Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New to Tactile - Nothing But Problems

8 posts in this topic

Just got a Buttkicker Gamer 2 was so exciting for this to "fill out the gaps" of my Next Level Racing Motion Platform v3 I also just bought.

I first used SimShaker Wheels with Automobilista and could hardly get any road noise or bumps.  I think purchased SimVibe and am still having the same issue, there is barely any feedback.  The tactile is basically fully off for 99% of the lap when it comes to road noise and bumps.  It's like it's broken.  I can get big jolts from gear shifts and I can use engine revs as well (which, by the way suck as the Buttkicker Gamer is barely felt above 70 or so Hz) but there's basically no road noise or bumps.  I tried extension as well as chassis mode.  In chassis mode, I should be getting output from the front-left suspension but there's literally no feedback, NONE.  Only gear shifts and engine revs actually output feedback.

What is the issue here?  How could SimShaker Wheels and SimVibe both have the same problem?  If they're simply reading off the "raw" telemetry of the physics engine, then how are 99% of bumps and road noise not being outputted?  This makes no sense...

OK, I was just about to make a video showing how no bumps were coming through (only engine revs and shifts working) and then it started working. It was probably the 10th time I opened AMS before it started working. Weird.

Bumps still don't feel like bumps though. If I drove over a big bump, I expect a hard thump to hit me...A single, strong thump...Instead, the Buttkicker is still outputting multiple hits at a certain frequency.

Why would a single bump in the game - what should be a single "thump" from the transducer - be outputted with a bunch of bumps at "x" frequency? This, to me, tells me this system is not truly following game physics. A single thump in the road should be a single thump from the transducer, not a barrage of bumps at "x' frequency.

Also, the dynamic range isn't good. The big bump at the entrance of turn 1 @ AMS's Buenos Aires #9 barely outputs anymore power from the transducer than lighter bumps. I made sure to turn down the amp so it's not clipping.

The forces should all be scaled relative to one-another. It's just like the NLM v3, forces aren't even scaled relative to one another (in terms of g-forces). The hardware should be capable of it but that's not how it's behaving. It's all behaving like a gimmick...

It's getting a little better. I just discovered that you can add more types of effects than what's listed. I still can't get bumps scaled to one another though :(

Can you load the F301 at Buenos Aires #9 and tell me if you get a big hit when hitting the big bump at the entrance to turn 1? I've tried the following individually and all at once but failed:
- road bumps
- road texture
- front suspension bumps
- front suspension surges
- vertical surges
- vertical texture

You can visually see the car hitting a big bump there yet you don't get a big kick from the transducer yet, at other corners with way smaller bumps and going 1/4th the speed, you get big kicks from the transducer. It makes no sense.

P.S. on the brighter side, "engine vibration w/ harmonics & load" and "engine RPM quad stream" are so cool and way better than the default "engine vibration."

The read effects like bumps must be the easier to produce from BK...very strange. I think you missing something... just for a test - can you test the BK like audio device, not using SimShaker and Simvibe - it must produce bump vibration.

12 hours ago, Krassi said:

The read effects like bumps must be the easier to produce from BK...very strange. I think you missing something... just for a test - can you test the BK like audio device, not using SimShaker and Simvibe - it must produce bump vibration.

I am getting bumps and noise and stuff but some of it doesn't make sense.  For example, on some turns I'm going very slow like 50 km/h on what seems like smooth tarmac yet I get strong bumps from the Buttkicker while some very big bumps (eg. Buenos Aires #9 turn 1 entry) I barely feel anything.

It doesn't seem to be following the physics as much as it should.

I read somewhere that only SimTools truly follows games' raw physics while others like Simvibe, SimShaker Wheels, etc. work a little differently.  I wonder how much truth there is to that...

2 hours ago, Spinelli said:

I am getting bumps and noise and stuff but some of it doesn't make sense.  For example, on some turns I'm going very slow like 50 km/h on what seems like smooth tarmac yet I get strong bumps from the Buttkicker while some very big bumps (eg. Buenos Aires #9 turn 1 entry) I barely feel anything.

It doesn't seem to be following the physics as much as it should.

I read somewhere that only SimTools truly follows games' raw physics while others like Simvibe, SimShaker Wheels, etc. work a little differently.  I wonder how much truth there is to that...

IMO following the game is easier to be done and I can`t see why Simvibe will go in different and less realistic way. Your explanation sounds like you use Buttkicker in sound mode, I know you don`t - just in sound mode is possible those situations to happen for me.

From my experience, the BK-G2 is pretty limited - both in range of frequency and overall power. I tried combining 2 of them on my rig but, it was still far from what I had envisioned my tactile experience to be so I opted to go big by purchasing a BK-LFE and a Behringer iNuke nu3000dsp amp to drive it. The BK-LFE can work at frequencies as low a 5hz and those result in large rounded movements and go up to maybe 50hz or so but, the piston is too big and heavy to respond to high frequencies. For that reason, I added 2 ADX bass-shakers under my seat to handle the mid-range frequencies and powered those using the iNuke nu1000 amp. Utilizing transducers of differing size and frequency will give so much more range and variable effects over one type / size.

Even my BK-LFE can be rendered completely ineffective when faced with too much rigid mass. The key to making it all work was in the mounting solution, isolation and direction of vibe-energy within the chassis. The difference that makes is huge and can make or break the tactile systems effectiveness. It's far too complex of an issue to explain here but, there are some great resources in various forums like Race Dept. / GTplanet / Xsimulator and more. Even mini-puck's can be very effective when mounted properly, and considering the overall physics involved.