Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Forza 4 first looks from E3

21 posts in this topic

At E3 many new games and technologies are launched or first seen. In the case of Forza Motorsport 4 we were able to drive and test it out. We were also able to talk with Dan Greenawalt, the Creative Director of Turn 10 about its new features. Despite only 2 years after Forza 3 it seems they have come a long way.

Hi Shaun, Many thanks for this excellent interview. Forza 4 looks to be a feature packed extravaganza of a game. I am particularly interested in the new physics that Dan touched on. I do hope they have significantly improved the car handling as much as other aspects of the game and I'm sure many of us will be intrigued to hear your experience of how the driving felt through the new Forza wheel. I also wonder if they have improved the damage modelling after the brillo pad and dent damage of Forza 3.

Regards,

Paul

We were able to spend a bunch of time behind the wheel of a few different cars. One of our next shows will be a very big Forza 4 dedicated show. It will be a very big show and have much of our opinions, tons of driving footage and more.

If you going to add a damage model into a game then you need good AI to keep from ramming into you especially in the back end. This is one area I thought Forza 3 fall a little short but I'm glad to see forza 4 seems more promising. Forget about Kinect can you imagine what Turn 10 could do with a PC version of the game.

VERY excited about this Track Day set up. I really enjoyed setting up something like this in Forza 3 on Nordschleife, but it was a pain to do.

Nice list of enhancements, and I like the inclusion of Top Gear, as long as it's not overdone.

Wonder if they will somehow simulate the road trips for the ultimate driving road?

GT5 pros:

GT5 has better wheel support.

better car physics and handling

better graphics.

Forza 3 pros:

Forza 3 has better engine sounds.

GT5 has some damn stupid useless cars included in it that were unnecessary

I hope Forza 4 fixes the physics. Not sure if they can support the Logitech wheels. I'm not giving up my G25 because both the PS3 and PC support it, I don't see why the xbox360 can't. Looks like F4 will be a great game but if my wheel is not supported I don't see myself picking up an xbox360 and new wheel.

Wonder if they will somehow simulate the road trips for the ultimate driving road?

If you look at the video, at the part where the cars are driving on the "Swiss" road, you can see that each lane of that road is wide enough for two cars side by side.... This seems to be common in many race/driver games (I don't know if this is a limitation of the engine, or a way to make the game easy enough for arcade use). As long as this is not corrected, I think you don't have the ultimate road driving experience...

Bertram

At E3 many new games and technologies are launched or first seen. In the case of Forza Motorsport 4 we were able to drive and test it out. We were also able to talk with Dan Greenawalt, the Creative Director of Turn 10 about its new features. Despite only 2 years after Forza 3 it seems they have come a long way.

Thanks for the update Shaun.

Any rough ETA on that? I'm not in a rush, it would just be nice to know when to check back!

:)

We were able to spend a bunch of time behind the wheel of a few different cars. One of our next shows will be a very big Forza 4 dedicated show. It will be a very big show and have much of our opinions, tons of driving footage and more.

Great and I can't wait....

Hope you found the e-brake this time, hehe.

(no doubt you had a good go with that in the studio already though)

Shaun, is this going to be the official 100th episode or just an E3 report?

By just E3 report that alone will be great but I know you guys by now, lol and fully expect the 100th episode will shift to being extra special. :P

Congratulations too and you guys being so humble in achieving what you have.

I hope Forza 4 fixes the physics. Not sure if they can support the Logitech wheels. I'm not giving up my G25 because both the PS3 and PC support it, I don't see why the xbox360 can't. Looks like F4 will be a great game but if my wheel is not supported I don't see myself picking up an xbox360 and new wheel.

G25 will not be compatible since X360 wheels needs additional hardware (MS chip) that Logitech wheels don't have. This is why the Fanatec GT2 cost $70 more than Gt3 which are basically the exact same wheel. If Logitech did come out with a X360 wheel it would increase the wheel's cost.

Thanks for the update Shaun.

Any rough ETA on that? I'm not in a rush, it would just be nice to know when to check back!

:)

If you subscribe to our You Tube channel, or an RSS feed here at the site, you can be notified ;)

Thanks for watching and a rough ETA for the FM4 piece.. next week..

Awesome video can't wait to see the Forza 4 episode. :D

GT5 pros:

GT5 has better wheel support.

better car physics and handling

better graphics.

Forza 3 pros:

Forza 3 has better engine sounds.

GT5 has some damn stupid useless cars included in it that were unnecessary

Whether or not GT5 has better physics is debatable, yes Forza 3 has some flaws(some big) but bottom line it does have a faster physics engine and more feature rich physics engine and Forza 4 should build on that further with the new data from Pirelli.

