Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dirt 3 The Final Review

22 posts in this topic

Well after a handful of driving videos and after our preview covering only the first season we have released our full review of Dirt 3. We have tried the game out on all 3 platforms, Xbox, PS3 and PC. We also tested wheels from Logitech, Fanatec and Thriustmaster. We have driven every type of discipline within the game to make sure that we have tried everything that Dirt 3 has to offer.

Great review. I'll be playing on xbox soon as my GT2 gets here. You mentioned changing the settings @ each race, could you do that in wheel with the fanatic instead. That way maybe you could program multiple car types?

Shaun, one of your all time favorites?!! Wow can't wait

Hi Shaun and Darin, I have to say that you guys have come such a long way with the production values on the show. Not only was the review fun and thoughtful with plenty of depth, the presentation was an excellent mix of informality and professionalism. 10/10 on the rev scale guys. Great work.

Regards

Paul....Dumbstruck from the UK!!!

I agree Dirt 3 is great! The weather effects and the night racing is a fantastic addition to series. I'm playing on ps3 right now with a dfgt and the 180 degrees of rotation is killing me,it definitely is too twitchy. I set the steering linearity to -8 and it helped some. My gt2 is scheduled to get here wed. so I'll try that and see if it's any different. Great review as usual!

Hi Darin and Shawn.

Again, a excellent show and review, only thing I noticed in the show is the volume levels, I had to increase my volume for the review since your voices were pretty low in volume but when the commercials came on, it just about blew me out of the chair, had to hurry and turn down the volume for those. Any way of Normalizing the sound throughout the show? This would be great! :)

Darin, I bought the Steam version of Dirt 3 and right from install, it worked fine in triple screen mode, I'm using a AMD based system (Phenom 2, 6 cores, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and a HIS 5850) and it works great in 5760x1080. Kinda strange the disk version has a problem with this.

As another member has mentioned, the level of professionalism gets better and better with each show. :)

Take care

Regards: >>>> Jack <<<<

Darin or should I say "DAZ"

To fix the Fanatec wheel flashback bug open up Dirt3/actionmap/ftec_porsche_wheel.xml on the notepad

Find these two lines and change the "z" to a "y" as the accelerator is mapped wrong. It should read :

- -

- -

By the way I'm running 2 5850 in crossfire just fine.

Good review. Darin, I'm a bit surprised you guys didn't mention THE two BIGGEST bugs in the pc version of game...

1)The game is crashing for A LOT of people when running in DX11!

2)The game does not save your PC wheel button and axis mapping settings. Upon exiting and restarting, they revert back to their original xml file defaults.

How you guys missed this is quite frankly a bit perplexing.

2)The game does not save your PC wheel button and axis mapping settings. Upon exiting and restarting, they revert back to their original xml file defaults.

It does save them, you can not touch the keyboard until after the game is loaded. Use the buttons on your wheel until then.

I applaud you and curse you guys for this review :)

Applause on the way your bar of standard has risen immensly since your first episodes (yes I've been around that long)!

Curses since you made me buy the game even if I've sworn off CM games after F12010 being absolutely lousy on my triplescreen rig ;)

One thing that I didn't get from your review was how well this game performs on an AMD rig ;) (yes I saw that part). I've got an ASUS MB, AMD Phenom II X4 955 and an AMD 5850 and it all runs with no problems what so ever. In fact, it flies!

First startup it suggested almost max on all gfx & 4AA and I expected a slideshow in 5760*1080

But no... I didn't even bother to open the fraps counter, the game was super fast, fluid and with no hickups at all :)

Good stuff! As disappointing F12010 was, as promising is this :)

/Dan

It does save them, you can not touch the keyboard until after the game is loaded. Use the buttons on your wheel until then.

I've tried that but somehow it still doesn't save. If I select the Fanatec Wheel, then do my custom settings, exit and reload the game, I'll keep pressing the buttons on the wheel until the game is in the main menu screen. When I go to check the game controller all the custom settings are lost.

This is something that's been a problems since Dirt 2. I'm trying to find a way to hack the .xml file for the fanatec wheel in the game and edit the button settings. If anyone wants to help work on it let me know.

But other than by complaining about the wheel settings, the rally game is an absolute blast to play. The physics are just teetering on the edge between realistic and arcade. Plus the gymkhana made me fall in love with drifting again in games. I never was a fan of drifting in racing but gymkhana nails it. For me it's a definite 5/5. I plan on playing through the single player because it's just that good.

I've tried that but somehow it still doesn't save. If I select the Fanatec Wheel, then do my custom settings, exit and reload the game, I'll keep pressing the buttons on the wheel until the game is in the main menu screen. When I go to check the game controller all the custom settings are lost.

Don't check if the settings are still there, just load up your next game and the settings will be saved.

Plus the gymkhana made me fall in love with drifting again in games.

I only wish that gymkhana was not in the career mode, to me it gives the game too much of an arcade feel. I do like the gymkhana but it should be on its own.

Don't check if the settings are still there, just load up your next game and the settings will be saved.

It only takes about a minutes anyway just to change everything back to what I want anyhow. It's more annoying why CM hasn't patched this issue yet. It's been a problem since Dirt 2!

It's something I can live with. ;)

You know what I really dislike about Dirt 3? It's the lack of any sense of ownership of the cars.

Since you do not earn cash to purchase cars (instead, you just get them given to you and you unlock team liveries with XP levels), you never stick with one car long enough to get used to it and learn it's nuances. Sure, you can keep choosing a particular car (if it is available for the event) but the game punishes you for not using the car with the latest unlocked team livery. Not only that, but there is no way to customise your cars. You cannot purchase upgrades, change the rims, paint them different colours or even put you name on the windscreen.

For me, car ownership and having a favourite car is a massive part of the racing game experience. I want to find a car that I like or choose a historical car that I love and make it my own. I want to learn how to push it and where it's limit are so that I can drive it on the edge and get the most out of it.

The whole structure of Dirt 3 seems so scattered. It is like the developers assume we all have attention deficit disorder and cannot do any one thing or drive the same car for any longer than three minute bursts. I had to complete about 25% of the Dirt Tour mode before it unlocked the Rally World Tour which is what I wanted to play right from the start. Why couldn't the whole game be divided into racing disciplines rather than a mash up of race types and cars that change so often that I am not given a chance to master any of them!

you never stick with one car long enough to get used to it and learn it's nuances

First, its the same car you drive (if you pick the same car, but with many liveries to choose.

there is no way to customise your cars,you cannot purchase upgrades, change the rims, paint them different colours

Yep is not a dirt thing, and you have never could do this. Its not a dirt thing, and i love it ;)

put you name on the windscreen

But i love the idea to multiplayer :D

before it unlocked the Rally World Tour

you could have used single player to race something that reminds me alot of that :)

i played dirt 2 with g27   .it was great  dirt 3  with same g27 .i dont know how you even drive a stage with this horrible steering. feels like just every setting i have tried.reminds me of   toca 3  and dirt 1  had to make coasters out of the disks cuz there undrivable