Is ISRTV Youtube channel dead in 2018?
2 2

29 posts in this topic

Anyone know what's up with the Youtube channel?  No videos by John since Jan 15th.  Did he leave like Billy?  John hasn't posted to the website since Jan 15th either.  Whoever this new owner is, he seems to be letting the channel die.  People are going to move on to other Youtubers and give up on ISRTV if they haven't already.   Speaking of moving on, I saw Darin in the chat on Shaun Cole's daily stream of his news show, The Pit Stop.  He was chatting up people and said he's been watching Shaun's show for a while now and would participate in chat more.  I don't think it was an imposter and Shaun never banned him although he didn't seem to interact with him either.

Thanks, I watched about half that TWISR but not all of so missed that part.  That explains it! 

Kind of sad how things have gone but that's life.  It's too bad John couldn't change the format of ISR.  I think the scope of the channel is too much for one person and he kind of eluded to the fact he has ideas but couldn't do them so I wonder if that was due to the new owner.   I think Shaun's channel has the right idea with how he's doing things now that he's gone with live streaming for the vast majority of his content.  He rarely does edited stuff anymore and without that time sink of editing content he's putting out tons of content live streaming and racing every week several times and has a very interactive community.  And his channel is growing because of that.  Don't know if something like that was what John had in mind but I guess he couldn't pivot to that type or another format for whatever reasons.  

Yeah there is no doubt that the show requires a lot of time due to the format.  Not sure if the budget was there to hire more people.  It is sad to see this site in the condition that it is in.  The one guy left posting articles was feel like a guy alone on an island.  Lol

Hello, Guys

Sadly the channel is at least on hold for now. They removed all comments on all videos maybe because people asked too often questions for the future.

As active member here I feel that the forum slows down,too.

The new owner is person with enough money to find new staff - dunno why he dont do that for now...

Yeah I see Krassi on here a lot and I still visit pretty much everyday, but you are right robnkel, much long and even the loyal ones will stop coming to the site.  Wish it would return to the website it use to be or at least close

It would help if the new owner would just release a mission statement for the site to introduce himself & give a outline of what he is planning to do! At this point everyone is in the dark & just hopping to see improvement in content, hardware/software reviews, etc.

Yes the problem with the way the site is run now is that there is absolutely no communication and sense of community anymore. The way the channel was run for a very long time was with passion and love for what Darin and Shaun did. The sense of community was unbelievable and even though I've only been around for a little over 2 years, ISR was the place to be for me. You can see it in the older videos how much care and respect they had for the site, the show and the community. It is really sad to see it being dropped off a cliff like this but I do still visit regularly here in the forums to keep in touch. But many won't as what keeps people interested is the connection and the feeling of community.

Hopefully one day it returns. 

The strangest thing for me is the forum - I mean the forum here belongs to us and counts on users. Somehow the forum is  related to the Youtube channel obviously - as the result of stopped channel makes the forum on photosynthesis now! I mean other simracing forums work great without youtube or show, but here the case is different as we see...

The hook for me we're the hardware video reviews, I think that's what drove traffic to these forums. The ISR forums even at their peak still wasn't the most active sim racing destination, so now that this website is pretty much left to rot with it's piecemeal news section I'm not surprised it's being abandoned.

It seems as if the forums is just a buy/sell location.  I use to enjoy seeing people help others out when they had a problem.  Now when a problem is posted, it takes a while for an answer and it usually comes from only a couple of people.  This site is sad for me now.

Yes, Bundy... I saw this,too... back in the days here was impossible to post article and to do not have many answers...now it is a miracle if someone reply to you.... infact the most active topic is this one;) Sad, but true!

I did receive a heap of help from the forums, I remember when I got into sim racing, it was the place to be. We can beat the dead horse all we like, but it will NEVER be the same. The DNA has been removed completely. I mean when Shaun departed it probably had a slightly similar feeling. I was not around for that but when I started I watched a tonne of older content and you could see it was different after. What remains to be seen is, is this a purely business move to either eventually push products or block another opportunity from a competitor to do the same thing? Who knows, but with something like a YouTube channel I find it extremely weird to be able to sell it off and it have the same appeal and value as the original creator. I mean, even when creators change the direction and focus of their main content in order to gain broader appeal, their subs are all over them for it. Not sure how the numbers stack with this decision, but there must be some merit behind it otherwise it's just a waste of time and cash.

23 hours ago, anton_chez said:

I did receive a heap of help from the forums, I remember when I got into sim racing, it was the place to be. We can beat the dead horse all we like, but it will NEVER be the same. The DNA has been removed completely. I mean when Shaun departed it probably had a slightly similar feeling. I was not around for that but when I started I watched a tonne of older content and you could see it was different after. What remains to be seen is, is this a purely business move to either eventually push products or block another opportunity from a competitor to do the same thing? Who knows, but with something like a YouTube channel I find it extremely weird to be able to sell it off and it have the same appeal and value as the original creator. I mean, even when creators change the direction and focus of their main content in order to gain broader appeal, their subs are all over them for it. Not sure how the numbers stack with this decision, but there must be some merit behind it otherwise it's just a waste of time and cash.

I don't think the new owners of ISR planned things to go down this road. John's final video review and his farewell explaining he had found a new job, he also offered a lifeline to the new owners to work part time on the video reviews. That clearly didn't happen and ISR is left with no one to run it. It's a mammoth role to fill, an employee who is able to script and record/edit videos, has significant space in their own home to sacrifice for their job. Plus all the other duties of being the webmaster and marketing to generate revenue through sponsorship to pay their own salary. And be a hardcore sim racer on top of this. The job is a single employee running an entire business; it's a tall order and certainly stretches beyond a regular 9 to 5 job.

It a fairly precarious business model with so much piled onto one individual and the numbers need to stack up as the company owner needs to make a buck too. No ones going to make their millions running a sim racing entity like ISR, and if the owner is a third party that doesn't contribute then it stretches the generated money further.

Again I say that if the new owner would just release a mission statement that outlines his plans for the site I would feel better about the future of the site, communication is key here! At this point all we have is speculation from everyone's point of view with NO facts from the owner to back up the sites future... 

Edited by oldschoolsq

One person will not be able to manage things again...ISR need a crew if have plans for future....another thing is that finding people from scratch is not so easy...when Darin was around it was easier someone to start on a fly!

1 hour ago, Krassi said:

One person will not be able to manage things again...ISR need a crew if have plans for future....another thing is that finding people from scratch is not so easy...when Darin was around it was easier someone to start on a fly!

I completely agree it's not a one man job. Darrin was able to mentor John into the role, now there is no driving force or experience to steer this ship back on course which will is a major hurdle. I don't think the new owner of ISR expected John to leave, so ISR just came grinding to a halt.