Fanatec Podium future compatibility with Sim Tools or Sim Commander software.

2 posts in this topic

Dear Inside Sim Racing Community,  

Re Fanatec Podium future compatibility with Sim Tools or Sim Commander software.

I have a question, about future software compatibility of the Fanatec Podium software with other bits of kit and software outside of the Fanatec universe, specifically motion rigs running Sim Tools or Sim Commander or other common motion control software, with compatibility at the same time for VR headset.

This is my first post, I am located in Sydney Australia and about to upgrade my old Fanatec based wheel and static rig, adding a direct drive wheel base as the first step.  Later I plan to use the Direct Drive on a 3DF motion rig

I am thinking seriously about going ahead and pre ordering either a Podium DD1 or DD2, plus a new Fanatec wheel to mount on the DD, and possibly more Fanatec kit, so good news for Fanatec.  I have a good static older rig including ClubSport pedals which for now I would keep using, and with some strengthening & reinforcement the current rig would for now handle a DD base. 

I really like the look of the Podium direct drive base and get it has some attractive benefits over the top end alternatives which in this case would be an OSW Direct Drive or Bodnar. I have the necessary high-end GTX 980ti based gaming PC to run the direct drive rig.  I am also looking at getting a Vive Pro which the 980ti should handle.  

Although early days, the initial reviews I have seen suggest that the DD1 and DD2 are easily better than an Accuforce and should be at the same high level as an OSW or Bodnar direct drive. That is all I need to know re general performance and I am willing to bet on the Podium DDs being pretty good, the claimed backwards compatibility with Fanatec kit should mean my current static chair rig should be reasonably straight forward to get running, and hopefully with a VR headset as well.     

Because I am looking down the track at a 3DF motion simulator my main questions to the community are about future software compatibility of the new Fanatec Podium software with other bits of kit and software outside of the Fanatec universe. Specifically, for motion rigs running Sim Tools or Sim Commander or other dedicated motion control software, with compatibility for VR headset working as well at the same time.       

It pays to ask, and be sure. I did try to answer with a web search and on the Inside Sim Racing site and Fanatec community site as well, but came up short re a definitive answer.  I even sent Fanatec a message about this a couple days ago without reply so far.

Honestly if a Podium DD is expected/designed to work with/alongside and not conflict with Sim Tools or Sim Commander type software running the motion sim rig side of things, then that’s all I really need to decide probably in favour of the Podium, otherwise it might be safer to go with an OSW wheel which would be great as well.

I welcome any contributions that could help answer or clarify things.   

On 9/27/2018 at 1:28 PM, GeraltofBayview said:

Dear Inside Sim Racing Community,  

Re Fanatec Podium future compatibility with Sim Tools or Sim Commander software.

I have a question, about future software compatibility of the Fanatec Podium software with other bits of kit and software outside of the Fanatec universe, specifically motion rigs running Sim Tools or Sim Commander or other common motion control software, with compatibility at the same time for VR headset.

This is my first post, I am located in Sydney Australia and about to upgrade my old Fanatec based wheel and static rig, adding a direct drive wheel base as the first step.  Later I plan to use the Direct Drive on a 3DF motion rig

I am thinking seriously about going ahead and pre ordering either a Podium DD1 or DD2, plus a new Fanatec wheel to mount on the DD, and possibly more Fanatec kit, so good news for Fanatec.  I have a good static older rig including ClubSport pedals which for now I would keep using, and with some strengthening & reinforcement the current rig would for now handle a DD base. 

I really like the look of the Podium direct drive base and get it has some attractive benefits over the top end alternatives which in this case would be an OSW Direct Drive or Bodnar. I have the necessary high-end GTX 980ti based gaming PC to run the direct drive rig.  I am also looking at getting a Vive Pro which the 980ti should handle.  

Although early days, the initial reviews I have seen suggest that the DD1 and DD2 are easily better than an Accuforce and should be at the same high level as an OSW or Bodnar direct drive. That is all I need to know re general performance and I am willing to bet on the Podium DDs being pretty good, the claimed backwards compatibility with Fanatec kit should mean my current static chair rig should be reasonably straight forward to get running, and hopefully with a VR headset as well.     

Because I am looking down the track at a 3DF motion simulator my main questions to the community are about future software compatibility of the new Fanatec Podium software with other bits of kit and software outside of the Fanatec universe. Specifically, for motion rigs running Sim Tools or Sim Commander or other dedicated motion control software, with compatibility for VR headset working as well at the same time.       

It pays to ask, and be sure. I did try to answer with a web search and on the Inside Sim Racing site and Fanatec community site as well, but came up short re a definitive answer.  I even sent Fanatec a message about this a couple days ago without reply so far.

Honestly if a Podium DD is expected/designed to work with/alongside and not conflict with Sim Tools or Sim Commander type software running the motion sim rig side of things, then that’s all I really need to decide probably in favour of the Podium, otherwise it might be safer to go with an OSW wheel which would be great as well.

I welcome any contributions that could help answer or clarify things.   

Im also in Sydney and I build motion DIY and use Simtools. as for podium compatibility, Im going to say its different software to Simtools , you could ask on xsimulator.net as they might have an answer, Wheel software should not conflict with motion software.

I currently use a Fanatec V2 base and shifter and pedals, and also currently testing ard based adapter for G27 pedals and shifter and V2 base and I have no problems whatsoever .

otherwise for motion stuff , Im happy to assist. Just PM me and I can supply direct contact details.

Cheers, David Lane.