Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buttkicker Seat Placement

5 posts in this topic

I'm looking at adding SimVibe to my setup and starting simple with a single transducer on the seat and then adding to the pedals, possibly moving to chassis mode from there.

My seat is an OpenWheeler, which allows transducers to easily be attached to the left and right sides of the seat.  My question is, would a single transducer on the left or right side be an issue?  I was thinking signals are low frequency you may not notice the source direction as much, but wanted to check.  

The source direction is not easily felt. One on the seat is fine. I don't really see the benefit to chassis mode unless you have very powerful amplifiers, and are willing to isolate the seat/rig from the floor so all of the vibration goes into the rig. There are usually problems with resonances and noises with rigs in chassis mode. If you race with socks, it's more immersive to have pedals vibrating as well.

12 hours ago, Cortmarshal said:

The source direction is not easily felt. One on the seat is fine. I don't really see the benefit to chassis mode unless you have very powerful amplifiers, and are willing to isolate the seat/rig from the floor so all of the vibration goes into the rig. There are usually problems with resonances and noises with rigs in chassis mode. If you race with socks, it's more immersive to have pedals vibrating as well.

Thanks, I'll probably start simple with a single seat transducer and go from there.

Keep in mind the mass factor involved; physics play a huge part in making tactile effective. Leverage / direction and isolation of vibe energy are essential ingredients to make it work to it's full potential. Even the massive BK-LFE can be ineffective when mounted to a large heavy mass while mini-pucks can rattle your teeth when mounted effectively; it's all about the physics. ;-)

BTW if you want to see an elaborate approach to adding SimVibe to an Open Wheeler, take a look at my old thread where I built a frame with shakers and springs and mounted the Open Wheeler on top of it. If I were doing it again I'd probably bring the springs in closer to the seat or put them in a diamond pattern instead to get more tilting motion.

I also used to have a back cushion on there with embedded transducers for seat effects. I had one made by Subpac and used SimVibe to generate the effects, but there are probably some less-expensive approaches these days (the Gametrix Jetseat comes to mind but I think it relies on its own software rather than SimVibe).