Finished my Simul8r based build
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I mocked this up without glue then used it a bit to see what I wanted to modify.  In the end I changed it quite a bit.  I changed the back to raise the seat to more easily get in and out of it which then required the front "table top" to be raised.  Also changed the front to make the pedals a more natural comfortable fit.  I made a few other minor changes to make it better fit my frame size (5' 9").  I also added a cup holder which even has a slot for the cup handle :) and the mouse pad area.
Other than the PVC it's just painted MDF.  My wife lets me put this in the living room so I can use the 80" TV so I figured it should look at least a little cool.  Yeah, the living room...my wife is pretty cool.  I have a bunch of performance parts stickers and am contemplating putting them on it but am torn as they probably wouldn't easily come off if I don't like them.

20180313_135258.jpg

20180313_135522.jpg

20180313_140137.jpg

Now that is a purty rig 72Z!  Very well done!  I see you raised the seat shortening the overall length.  What's your overall impression of the design  while sim racing?

Wow, a compliment on my build from the man himself.  I'm honored.

I raised the seat as I'm a bit older (53).  Not that it's a problem now but I've been a gamer my whole life starting when they first came out in arcades and I intend to continue into "older" age where dropping into and getting out of a lower seat might become more challenging.  Also, I used it for racing and other driving games.  With the changes I made it's more like driving a regular car and less like reclining in a formula racer.  Raising the seat was why I had to tilt the front pedals down a bit as it made the pedal angle "unnatural" and uncomfortable.  I also had to shortened the two long base horizontal pipes making the rig shorter overall (I was too far from the pedals/wheel).  I'm not sure if this was because I perhaps positioned the pedals to far forward at their mounting location or if it was because I raised the seat.  As it is now, my wife is 5'5" and with the seat fully forward the wheel and pedals are perfect for her.  I have to put the seat back just a bit but very little (5'9").  The seat will go way back so I'm assuming someone well over 6' could use it but anyone shorter than about 5'5" will have trouble reaching the pedals.  I also changed the mount for the table.  I went from one pipe fore to aft under it to two pipes.  I was going to make it so the table was adjustable fore/aft along those two pipes so it would have "telescopic steering" but, to be honest, just got too excited to get driving and passed on that.

Overall, I'm super happy with it.  It is very comfortable for me with posture, wheel, pedals, and controls positions all feeling very natural.  I can only think of one improvement.  I wish I'd changed the two 90 elbows on the left side of the seat base to T's and built a PVC frame by my seat for a dog bed.  My small dog loves to sit by me when I'm driving and it's pretty clear that when I'm gaming he wants to also go for the drive.

Thanks again for the comment.

Edited by 72Zorad