PC vs Console for the Electronically Challenged...??

9 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. My father in-law is  a racing enthusiast who goes to a Porsche driving school in Alabama once a year. He has shown interest in setting up a simulator at his home, which means I will have to set up a simulator at his home.;-)

He is not very good with electronics in general and while all signs point to iRacing for the most realistic simulator / best online community, I worry he won't be able to handle the complex nature of the game.

So my question is... Should I just say "screw it" and start ordering him everything he needs for iRacing, or would getting a PS4 with Assetto Corsa be the right choice for someone like him? It would give us the option of using PS4 VR which seems like a bonus.

Anyway, I have searched the forums and just can't make up my mind. I was hoping a few kind souls could help "steer" me in the right direction.

Thanks, in advance, for your responses.

edit: He would prefer to have a game that contains the Barber Motorsports Park track which he drives every year.

-P

Edited by p-rizzle

I cannot with a conscious recommend  console racing. 

I would go PC with an Oculus rift VR setup for  realism and being able to look into your turns.

I've tried TrackIR and VR wins hands down.  even with triple  90"  monitor setup that wraps around you, the VR is a better 1:1 scale experience.

Furthermore the iRacing is very good and you also have Rfactor2 and other sims on PC!

For a start the costs are vastly different so that should be something that needs to be determined. Sim racing on console is far cheaper, less complicated and currently limited to two game titles if your goal is simulation over arcade. 

The PC opens up more simulation titles and many further options of hardware to increase the realism and immersion. Unfortunately PC component prices have also spiked over the last few months so it's never been more expensive to get into PC gaming. On console everyone has the same hardware, there's no compromise. On PC the more you spend improves the gaming experience with better performance and visual quality. For an average gaming PC you should expect to pay 3 or 4 times the price of the console.

It's very easy for any of us to say go balls out and spend thousands, I'm a PC gamer and sim racing is only a percentage of that hobby. If I came from a standing start with no gear and all I wanted was something for sim racing I would go with a console. Long term I would consider a PC if this felt like a hobby I really wanted to invest a lot of time into.

Edited by Jeremy.Ford

On 1/23/2018 at 7:17 AM, Jeremy.Ford said:

For a start the costs are vastly different so that should be something that needs to be determined. Sim racing on console is far cheaper, less complicated and currently limited to two game titles if your goal is simulation over arcade. 

The PC opens up more simulation titles and many further options of hardware to increase the realism and immersion. Unfortunately PC component prices have also spiked over the last few months so it's never been more expensive to get into PC gaming. On console everyone has the same hardware, there's no compromise. On PC the more you spend improves the gaming experience with better performance and visual quality. For an average gaming PC you should expect to pay 3 or 4 times the price of the console.

It's very easy for any of us to say go balls out and spend thousands, I'm a PC gamer and sim racing is only a percentage of that hobby. If I came from a standing start with no gear and all I wanted was something for sim racing I would go with a console. Long term I would consider a PC if this felt like a hobby I really wanted to invest a lot of time into.

Jeremy, you are correct the price is a bit higher, but i wouldn't say you need to spend 3-4x as much especially if you shop around for peoples stuff. Just like anything else there are people who always want the newest toy and will get rid of the old version for pennies on the dollar. As long as you are careful doing this you should be fine. With that said many people buy the $600 premade pc's and they can run iracing just fine. Iracing does not take a super powerful pc. When i first got started i ran it on my laptop which was a minor upgraded dell, not a gaming pc at all. 

Since I am a newbie I am leaning toward an X box X model just for the ease.  I would need a step by step video of how to hook a PC up and make all the adjustments.  the X box X is about $500.  Hope that will suffice for now.  I have a PC that I use to program Cad/Cam that is high end stuff and thought of using that but don't know if I want to do that.  If I go X box and run Assetto Corsa will it be simple to get up and running?  You can tell I am conflicted with what way to go

Edited by csdilligaf

12 minutes ago, csdilligaf said:

Since I am a newbie I am leaning toward an X box X model just for the ease.  I would need a step by step video of how to hook a PC up and make all the adjustments.  the X box X is about $500.  Hope that will suffice for now.  I have a PC that I use to program Cad/Cam that is high end stuff and thought of using that but don't know if I want to do that.  If I go X box and run Assetto Corsa will it be simple to get up and running?  You can tell I am conflicted with what way to go

Yes AC should be simple to set up on XBOX but with PC you've got Mods ,,,Lots of mods ,,endless amounts of mods ,,,its like mod heaven ,,, cars and tracks galore ,,,lol

On 21-1-2018 at 8:20 PM, p-rizzle said:

It would give us the option of using PS4 VR which seems like a bonus.

unfortunately this is not the case as PSVR is only for use with GT sport.(for now at-least)  AC and Project cars didn't incorporate the use of VR on console versions. Anyway, AC and PC2 are great sims on console. GT-sport is great too, but more of a arcade style racer. AC has the best FFB. Dirt 4 is great too (full vr capable). 

pros:

Cheaper, easy setup and go. great sim experience.

cons:

no vr support on AC and PC2. VR on gt-sport is great, but just a gimmick so no online battles. Lack of support for 21:9 screens + multiple screen setups. lack of extra options like motion (except for ugly caniseg(personal opinion) or simvibe. 

Edited by Tjobbie

A used $150-200 i7 pc(looks like 4770s are getting available in this price range now) with a 1050Ti graphics card for $150 more is about the same power as a console and quite easy to work with, as it will already have Windows installed. A 1060 graphics card is recommended as the minimum for VR, so maybe upgrade down the line if you're interested in the Rift. Live For Speed will run fine in VR on a 1050Ti, at least until the upcoming graphics update. That could be years out though, given the speed of the devs...

iRacing isn't that complicated to get into for someone that's never owned a PC before. The forums are very helpful and there are tons of getting started or setup guides available as long as he can figure out how to Google. If he really just can't follow instructions, then go for PS4, but know that you're drastically limiting the amount of content available to drive. If he's not interested in what's available on Project Cars 2 and AC for console, then is it really worth the alleged money saved over PC? 

iRacing isn't daunting if taken one step at a time, and given the structure they have it moves relatively slowly. If you're really worried about it, then get a license for Sim Commander/SimVibe and set it to run fullscreen at startup as a launcher for iRacing. Show him where the power button is for when he's done racing and help him with first time setup for the wheel and graphics settings and you're good to go.