Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need a rig for both Gaming and Work

4 posts in this topic

Soooo, I guess this belongs here since I'll probably have to end up making my own rig anyway.

I've wanted a playseat for a while now, with my sister shortly moving out I get her room, which does have some more room than my current one, but thinking I'll still have to fit 2 desks in there, one for gaming and 1 for modelling, i don't think I'll have proper space for a playseat. 

Now, I want to be able to play both F1, pCars or any other racing game, but also be able to use the same desk for other games that require a keyboard / mouse or just for work.

This means I will need a rig that's sort of 2 in 1, so that I can use the same chair to comfortably play games and work.

Any ideas?

For dual purpose I'd really concentrate on proper ergonomics for the "keyboard & mouse" purpose. If you spend ANY more than 30 minutes a day sitting at the computer, you MUST do this to avoid long-term postural and repetitive-stress injuries.

This involves a proper, adjustable keyboard tray with mouse pad and a fully ergonomically adjustable office/desk chair. Depending on how the keyboard tray is mounted,  you can mount the wheel and set the pedals in place when it is time to race. It will be less than ideal because any decent office chair will come with casters and want to roll around.  So you should probably look at some way to secure the office chair in a fixed position, either with locking casters or by removing them altogether, or else anchoring it to the desk somehow when it is time to race.

A good keyboard tray and office chair will likely cost as much as a nice wheel/pedals set. But seriously, it's worth it to avoid injury. Take it from somebody who has had to deal with it...