Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shift 2 Unleashed Final Review

16 posts in this topic

Thanks for the review! Was interested in what you guys would think bout this title. Great show as always. Good to see Jessica there too!

I'm glad you guys brought up the collision issues whereas 2 cars get sucked into a vacuum. I hope they patch that one. It really ruins multiplayer for me.

Agreed with pretty much everything there. That's an interesting observation about the 'aids are always on'. I can tell you guys put a LOT of thought into these reviews so I appreciate the effort and I am sure many others do too! :D

Oh btw, I guess you guys tossed away the t500rs wheels???! Haven't seen you guys use your #1 wheel in forever now haha. But guess you can't cover all the wheels, etc. I've really enjoyed this game with my t500rs wheel. Could use a bit more FFB though....

Another excellent review.

I don't have this title nor plan on getting it but the review was top notch.

It was nice to see Jessica again, been a while. :)

Take care

Regards: >>>> Jack <<<<

I might have missed it but I didnt hear anything about the Input delay that seems still present even after the first patch. I feel one of the main problems has to do with Input Delay in all phases of the game.

Great review, I agree with all the pros, cons and "mehs" :lol:

The PTMu mod made the game more sim-like for me, although if you try to beat game from 0 to 100% with the mod installed it seems way harder than without the mod. I'd only recommend it for people who already finished the game.

One thing I noticed is that Tom is talking waaaaaay more than any other time in this revew :D , maybe from the excitement for the 914 being in the top sim car list?

And as Catapult said, nice to see Jessica again, it's been a while :)

Great work as always guys, thank you!

Great review, I agree with all the pros, cons and "mehs" :lol:

The PTMu mod made the game more sim-like for me, although if you try to beat game from 0 to 100% with the mod installed it seems way harder than without the mod. I'd only recommend it for people who already finished the game.

I made 100% of the carreer (include 3 Dr Pepper and 40 Limited Edition events) with PTMu, and I never had fun with a FunSim like this before.

PTMu FTW !

Good review. I also still notice the lag after patching. And it is really annoying, especially in drift as I think I am loosing on it there the most. And on a small note tyre wear seems to be only in drift (if you call that wear), one thing which you did not mention.

Also not sure you have this problem, but drift on the wheeetl seems to be a little "artificial". Very difficult to get the hang of it, and it seems very fake so to speak. Read on different forums and its generally not only my point of view. Also weird drift, and in general the game, seems to be easier on the controller than the wheel. Still playing with my wheel settings, hope I will get them right and get the hang of drift.

Hi guys.

Quick word on the review - agree with most of the things you said...the exception being the trackside objects/detail. I know that the NFS Shift series goes very much overboard with the trackside detail which in real life does not exist, but that actually caters for hardcore sim racers like me who are pig sick of the likes of the GTR series and other hardcore sims which show very little off in the way of something nice to look at. My biggest complaint is that the sim's don't go easy on the eye...and at the end of the day - sim or no sim (which NFS Shift 2 is definately not - arcade sim I would say), the game has to be fun and for me look good also...for me that includes aesthetics.

Thanks guys - great show.

Mark.

I think it's odd how the game looks and performs (graphically) so much worse than Shift 1.

The marbling seems overdone to me, unless everyone's racing on retreads...and an 18-wheeler. ;) Those aren't marbles, they're boulders!

For the game itself, I think it's one of the most appealing sets of cars I've seen in a single game. No duds. Not a huge list, just a GOOD list.

FFB...much better than the first---before mods. FFB is subtle and smooth with good presence.

Now if only I could run it well without having to upgrade my graphics card to make it presentable while maintaining a decent fps. I miss having high settings and 55-60 fps.

Nice to see Jessica back again ...

good review and explained perfectly why I won't be getting this title

Tom ... you should show us some of your real life racing, even if its not professional footage it would still be a neat thing to have on the show

Thanks for the S2U review!

I am running the PS3 version of S2U and graphically I must say it looks 'meh.'

I finally found out from your review that odd noise is from the car running over the 'marbles.' Until I read the reviews I kept wondering what the hell was making the 'wukah wukah wukah wukah' sound in game!

I also second the complaint or con about all of the PS3 S2U in-game adverts! It is over the top in my opinion and detracts from the game atmosphere. imho,ymmv

I also second the call for racing gamemakers to have an in-cockpit option to eliminate the graphic wheel and hands (call it a 'dashboard'?). I am not some kind of krishna with 4 arms playing these games!

I am not convinced that the S2U input lag is gone. However, I may be encounting my lag due to running the game on a PS3, Tele in game mode, and an old sloppy DFP wheel.

Overall, I do like S2U. I am playing it much more than GT5.

:)

Surprised to see GT5 rated an 83 and Shift 2 hit 84. I realize this is based on several different categories, but I'm curious, regardless of which one rated higher, which one would you rather play?

Personally I'd rather play GT5. It all comes down to the different categories though on the Shibami.. GT5 got hurt in Damage for one and then sounds as well.