'The Alcantara COVERUP' Modded 599xx Rim
3 3

13 posts in this topic

Hey Boyzzz,  I recently bought a TM 599xx wheel/rim, from a fellow member here, and I wanted to share what I have done to Mod it :)  I love this wheel, its' diameter, and just about everything else about this wheel...Except the Alcantara material on the stock wheel itself.  I like the feel of Alcantara, but not for extended runs in Dirt Rally...My hands get dry and sorta 'smell of it' after a serious run or three.  So, I bought a DIY Steering Wheel Kit (just like another isrtv member here) and spent a total of $16 to do this...$11 for the cover itself, and $5 for a local guy to cut the diameter of the cover down, and run a new seam.  Total time for this mod took me a surprisingly 3 HOURS...but I LOVE THE FEEL OF THIS NEW COVER!  I still have to tweak the sides a bit, to get it smooth...this is in my DIY sim rig that I will start posting pics soon...(pretty crazy :)  The mod took about 15% of the force feedback down, but I ramped the power up to 90% vs the stock-shipped 75% setting...And my race times are way higher now...Please feel free to ask any questions/comments... 

IMG_0542.JPG

IMG_0544.JPG

IMG_0543.JPG

IMG_2796.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

13 minutes ago, Krassi said:

How is after some usage?

Its pretty solid, imo, although I need to clean and tighten up 3 & 9 o'clock, as those bends in the cover do get to me after time.  Trying to figure out how Im going to sinch up those areas.  But other than that, the XP is pretty awesome.  I find i can let the wheel slide nicely under my fingertips, when controlling turns and counter-steering.   Without feeling slippery...

16 minutes ago, KBMAN said:

Its pretty solid, imo, although I need to clean and tighten up 3 & 9 o'clock, as those bends in the cover do get to me after time.  Trying to figure out how Im going to sinch up those areas.  But other than that, the XP is pretty awesome.  I find i can let the wheel slide nicely under my fingertips, when controlling turns and counter-steering.   Without feeling slippery...

That`s great! The idea works!;)

19 minutes ago, fil140 said:

was the offcut that you had leftover not big enough to stitch on to cover the spokes?

That's a great idea!   I'm using that leftover piece as a cup coaster right now, lol.   I just might apply that to the spokes!