How Do I Get Serious In Sim Racing?
2 2

4 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm new to sim racing and want to get more serious. For the last year I've been using a Logitech on f1 2017/18. I've just upgraded my PC to handle sim racing but don't know which software to use. I want to compete in a online championship and have the software to become "pro". So from your guy's experience should i invest in iracing, rfactor 2 etc. 

PS

I'm only 16 with a Saturday job so iracing's extra cost would hurt but if it's necessary that's fine.

Thanks

Jamie 

Iracing has the best system for finding organized races and also offers special pro series that have a cash prize. They currently have 4 different pro series that offer $100,000.00 prize. Others offer individual contests that can be won for a cash prize but there is nothing currently going on similar to what iracing is offering that I am aware of. With that said it is quite expensive to get started in iracing so unless you have a job or your parents are willing to spend 100 a year on the subscription and $12 car and $14 per track than I wouldnt look much into it. 

Well sixteen is a great age to begin but it is going to take a lot more than good software to become "pro" in iRacing. You will need some natural talent, the right attitude and an understanding that you need to develop skills and learn racecraft just like our real world counterparts. Above all, being patient and having a willingness to start from the bottom and work your way to the top is most important but it might also be the hardest thing to endure when you begin. In iRacing there are ways to get into the upper licence levels quickly, but if you look at getting to the top as a long term goal rather that a race you will learn much more. If you don't already, I would suggest watching plenty of car racing (both real world and sim) and read books on race car driving and car tuning. To start with I would recommend 'Going Faster - Mastering The Art Of Race Driving'. Good luck.

Thanks both for the advise. I think i'm going to get iracing, it seems like the clear best way to start. Also, i already watch quite a lot of racing but i think i'll take a look at the book you suggested. I've come to realise that the race craft required for iracing is very different to the world of F1 2018 multiplayer.

Thanks for the help