims said:

Thats interesting my business partner is 6.3 foot and obviously the pedals are pushed all the way back on their slider but he fits in the rig well.  Would actually be interested in getting someone taller on there to see how that works.

Coming to NZ anytime soon, I am sure we can get you on it for a blast :)

Thanks :-) Probably won't make it too soon, but NZ is definitely on my travel list. Heard so my great things about your country.

The problem I see is the feet hitting the tubing when raising the pedals. That means you either have to increase the length of the rig or adjust the tubing holding the steering wheel.

Edited by Thirsty

Call me crazy but how do you fancy being apart of the design process for our new F1 rig, we are very early stages and are actually going down two avenues currently, one is doing a front end replica of a race car (although I feel this has been done too much) the other is designing something along the lines of our GT rig by using the steel tubing.

The pedals are going to be the Ricmotech GT3 Titlon set
The steering system will be the Frex DD with a Ricmotech F1 wheel

Also toying with the idea of either moving the whole rig of sticking with the seat mover but having less travel as movement in F1 will be more minimal.

Edited by Racing Sims
spelling

Just now, Thirsty said:

Thanks :-) Probably make it too soon, but NZ is definitely on my travel list. Heard so my great things about your country.

The problem I see is the feet hitting the tubing when raising the pedals. That means you either have to increase the length of the rig or adjust the tubing holding the steering wheel.

Yes you are correct we have widened the tubing around the pedals (without making the rig wider) just by changing the position they connect to the frame.

29 minutes ago, Racing Sims said:

Call me crazy but how do you fancy being apart of the design process for our new F1 rig, we are very early stages and are actually going down two avenues currently, one is doing a front end replica of a race car (although I feel this has been done too much) the other is designing something along the lines of our GT rig by using the steel tubing.

The pedals are going to be the Ricmotech GT3 Titlon set
The steering system will be the Frex DD with a Ricmotech F1 wheel

Also toying with the idea of either moving the whole rig of sticking with the seat mover but having less travel as movement in F1 will be more minimal.

Thanks. You're flattering me. I'm not a professional designer, but I've put a lot of thought into these things and I've tried quite a bit of high-end gear, including different and expensive motion concepts...so I've got my ideas about all that :-)

Running a business myself (nothing to do with sim racing), I'm not sure if I'd be able to allocate sufficient time to this, but generally I'd be happy to help.

1 minute ago, Beef36 said:

It's great to see another awesome rig design down under, giving us Aussie / NZ folks more choice for higher end kit.

This picture above makes me think is something completely off track.

The 2018 Ig Nobel Medicine Prize Winner concluded that intense rollercoasters with lots of up and down and side to side movements "rattle" riders and can shake kidney stones loose.

Given the sign next to your rig advertises "Mobile Medical - Non-invasive kidney stone treatment", perhaps you can crank your motion platform onto full and sell it as a medical device.  

Just think of the revenue multiplier that would be  :)

Haha, but you know a healthy diet can solve the kidney stone issue a lot more effectively :-)