Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

E3 2011 Forza 4 Launch Party. Interview and Gameplay

13 posts in this topic

One of the biggest events at E3 this year was Microsoft and Turn 10 presenting Forza 4 coming out towards the end of the year. They had a very cool launch party that the ISR crew was able to attend. Also Darin interviews Alan Hartman the studio manager for Turn 10 and they talk about many new features coming to the game. Then we round out the episode with Shaun, Darin and Tommy talking about the gameplay. This comes after trying out several different cars and tracks.

Great video, watched it through and through. Although you guys got a in-depth look at the game, I am still cautiously optimistic about the end result. Forza 3 was okay to start out with, but became increasingly boring and felt empty, at least to me. The physics in Forza 3 were semi-sim at best, but that I assume is because of what Greenawalt was saying about the game being for "6 and 60", "Car lovers into gamers, vice versa".

That's just my two cents. I won't be pre-ordering, but I will at least give Forza a try and see if it does indeed beat Gran Turismo in the console sim wars.

Bravo Guys. Another outstanding episode. There were two issues that left me feeling uneasy. The first was the lack of emphasis on FFB. It sounds as though T10 have actually improved FFB but I wish they had enthusiastically and positively endorsed its important rather than the weak frown and blurred 'it hasn't been a focus' answer that greeted Darin's question. I felt the same about damage. Forza 3 seemed to rely on a generalized Brillo pad damage with generous mechanical damage that only really kicked in after disastrous crashes. Again, the response to a gentle question about damage improvement was a weak 'its not a total rewrite' and 'we are still working on it'. The tire modelling on the other hand seems a fantastic leap forward and I was wondering how it compares to iracings new tire model. Also, I wondered how the new Elite Fanatec wheel was shaping up in relation to Forza 4. Still lots of unanswered qu's but it all looks very promising. Once again, many thanks guys.

Best Regards,

Paul

Could you comment on the force feedback effects when going over the rumble strips, I felt they were week in Forza 3 when compared to games like Shift 2 and F1 2010. It would be good to know if they have improved the feel this time.

They seems to be more focus on Kinect than ffb. ( i guess they have no choice since MS sold more kinects than wheels) And the whole idea of driving with your hand in the air already been done on the Wii. The only advantage of not have some kind of wheel in your hand is to hold a beer but then you have to be careful not to make a hard right or left turn. Even the Microsoft horseshoe sounds better than holding nothing.

Excellent show and interview ISR!

I must say I am a really disappointed with Turn 10's responses for wheel support. They seem to be mostly focused on pad players and now Kinect. As a wheel only player that is the last thing I want to hear.

Awesome looking party.

Re: Interview. Hmmm, Turn 10 like to tow the party line don't they? Nice interview but he didn't really give anything away. Sounds like we shouldn't expect any drastic changes but a more polished game than Forza 3. The new tire model sounds great, the graphics look awesome but I wish there were less 'We are not talking about that at this time' type answers.

I am going to call it here and now...There will be unsealed road rally racing in Forza 4.

Nice try guys. Much appreciated.

In the realm of racing games you are either going for sim or arcade. In sim racing it's wheel or nothing. Turn 10 seems to want to cater to both crowds with their kinect support, which would be fine, as long as they don't do a half assed job at both. If the wheel FFB doesn't feel right the sim crowd will drop Forza like a hot potato. One thing I like about GT5 is that it really feels like you're driving a car, unlike the myriad of arcade racers out there (ahem Need For Speed) that have that "car pivoting on a flagpole stuck through the middle of it feel to their physics"

Here's to hoping Forza 4 has the right feel to it, while preserving what made Forza 3 great in it's own right.

Poor Jessica, you guys are mean, lol.

Good report and nice to hear some of your comments on your experiences from the game and wheels.

No real moans so far then?

We rely on people like you that are forming friendships with such developers to help push for features sim racers want in such titles. If GT5 can have selectable cockpit views within game tell them, no insist it's a feature FM4 should consider to have also. Better yet why cant each car have a customisable and saved FOV (per car) as one of the view selections. I think PGR 1 had something like this for external views.

Think you guys are all shooting down Kinect Head Tracking a bit early.

Limited testing, no time to settle in properly, no fine tuning of its setup options and in a busy enviroment are hardly the best conditions for it to shine anyways. Also id rather they do innovate and have the option than not.

Could the tracking be "Voice Activated" to track when you want it to track?

Totally disagree with you guys on the issue of just buying Kinect for FM4. I have had no interest for Kinect till now but I will buy it just for FM4. The reason is that it does so much more than just the headtracking, err did you forget? Come on, how cool will "Auto Vista" be on a big screen or projector and Kinect rather than just using a contoller? Also as Dan mentioned "Voice Activated Menus". Say it and bang your at that menu selection is pretty darn cool as well.

The only thing missing I can see is 3DTV support and it is weird that MS do not have a single "In House" studio with a "AAA" 3D game yet. Who knows if they can manage it with FM4 but "Auto Vista" certainly has the text layers set that they would work great in 3D. One feature Id really hope for yet.

Forza 4 sounds pretty cool, but I doubt I will pick it up at release. I might grab it for fun as a budget buy later on, if for nothing but Clarkson's commentary. I guess it depends on how much is added/changed.

Hey guys.

I was wondering if you had chance to play FM4 (or any other game) with new Madcatz wheel.

I know its not gonna be nowhere near Fanatec but the price is suggesting that it might be quite good quality wheel.