A Touring Car Sim build v1
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hi all from another Aussie on the forums in Perth.

I've been browsing a little while now, since I got a set of the Samsung Odyssey VR goggles.

After a bit of research, I then ordered the Thrustmaster T300 GT RS set , which led me to wanting g to build a cockpit (I've already built a number of flight Sim cockpits).

I looked at the designs and although they were good, but I wanted something different, I thought it had to at least look similar to a car cockpit.

So I used our Touring cars (Bathurst 1000 racing) as my "style"

I also just happen to have a CNC with Aspire software  in my garage so i started to design....

I styled the front to look like a touring car, (falcon or commodore) with a southern cross logo on the front with the seat going to have the HDT lion and helmet. (I haven't built the seat yet), I decided on the logo because its a good design and one I can do on my CNC.

I made a few mistakes so far which I fixed some last night, moving the wheel back 200mm. This is a prototype I may sell it and make another. 

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

The third image is my being impatient and testing before I put a seat in, glad I did as the  wheel was too far back (more laid back like an F1.) I wanted more upright.

I sat a few friends down with the CAR goggles on and I think the screams said it all.(from the ladies), the guy who tried (Mitch 20) said "Wooooow, this is the shit,  love it"

So this weekend I move it to the downstairs lounge before the wife realises, and work out a good way of covering it when not in use. 

I think getting everyone to try it also it to the wife.... For once I have a degree of WAF.

IMG_20180121_115647.jpg

IMG_20180120_194946.jpg

IMG_20180121_222805.jpg

Edited by dupontin
Title change

I cut the first side of the seat, and about 5 slats, I realised the side had too many holes for the seat "pan" to sit under my butt. so I filled in two holes.

I will join the slats with dowel and glue, and probably put a supporting piece along under the struts.

This unit's my prototype, hence there are a few corrections, which I'm incorporating in my plans for the next one.

The cutting for the seat side with 5 slats and also some cam locks (using up spare space on the 920x600 panel.) took about 2hrs 20 minutes, with me sitting there watching, so much easier than using a jigsaw.

Daughter (18) is having a "gathering" today only 40 delinquents turning up, so it curtails me cutting the left side today, the best bit is that they'll be up early cleaning up.

I also experimented with colouring some resin silver, so I can fill the patterns in the seat.

As a question for those who have built seats, what size seat pan have you built?   

Some I have seen range from 370 - 500mm.

if anyone in Perth is looking for a unit, I may be persuaded to do one for them. (cost + a slab of blondies).

IMG_20180127_115455.jpg

IMG_20180127_115438.jpg

IMG_20180127_115503.jpg

IMG_20180127_115532.jpg

Ok for my next version I want to make the panel for the pedals using a hinge with a mechanism so they can be moved.

What do others use ? Barrel or gate bolts or something else.

I notice you lot are rather quiet, maybe no one owns keyboards ? ;-) 

my painting leaves a lot to be desired, the blue spray cans were a bit patchy, i'm wondering if a roller would work better.

I tried filling the shapes in the photo above, but because I put paint in there the hardner has not worked as well, the filling is soft still after 24hrs. I still want to fill the logo's on the sides then sand it flat, so it has a single level/layer, maybe coat with a polyurethane ?

I notice that there are very few responses to posts.

if you are reading this maybe you have a lot of experience, or maybe none at all.

A forum works by all sorts posting, let me know your thoughts/opinion. 

Until 2-3 weeks ago I had not thought about building a car seat/cockpit, Although I have a lot of experience with flight sims.

Please start chatting, let me know what style you like, maybe you don't like my design, that's ok, it's not finished yet, maybe my second version will incorporate your  thoughts ???

Some people love F1's others rally driving, I would like a sim to do more than one type, maybe the future will be a cockpit that the seat reclines for F1 and rises for rally driving ?

what are your thoughts ?

I also would like to provide a way so that you and many others can build a sim at low cost, but that looks good.

Yes it is very disappointing to join a forum, post your build progress and get no response. 

In my opinion your design looks good but I have only ever owned pre-manufactured steel cockpits so I am probably not in the best position to comment on design.

I think seat adjustability would be a very good idea and having the seat separate should help in being able to achieve that. The Southern Cross is a must but the only thing I thought was missing is some flutes in the front guards and a stubby holder.  

18 hours ago, Jurld said:

I think this place is pretty dead, overall, unfortunately.

What you've done looks fantastic.

Thanks Jurld, its still only a V1. i've already updated the drawings to reflect learnings.

6 hours ago, Bushchook said:

Yes it is very disappointing to join a forum, post your build progress and get no response. 

In my opinion your design looks good but I have only ever owned pre-manufactured steel cockpits so I am probably not in the best position to comment on design.

I think seat adjustability would be a very good idea and having the seat separate should help in being able to achieve that. The Southern Cross is a must but the only thing I thought was missing is some flutes in the front guards and a stubby holder.  

Hey Bushchook

Mate you are spot on, the next version already has an 80mm hole in the top, I considered a 65mm standard stubby/can sized  hole, but went with the 80mm to allow for either a pint glass or stubby holder.

I realised it was needed when I went to do my first drink drive (on the sim). My drive was hilarious, after a few ales my co-ordination was up sh*t creek.

i've had to spend this weekend doing chores for SWMBO, so not much chance of building further.

I'm looking for a source for the seat rails, so far $30 plus $29 delivery is the lowest i've found.

I'll look at the front guard flutes, i've already changed the flutes under the headlights to a mock scoop, painted black. so doing others is just a matter of design changes.

Edited by dupontin