Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need for Speed Shift Review - Ep 50

70 posts in this topic

I think you guys pretty much hit the nail on the head with my asessment of NFS: Shift. Although it looks great and is definitely the best NFS game in quite some time (Last one I enjoyed was Underground), there's just something "off" about it. Well, for this reason, I bought the PS3 version when it went on sale at Best Buy a few weeks ago. I'm still enjoying it, and I can always use my G25 - if I can get it away from my PC, that is... lol.

You got Jessica to say "Turisimo Carretera"! Nice! :D

As always guys - Great show!

Great review on the Shift guys, I totally agree with you when it comes to the physics. It just seems like there is a disconnect with the wheel.

One thing I loved about the game is that they have Willow Spring track, I do a lots of time trials there in real life and the lay out of the track was spot on (not counting all the fake buildings and signs of course :lol: ) I started with my real car in stock version in the game (subaru STi) and the times I was getting was right around the times I got in real life when my car was stock. Then I did the similar mods in game that I have in real life and tried again and was getting very similar lap times.

Anyways, thanks again for the review and keep up the good work.

A little commentary from me on the LFS FBMW review for top simcars. You were talking about shaking of dash.

It is not the dash shaking is is your head.

And i am sure its customizable under (guessing since i am not in front) View.

It should be able to turn off/low/high. Will try and look later if i can get the screenprint somewhere.

Otherwise great stuff as usual. maybe you could have mentioned when reviewing damage the damage mod for NFSS.

definitely worthing waiting, nice review as usual, cheers guys!

but i think sounds of shift deserve more score. not sure how realistic the engine sounds of each car are comparing with in real life, but the sound effect is just technically amazing. the Subwoofer makes my floor and desk shaking, really feel like sitting in a rolling car. it's not just easily loud, the sound quality is just outstanding.

Hi Spike..

Someone commented on our You Tube channel that the shaking tach is because we turned the wheel off and the wheel has the gauge.

We still gave it a 9 in cockpit though..

Also on NFS, we didn't want to go to deep into the modding, we'll probably go into more detail about the mods at a alter date. We wanted to rate the standard version that the 360 and PS3 owners would be playing too. With the mods, I would bet our overall score would come up to 80.

Thanks for the compliments and to everyone who complimented the show too.. That was a long one to put togther.. Now we do Top Race and Supercar Challenge and we have 3 days.. I think we may be late again ;). We want it out before the calendar turns to November though.. So we're going to bust some ass to get it done !

Darin

A little commentary from me on the LFS FBMW review for top simcars. You were talking about shaking of dash.

It is not the dash shaking is is your head.

And i am sure its customizable under (guessing since i am not in front) View.

It should be able to turn off/low/high. Will try and look later if i can get the screenprint somewhere.

Otherwise great stuff as usual. maybe you could have mentioned when reviewing damage the damage mod for NFSS.

Hi Spike..

Someone commented on our You Tube channel that the shaking tach is because we turned the wheel off and the wheel has the gauge.

Also on NFS, we didn't want to go to deep into the modding, we'll probably go into more detail about the mods at a alter date. We wanted to rate the standard version that the 360 and PS3 owners would be playing too. With the mods, I would bet our overall score would come up to 80.

Thanks for the compliments and to everyone who complimented the show too.. That was a long one to put togther.. Now we do Top Race and Supercar Challenge and we have 3 days.. I think we may be late again ;). We want it out before the calendar turns to November though.. So we're going to bust some ass to get it done !

Darin

Check the NFS SHIFT thread on some ideas on mods.

Hi Spike..

Darin

Yup looks better with wheel display looks lost now. The display does not bounce and that is what you notice. So the youtube guy is correct. You can adjust the shaking as well, although i like the touch. We just need bumpier tracks in LFS to make it more at its place.

Watching the show now, and I cant help but squirm a bit when you say "Forza MotorsportS"...its not plural, it is Forza Motorsport. Not sure where/why you guys keep saying that, but I couldnt stand it anymore! hehe

Great show otherwise!

ps- I LOVE the outakes at the end!

I have to agree with the score for the game, I been turned off to the need for speed series after the first need for speed underground game. Now the driver view thing was pretty unique with the driver feel and everything but thats all I liked. All in all good show even thou it was late, but thats ok. 8-)

Enjoyd the show very much Guys. Not looking for new racinggames atm. But found the show funny to watch,the outtakes are nice.

to the Topsimcarlist, GTR2 got some nice mods aswell, the one on the end of the list is blot out the look a bit.

And you notice, the GTLegends Lobby is back online.

cu :) keep it real ;)

I only played PS3 demo of NFS Shift but it did feel a bit strange. Ok the second track on the demo is very similar to one of the track on Grid. Looked like different renditions of the same track (sorry forgot the name). But I could do things on that track I would never been able to do in Grid. In Grid if I would approach a given corner at same speed I would be flying and spinning. NFS seam to be way more forgiving. Just mine observation but I do not have the full game yet. I been way behind lately. I also need to get Dirt 2 so I think for now Dirt 2 is priority.