If you going to add a damage model into a game then you need good AI to keep from ramming into you especially in the back end. This is one area I thought Forza 3 fall a little short but I'm glad to see forza 4 seems more promising. Forget about Kinect can you imagine what Turn 10 could do with a PC version of the game.

Watch the video and the Ferrari F458 is driven by AI through the other cars on the track and even with a much faster car it doesn't hit any of other cars on the track.

This has to do with licensing by the manufacturers and until there is a break through you will not see much better, Turn 10 is not one to make only certain cars have certain features so if Ferrari or even Ford(which I know for a fact) will not all crippling car damage and mostly around the driver you will not see it on any of the cars.

If you look at the video, at the part where the cars are driving on the "Swiss" road, you can see that each lane of that road is wide enough for two cars side by side.... This seems to be common in many race/driver games (I don't know if this is a limitation of the engine, or a way to make the game easy enough for arcade use). As long as this is not corrected, I think you don't have the ultimate road driving experience...

Bertram

I don't understand your complaint, are you saying that the engine is limited and can't have narrow roads?

If that is what you're trying to say I highly suggest that you go pick up a copy of Forza Motorsport 3 and try out Rally Di Positano. Also it's a fantasy track and having wider roads can serve as a way to make it harder also by allowing higher speeds.

G25 will not be compatible since X360 wheels needs additional hardware (MS chip) that Logitech wheels don't have. This is why the Fanatec GT2 cost $70 more than Gt3 which are basically the exact same wheel. If Logitech did come out with a X360 wheel it would increase the wheel's cost.

It is not just the hardware. That is a small part. You can buy 360 compatible controllers for $30 so the chip can't add that much to the cost of a 360 compatible wheel.

The 360 Force Feedback operates differently than PC and PS3. It is probably better because it is probably takes a little overhead off the 360 but adds some to the wheel. I think it makes the software on the wheel more difficult. They may even need a slightly more powerful chip on the wheel.

I think both those things don't really add that much to the long term costs of a wheel. The software thing makes it more expensive to initially develop the wheel but I don't think it adds that much to the production of the wheel. If you could sell a lot of wheels, I don't think the price of a 360 wheel would be that much more.

The problem is that there is a limited market for an expensive wheel for the 360. Fanatec took over a year to sell 10,000 wheels. I think they had to sell it at such a premium to recoup that development cost. I really think the main reason Logitech never sold a 360 FF wheel is that the cost of development never justified what they would make. With the G25/G27, there were so many PS2s out there and GT5 sold so well and that the FF was the same as for the PC, that there was a market that justified it. I think now that there are so many 360s out there, they probably are thinking about a 360 wheel. The problem is that they are competing for that limited market with Fanatec.

One question:

What wheels were show cased at the beginning of this video and where can I buy them?

Fanatec CRS and Fanatec CSR Elite wheels. They are not for sale yet ... not sure if they have mentioned any release date for them either. They also will be bringing out CSR pedals priced between the Clubsport and regular pedals, as well as a Club Sport shifter and Club Sport hand brake. The CSR pedals and Club Sport hand brake were shown at E3. The Club Sport shifter hasn't been shown yet as far as I'm aware. I think there is a CSR shifter as well that was shown at E3, but I'm not sure if that will be sold separately or bundled with the CSR wheels when they become available.

Nice to see this presentation, by the way. There is a little bit of extra information that wasn't included in the other E3 presentation that is out on the web. Still looking forward to a proper interview though that answers more detailed questions than what is shown in this presentation ... and make no mistake about it, this is a presentation, not an interview.

So many questions, so little info, so little patience. The Forza team have mentioned they are using data from Pirelli to construct a new tire model and they claim this dramatically improves physics. No word yet on improvements to the damage modelling or whether you can truely turn the racing assists off etc.

I am also very excited by the new Fanatec wheel that looks great and I would love to find out how it compares with the Thrustmaster. Knowing Thomas, I bet it has a few tricks up its sleeve that pushes the envelope. Now its that darned waiting game.

Regards,

Paul

So many questions, so little info, so little patience. The Forza team have mentioned they are using data from Pirelli to construct a new tire model and they claim this dramatically improves physics. No word yet on improvements to the damage modelling or whether you can truely turn the racing assists off etc.

I am also very excited by the new Fanatec wheel that looks great and I would love to find out how it compares with the Thrustmaster. Knowing Thomas, I bet it has a few tricks up its sleeve that pushes the envelope. Now its that darned waiting game.

Regards,

Paul

agreed it's exciting