Plywood GT Rig
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Here is my plywood saloon/GT sim rig, made from 18mm ply.  It has a Fanatec CSL Elite wheelbase & V3 pedals, Heusinkveld shifter and Corbeau Clubsport seat.  The pedals are mounted on a fully adjustable pedal box which slides on 41x21mm heavy duty slotted Unistrut.  The wheelbase is fixed and the seat is mounted on runners on 50x100mm box section alluminium.  Pedal box is lit by a 1m led strip light.

A26A93E0-2F6D-4447-AB7A-613FD6A86437.jpeg

9C31DEA3-8ACC-4C0B-A951-FCB6B4310A6E.jpeg

On 2/07/2018 at 8:05 AM, BarryH said:

Here is my plywood saloon/GT sim rig, made from 18mm ply.  It has a Fanatec CSL Elite wheelbase & V3 pedals, Heusinkveld shifter and Corbeau Clubsport seat.  The pedals are mounted on a fully adjustable pedal box which slides on 41x21mm heavy duty slotted Unistrut.  The wheelbase is fixed and the seat is mounted on runners on 50x100mm box section alluminium.  Pedal box is lit by a 1m led strip light.

A26A93E0-2F6D-4447-AB7A-613FD6A86437.jpeg

9C31DEA3-8ACC-4C0B-A951-FCB6B4310A6E.jpeg

That looks exactly like what i need in my space!~ You wouldn't happen to have plans with measurements handy? Been looking for a few days and haven't found a single decent plan.

Thanks for your interest.  I have no plans but the following will enable you to build something very similar.  The rig is designed to butt up against a wall with the monitor mounted separately on the wall using a suitable bracket.  The wheel base is fixed, but the seat and pedals are adjustable.  I used a Corbeau Clubsport seat which comes complete with runners and is very good value.

The rig base is very straight forward to build, it’s just a 1600mm x 600mm timber ladder style frame with plywood top.

The four side panels were rough cut and then finished off using hardboard templates and a router fitted with a template cutter bit.  See attached photo of my hardboard templates for dimensions.

The wheel mount shelf, front vertical and angled panels, were secured using pocket holes and Kreg screws.  However, you could just screw through the side panels into the edge of the ply but you would have to be careful to avoid the ply from splitting.

The pedal box is effectively two pieces of mdf hinged together at the front so the rake of the pedals can be adjusted.  The pedals are bolted to the top piece, and the bottom piece is then secured to the Unistrut channel so it can be adjusted backwards/forwards.  I used heavy duty Screwfix phosphor bronze washered hinges.  I also used some aluminium strip (rebated into the bottom piece of mdf) to connect the bottom piece of mdf to the Unistrut.  However, if the bottom piece of mdf was wider (500mm) it could sit on top of the Unistrut and you wouldn’t need the ally strip.  At the moment I’m just sliding a block of wood backwards or forwards between the two pieces of mdf to adjust the pedal rake and its surprisingly solid, however, i plan to come up with a better method in time.  If you don’t want adjustable rake then just use one piece of mdf attached to the Unistrut channel using cap head screws and channel nuts.

The rig is rock solid and very adaptable.  I’m now thinking of fitting a Fanatec Podium direct drive wheel.

See attached photos and materials list below for more details.

I hope this is of help.

Materials List:

18mm Plywood - good furniture quality:

Qty 1 x 1600 x 600mm - for base top

Qty 2 x 800 x 800mm - for front side panels

Qty 2 x 800 x 210mm - for rear side panels

Qty 1 x 600 x 420mm - for wheel mount shelf

Qty 1x 600 x xxmm - for front vertical panel

Qty 1 x 600 x 450mm - for front angled panel

18mm mdf:

Qty 2 x 40 x 40mm pieces - for pedal box

94 x 32mm planed timber:

Qty 2 x 1600mm - for base sides

Qty 4 x 536mm - for base cross beams

100 x 50mm, 10swg, box section aluminium:

Qty 2 x 500mm lengths - for seat support - you could use timber to save money

Unistrut slotted channel 41 x 21mm x 2.5mm thick:

Qty 2 x 500mm lengths - for pedal box runners

Aluminium strip 100mm wide x 3mm thick:

Qty 2 x 400mm lengths

Fasteners:

Various woodscrews for building base frame and securing plywood top

Kreg screws for securing wheel shelf, vertical and angled panels, to front side panels

Qty 18 x M10 x 60mm button head cap screws - for securing side panels to base

Qty 18 x M10 tee nuts - for securing side panels to base

Qty 4 x M10 x 20mm button head cap screws - for securing Unistrut to base

Qty 4 x M10 tee nuts - for securing Unistrut to base

Qty 4 x M10 button head cap screws - for securing pedal box to Unistrut

Qty 4 x M10 Unistrut channel nuts to Unistrut

Qty 4 x M10 x 30mm button head cap screws - for securing ally box section to base

Qty 4 x M10 tee nuts - for securing ally box section to base

Qty 4 suitable nuts & bolts - for securing seat runner to ally box section

Other items:

Carpet tiles

Aluminium carpet edging strip - for rear of base

Aluminium u section for caps over side plate joints

Led strip lights