[How-to] Paddle noise reduction. Easy mod + reversible.

1 post in this topic

This is an easy mod to do and it cuts down the clacky noise from the paddles significantly. This is literally a 5 min job, or 2 if you've opened the wheel before and know where all the right screws are.The tact switches on the board are not that loud, but because the wheel uses a spring to actuate them, the spring resonates the sound and increases the volume. I spent a couple of hours trying to find all sorts of things to replace the springs with but I couldn't find anything that would compress enough to give a decent amount of paddle travel plus retain some of the tactile feeling of the button. In the end the solution turned out to be quite simple. Get some 10mm heatshrink, cut it to just a few mm shorter than the spring height, and apply it to the outside of the spring with a heat gun/hairdryer/lighter/dragon breath.

To get to the springs you just need to remove 3 of the front bolts (Top left, top right and centre bottom, like an upside down triangle. If you have 3 long bolts, you've done it right. If you have any shorts ones, you've got the wrong bolt.), the two very small bolts on the front at the bottom, and then the 4 main screws on the back, and then the back cover will come off easily. Springs just pop off of the switches, might need to work them off from side to side, it's a very tight interference fit.
Also, while you're inside, do the magnet mod as well, makes the paddle action feel better. I'll link to a video of that mod at the bottom too.

Pics and a video:

20180609_021911.thumb.jpg.d5967d41ac79c6cc87208989be10c434.jpg

20180609_021807.thumb.jpg.0b26ffa0553a127086a3d2638ce6edc9.jpg

20180609_022318.thumb.jpg.0cabb37bb7a85d6e822114781026c1b1.jpg

MAGNET MOD:

Edited by Mark_McQ