Just got done watching Episode 50, and I have to say that you three have way too much fun in making these shows! And that's great, because it makes it fun for us viewers to watch! Keep up the great work, and keep calling them like you see them (as in giving NFS Shift a 77, much to the distain of many I'm sure).

One of the best shows yet imho. Loved the outtakes on the end =)

Good review of shift too. Don't own the game but spend about 6 hours with it at a friends house (he does his gaming using a projector. So it's pretty intense stuff that way =)). One thing i totally don't agree on is 'Presentation'. I think it's awfull. Weird colours, strange backgrounds. The artdirection went completely wrong there. Dirt2 had some 'in your face' presentation with the whole swooping around wobbly cam. But i got used to it and it worked for that game. The presentation in Shift is just weird and not working (for me).

I was dialing in settings at that moment and he didn't know I hit record.. That was about all he gave us.. He's not even sure who he was imitating..lol

My favorite moments from those outtakes are..

Shaun: "V8 Superstars.." and how he says it a few times.. then pauses about 10 seconds and blurts it out again..

Jessica: "You scared the brain cells outta me"

Jessica: " I think I cussed"

Shaun: "After da first pit stop, I knew we had a chance at da win"

Can we get a little more of Shaun's interview from the end of the show? That 5 seconds was priceless!

Still going to come.. Sony is sending us a PSP so we can test multiplayer out as well as hooking it up to a monitor.

Thanks for the show and im loving it but i wounder what happend to GT for psp rewiew as promised ? You guys just forgot that review ?

Thanks alot!

/Alexander

Sweden

Just for your guide "FCUK" is indeed a clothing brand, standing for "French Connection UK".

Literally hours of misspelled japery in their adverts. ;)

Who the hell thought FCUK was a good name for a brand? Our brains don't read letter by letter so most people will instinctively read the f word.

Nice review on Shift. I agree with you on many points.

For me Shift is something of an enigma. The general structure of the game (short races, no qualifying etc) is never going to appeal to the traditional simmer, so the obvious question is why should SMS put realistic physics in it? And again why hire RBR developer Eero Piitulainen to produce the tyre physics for an arcade game? Doesn't make sense.

And yet if I drive the 911 RSR at Donington in sim mode (no mods), I have the same laptime as when I drive the 911 RSR in GTR2, reaching the same speeds on the straights, and braking at the same points. Same with the MC12. Both cars are more forgiving (the MC12 much more so) but otherwise someone has gone to the trouble of making the physics match GTR2 for realism.

The cars in Shift feel much quicker because of the increased sense of speed but the laptimes are the same. I'm surprised you didn't mention the feeling of speed (perhaps I missed it) as it has to be one of the features that stands out - in the level 4 cars you feel like you are driving in fast motion. And while the sense of speed makes the cooking level 1 and 2 cars seem more exciting than they would in a traditional sim, I do wonder if it fools some into thinking they are going faster than they are and so the physics must be arcade.

While Ian Bell claimed the most realistic physics he also said that for SMS realistic did not equal hard to drive - so in that sense he has delivered what he promised.

The physics engine is also something of an enigma. It has the ISI engine at its roots and some parts look familiar but clearly other parts are very different. It can't be accurate to say it uses the ISI engine, anymore than its accurate to say iRacing uses the NR2003 physics engine, and while there are "mods" available for it, they are not mods in the GTR2/rFactor sense i.e. new cars and tracks, at least at the moment.

My personal view is they have probably gone too far in making the racing cars forgiving. I agree with your comment that if you drive it like a sim it feels OK but if you don't you can take too many liberties - I was amazed at the angles I could get with the MC12 for example.

But for production cars I think forgiving tyres are more appropriate and in Shift I can drive production cars like they do in Top Gear, while power-sliding in some other sims seems too difficult. In a sense I think Shift is the Top Gear of racing sims - it is aimed at a broad audience, its designed to look good, and its about driving the cars like you stole them rather than worrying about fuel consumption and tyre wear. I just wish the AI was a bit more orderly. I can understand them toning down the damage to reduce frustration, but I find the AI in large grid races far more frustrating.

Force feedback is a very personal thing. Having been brought up on GPL and ISI engined sims I'm used to the "light=sliding or limit of grip" FFB. Shift is more like RBR I think in that the steering doesn't go light at the limit, though when you spend some time with it you can pick up a change on the limit, its just much more subtle. Having acclimatised to Shift FFB I now find say GTR2 FFB rather strange - it does its job of giving you feedback on grip levels but I think Shift feels more realistic.

Who the hell thought FCUK was a good name for a brand? Our brains don't read letter by letter so most people will instinctively read the f word.

the f word means good things too, for a clothing brand it can be very tempting.